20 Things No One Tells You About Running

Options

Replies

• gattogurl
    gattogurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post..thank you!! I am 4 months into my running adventure..and some of these I have learned, some of these I look forward to learning..and some I hope to never learn..lol. This rocks!! Thanks again!!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    great list. love the additions too. :smile:
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

18. Farts happen. A lot.

Why I hate running on the treadmill instead of outdoors :laugh:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    #21 - there are few things more devastating than an injury that stops you running for 3 months.
    this is oh so very true.

23. Runs that used to be a big accomplishment become "I only..." As in - "I only ran five miles today." Don't forget to celebrate how far you've come!
    yes! so true! :drinker:
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Love this...so very very much!!!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am primarily a lifter but ran my first half marathon in September.

I would like to add chaffing to the list, I bled in a couple of places during my half which didn't make for attractive post run pics.

I always find when I cross path with other runners, we always check out each others footwear :laugh:
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Love that. Just started and it cracked me up but didn't deter me in any way. ;)
  • slimster1970
    slimster1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did my first race of any kind in September, a half marathon in London (same one Flixie chaffed at :-)) and what I never appreciated during training was the feeling standing before the race with a whole lot of other people who have felt the same things. I was a little overwhelmed at that point and at least know how it will be next time.

Can't wait for my first marathon next year.
  • slimster1970
    slimster1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I should have said 18. is brilliant.

The non runners on the streets don't know you're not looking round for traffic but to see who is close.......
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    New runner ...this sounds terrifying! Black toes and blisters, farts and incontinence...nice!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Another one I've found (new runner of about 5 months).

The high after a good run lasts a few hours and makes you do things like sign up for a new challenge you wouldn't normally consider sober

(Guess who's now signed up for a 10k and half marathon despite only doing my first 'competitive' 5k last weekend!)
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    #21 - there are few things more devastating than an injury that stops you running for 3 months.

This.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I love the list, but I would like to modify this one.

19. Running performance is as much, if not more, about mental strength as your physical strength.

I would suggest that your running performance is all about your mental strength "during training". During a race your "red line" is pretty much defined by your fitness level, and you can't will your body to perform at a level higher than you've prepared it for.

Great list though!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    :drinker: DO runners even lift? They mostly look dehydrated to me

Me (a marathon runner) suffering from dehydration.

4add8eca-deef-4564-8d9f-431eb369ec88_zpse5d7678d.jpg
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Love it!

I wish someone had told me that I would be permanently regrowing the skin on my chest below my sports bra. I have no idea why I keep chafing there (different bras, plenty of body glide and other chafing protection - WTF??), but I have a permanent chafe line. Also sometimes you chafe in bizarre places and don't know it until you get into a hot shower. OUCH! Two weeks ago I chafed on my collar bone - how is that even possible???

And to the person who responded about using a porta potty instead of peeing yourself, I think the OP wasn't talking about actually needing to pee and choosing not to use a bathroom. LOL Sometimes pee happens when you least expect it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Loved it! I can relate to every single one of them!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    4. If you only run and don’t do anything else (cross train, strength train), you will probably get injured.

This needs to be screamed from the highest mountain top. I see a lot of people who are just getting into running or have been doing it for sometime but don't do anything else. And they need to be educated on the fact that without supplementing it with additional activities, they may be doing their body more harm than good.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    7. You will go through phases where you feel totally inadequate as a runner.

8. You will go through phases where you feel totally like a rock star as a runner.

I resonate with these two. It was only running in the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer!
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

FACE99993149AEA27853277298D1_h316_w628_m5_cBadnFyeU.jpg