Coffee as water intake?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Why log water at all? People's needs are so individual that logging to meet some quota is pointless. Does the person live in a hot humid climate, or in a cold dry climate? Does the person engage in a lot of manual labor, or are they sedentary. Male or female? 6' 4" and 260 lbs, or 5' 1" 115 lbs.

So long as you are adequately hydrated, more water is not better. Just drink enough to keep your pee a pale yellow and you'll be fine.

(And your body does not discriminate between straight water, water contained in fruit, water in soft drinks, water in coffee, water in milk, etc. It's all water to you metabolism.)

I DON'T log water at all and never have for the very reasons you have stated. I completely agree.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    when I worked as a nurse, we recorded and tracked all fluid intakes...water, tea, coffee, soft drinks, juices. All liquids.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    when I worked as a nurse, we recorded and tracked all fluid intakes...water, tea, coffee, soft drinks, juices. All liquids.
    Which is what a person with even an elementary understanding of biology would do...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    what I've read says that regular drinkers get used to it, which is not the same as saying that there is no diuretic effect at all. finding something on google that supports your opinion =/= science

Scientific peer reviewed published studies from Medline are hardly your run of the mill 'Google' results.

You didn't read the thread very closely before you commented. That's OK, I'm glad to point you back to my posts in this thread where you can find the actual evidence that coffee is a negligible diuretic.

actually i was responding to the person who said "There are a lot of opinions here but the only one backing it up with scientific studies are the people saying coffee is not a diuretic. Nuf said. "

so obviously this person is getting the message wrong. yes? yes.

Quibbling with semantics are we? The research shows that coffee should count toward your daily intake of fluids. Done.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I get all of my hydration through Nutella.

I mean, that must be water retention, right?
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    All I said initially was:

"coffee is a bit of a diuretic, everyone is wrong for talking in absolutes on both sides of the argument. "

maybe I should have paraphrased it to say 'both extremes of this argument are incorrect, the answer lies in between. Coffee is a diuretic, but the effects of 1-2 cups a day for a regular coffee drinker are generally minimal'

regardless, I am not 'quibbling with semantics'. If asked flat out if coffee has any diuretical properties, the answer would have to be yes.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Voters and breeders. We are doomed.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    All I said initially was:

"coffee is a bit of a diuretic, everyone is wrong for talking in absolutes on both sides of the argument. "

maybe I should have paraphrased it to say 'both extremes of this argument are incorrect, the answer lies in between. Coffee is a diuretic, but the effects of 1-2 cups a day for a regular coffee drinker are generally minimal'

regardless, I am not 'quibbling with semantics'. If asked flat out if coffee has any diuretical properties, the answer would have to be yes.

I don't think I saw anyone claiming it was not a diuretic. What the studies that people (including me) are pasting in say is that the effect is sufficiently small that coffee does hydrate you. Not that it's not a mild diuretic.
  • That is quite interesting. I dislike coffee and never drink it, but have no excess fluid. My husband, who refuses to drink water, but drinks at least six mugs of black coffee daily, needs to take water pills. So this would seem to be the opposite effect as to what you are saying. He keeps saying he doesn't need to drink water, coffee substitutes for water. So I won't dare show him your post.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I double checked and the food diary states at the bottom to drink 8 cups of water per day as a recommendation--not fluid, but water. I log water as water, coffee as coffee, milk as milk, etc. Call me crazy! That being said, coffee intake was once villanized, but now some recent studies support coffee as having some health benefits, in moderation. However, in 20 years, who knows? It is pretty high in potassium and antioxidants.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Water is also diuretic.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Water is also diuretic.

I was going to say this too. :laugh:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Caffeine actually dehydrates you as it is a diuretic, so you should actually be drinking another 2 cups of water for every 8oz. of black coffee you drink.
    Citation needed on the numbers you list, please. Mayo Clinic, for one, disagrees with this assessment, indicating that coffee and tea's diuretic effect is small enough as to be inconsequential to your hydration needs in almost all cases.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    That is quite interesting. I dislike coffee and never drink it, but have no excess fluid. My husband, who refuses to drink water, but drinks at least six mugs of black coffee daily, needs to take water pills. So this would seem to be the opposite effect as to what you are saying. He keeps saying he doesn't need to drink water, coffee substitutes for water. So I won't dare show him your post.

If your husband is taking diuretics it is probably for an issue unrelated to his coffee consumption, although caffeine can cause a short-term increase in blood pressure.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Caffeine actually dehydrates you as it is a diuretic, so you should actually be drinking another 2 cups of water for every 8oz. of black coffee you drink.
    Citation needed on the numbers you list, please. Mayo Clinic, for one, disagrees with this assessment, indicating that coffee and tea's diuretic effect is small enough as to be inconsequential to your hydration needs in almost all cases.

Right, and frankly, if you are drinking enough coffee for the diuretic effect to be noticable, you are consuming enough liquid with it not to matter.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Coffee is life.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I have taken away from this thread is that maybe I should log coffee, which I don't, because it has potassium in it. Since I am always under in potassium, maybe I'm really not.

Otherwise, all the talk that "only water is water" is just crazy and without any scientific evidence. It's all fluid and it all works. . . i drink practically no plain water. . . . I've been at my goal weight for a year, feel great, don't have any signs of dehydration and my life isn't limited by slavery to carrying around an enormous water bottle all day long.