Replies

• faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Run fast
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Be morbidly obese, completely out of shape, do HIIT and trust MFP's numbers. You'll be sure to hit 1,000 and if you don't then just log some housecleaning to go with it.

:laugh: Don't forget to use the gym equipment's numbers.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Not sure it's possible to burn that in an hour

It is. Your weight and the activity/how hard you work out play a large role in this.

At 183 lbs I burnt 885 calories in 55 mins during a 5k race

Wow I only burn about 280 running a 5k. I've read a rough estimate is 100 cal per mile.

I use runkeeper on my iphone and a garmin forerunner and both calorie counts were in the same ball park, at last saturday's 5k Parkrun I burnt 440 calories
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I know its possible, does anyone out there burn 1,000 calories in an hour if so How? I usually burned this by swimming vigourously for an hour but now that I got swimmers shoulder I need to find an alternative.
    Still swim, but do more drills and kickboard. The legs are the largest muscle group in swimming and will burn the most calories.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When I do circuits in the gym (taken from the bodybuilder website), it takes about 65 minutes to complete and it adds up to about 1200 cals burned. I am almost 300lbs though and I always log it as 1000, just in case my calculators over estimate the burn

non-circuit burn is about 700 an hour tho
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My height and weight + and hour of Zumba is almost 1,000 calories! Love it!

ummm, so glad I ordered my Polar FT4...everyone was right MFP Zumba calorie are sooooo off! Both times, one hour sessions, moving my toddy body as fast as it can go....474 calories compared to the 918 MFP said!!! No wonder I haven't been losing, but maintaining. Now I know, and now I lowered my calories back down, and will add more exercise on some days.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I also don't believe there is a need for 1000 calorie burns.

Olympic 10k record is 27 minutes. 10km -> 6.25 miles -> 650 calories for a 150 pound runner -> 1500 calories/hour
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I also don't believe there is a need for 1000 calorie burns.

Olympic 10k record is 27 minutes. 10km -> 6.25 miles -> 650 calories for a 150 pound runner -> 1500 calories/hour

No one who can run a 10K in 27 minutes weighs 150lbs.

Not really the point, I know, but just sayin' :wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Also, running 10k in 27 minutes does not mean you'd be able to keep that speed up for another 33 minutes!

OP have we convinced you that it is REALLY DIFFICULT to burn 1000 calories in an hour, and can you clarify what you're really after?
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My average burn per hour for intense activity is between 500-550 calories. I think I could crack 600 but it's about the absolute limit for me.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Ran 8 miles this morning in just under an hour (59:15 = ~ 7:25 avg pace per mile). My Garmin had my burn at 1,140, MFP has me at 1,100. Runnersworld calculator has me at 1,089 (as per below).

Again nothing magical about burning 1,000+ in a hour, you just need to be right mix of pretty heavy (I'm ~ 180) and pretty fast. I was working hard the entire run, as that is pretty much my half marathon race pace (so this was a long tempo run).

Here's the output from the RW calc:

Nice work! You burned 1,089 calories.. Check out the table below for your calorie burn rates at this pace too.
    Distance: 8 miles
    Duration: 59:15
    Pace: 7:24 / mile
    Calories Burned: 1,089
    Calorie Burn Rates: 136.13 / mile
    1,102.8 / hour
    18.38/ minute
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Best I can do at 160 lbs is burn 700/hr running at about a 9 minute mile.
  • torycw77
    torycw77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just did this tonight! I burned 1,060 calories in about 1 hour. But, I am 5'9" and 243.2 lbs. I am in otherwise excellent condition with a blood pressure of 110/70 usually, normal cholesterol levels, and normal blood sugar. I put on 60 pounds when I went back to University and then discovered that I was going to be a parent (LOL LOL). Before then I was doing 1/2 marathons (in 2010).

I just bought a heart rate monitor which has motivated me to workout harder. I worked out for 59min 24 seconds. I WORKED VERY HARD doing a circuit workout which included ellipticals, nautilus weights for the first 1/2, and very little time between reps when doing the weights at about 3/4 my max and 15 reps, 2 sets each exercise. With the elliptical my rotations per minute were 150-160 usually to get the same intensity as if running (my knees are sort of messed up right now). My heart rate on average, over the hour, was 159.86 BPM according to my HRM and it was usually in the upper 160's and I did not let it fall on purpose.

I burned about 1,060 calories with my current fat arseness. But, the topic of this forum made me want to see how much I would burn at my goal weight, 174 pounds, and an average heart rate of 142 BPM (more efficient heart). I would still burn 810 calories apx, which isn't bad either. If I could workout hard enough by then to get my heart rate up to 159 BPM on average, then it would be close to 1,000 calories again.

Of course, none of this takes into account VO2max, net calories, and all of that other wonkish stuff. But, having a number to shoot for sure does make it fun because I like numbers.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I just burned 2213 net during my half marathon Sunday. That's way more than 100 calories per mile.

Wow, how much do you weigh? In a 10 mile run I only burn 900-1000 and I run a 9:00-10:00 pace.

165lbs, 150lbs LBM. Average HR=164 for 2:19:30

You're way off.

13 miles * 165 lbs * 0.63 -> 1300 calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I burned about 1,060 calories with my current fat arseness.

No, you didn't. HRMs are notorious over-estimaters when it comes to anything interval-y.

Start by cutting that number in half.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I might be making some generalizations but I don't see how your "simple" factors times body weight are any less unsupported than my generalization that your average joe probably isn't burning more than 13 cals per min.

The formula he mentioned comes from empirical studies, it's readily google-able. The full set of equations is...

Gross calorie burn (running): 0.75 * body weight in pounds * miles run
    Net calorie burn (running): 0.63 * body weight in pounds * miles run

Gross calorie burn (walking): 0.53 * body weight in pounds * miles walked
    Net calorie burn (walking): 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked

Those are all going to be approximations for any given individual, of course, but for most people the error is much lower than from using uncalibrated HRMs.

It's that last one that really gets new dieters and exercisers in trouble, as walking for short periods of time burns virtually nothing, despite elevated heart rates, yet folks are getting bombarded with "eat it back" advice that blows away their planned deficits.

As a rule of thumb, if an individual can't run far enough, fast enough to burn 1000 calories running, then the odds are extremely low that they can burn 1000 calories doing any other activity, either. Which gives us a quick and dirty way of estimating calorie burn for other types of exercise - figure out how far you could have run in the same time frame, calculate the calorie burn for that hypothetical run, and use that (or better, a percentage of that) as an upper bound for your burn.

Boy, don't take that formula over to the FitBit Group. They will eat you alive.
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, I used to burn 1000 calories by running for an hour. Now that I'm forty pounds lighter, it's not as much.
  • jennyjcss
    jennyjcss Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Do a vigorous lap swimming..it will burn 1000 calories
  • andreaaaaah
    andreaaaaah Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can burn 1200 in an hour on an arc trainer doing resistance 100 incline 10 :)
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The elliptical. When I do 30 minutes I have burned 500 calories with a gradual increase to level 10 intensity.