How do you burn 1,000 Cals in 1hr of Exercise

Options

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If I run at an 8 minute mile pace for 60 minutes I can get around 1k kcals. I have slowed down on that though because at this rate I am burning muscle at a faster rate then fat which for my goals is kind of pointless.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is possible to do that at certain weights and intensity levels in an hour, but I believe that MFP grossly overshoots on its calorie burn calculations for those who are not using a heart rate monitor.
  • sjacobs425
    sjacobs425 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    elliptical - 25 min 457 calories
    arc trainer by cybex 20 minutes 446 calories
    stair treadmill 20 minutes 365 calories

total calories 1268.

it can be done. and you'll sweat like a pig!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Do a bungee jump off a high bridge. You will lose 1000 cals just looking over the edge and thinking about it :-) Hodgie x

:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Not sure it's possible to burn that in an hour
    Possible. High intensity k-boxing and plyometrics with resistance can do it IF intensity is sustained throughout the 60 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    bike uphill i think?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My 160 lb hubby can do it racing mountain bikes. But he is going all out with his HR in the 190s the whole time. He is an avid bike racer with awesome cardio and lots of muscle mass and is a GUY. The average size girl would be hard pressed to find any activity she could sustain for an hour to burn that many calories.
    Calorie computers lie most of the time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I know its possible, does anyone out there burn 1,000 calories in an hour if so How? I usually burned this by swimming vigourously for an hour but now that I got swimmers shoulder I need to find an alternative.

1. 100 kg body wt.

2. Run 6.0 mph for 60 min continuously

3. Burn 1000+ calories

4. ?????

5. Profit
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    elliptical - 25 min 457 calories
    arc trainer by cybex 20 minutes 446 calories
    stair treadmill 20 minutes 365 calories

total calories 1268.

it can be done. and you'll sweat like a pig!
    I'm doubtful of those cal burns. Not saying they are untrue but 20 min on anything I am doubtful of a burn over 400 cals.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    run consistantly for an hour at at least 6 mph. it can be done!!!!
    6 mph would be 6 miles in an hour = roughly 600 cals burned
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    My height and weight + and hour of Zumba is almost 1,000 calories! Love it!
    I'm really doubtful of this, Zumba is not super high intensity.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    This thread is getting nowhere fast.

To the OP, try to be a little less focused on what is going to burn the most calories, and instead find something you enjoy!

The majority of people are going to have a much happier time (and greater adherence) if they burn 700 cals doing something they like than killing themselves doing something to squeeze out an extra few cals per workout.

Just eat one less poptart (or 300 cals of your choice) to make up for burning a little less. and you are golden! :bigsmile:
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor usually has me at 1100-1400 calories per hour of Zumba.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    That must be some super high intensity Zumba
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It's lying to you.
  • davenporter
    davenporter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think up and down planks switching every 5 seconds for one hour should put you over 1,000. good luck lasting that long.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Doing all of the above while wearing a weighted vest would up the cals a bit maybe?
    (If you don't injure yourself in the process.)

IV200comp.jpg
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    >>>>Outdoor cyclist. I love it. I burn a wicked amount of calories mainly because (1) I bike like a bat out of hell...as a previous poster said (2) I have massive headwind 99% of the time, (3) hills, (4) bike is friggin heavy...think full metal bucket.

I wear a HRM/chest strap.

But I also keep my upper body fit with Tabata-type classes and also strength training.

Seriously if you are looking to burn an insane amount of calories, look for the top 3 (running, swimming, cycling) and stick to something you love doing and do it often! :wink:

(edited to add: Yes, that is a very recent 3,919 cal burn biking 51 city miles and yes it took me an embarrassing long time to get it all in at 4.5 hrs)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Do a bungee jump off a high bridge. You will lose 1000 cals just looking over the edge and thinking about it :-) Hodgie x

:laugh:

Love it! Forget exercise, let's terror'size!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Supposedly kettlebells can burn up to 1200 calories per hour, but I think that's the maximum possible, not the typical amount.