How do you burn 1,000 Cals in 1hr of Exercise

Options

Replies

• HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I used to burn 1,000 cals an hr when I had a ****ty HRM. Now with my Polar I burn about 500-700 cals an hr doing a combo of cardio & weightlifting.
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    That's 16.67 calories per minute. It's possible for a very overweight person, but that's maximum effort for most people, and it would be extremely, extremely hard to sustain that level of exertion for an hour. Bottom line- 95% of people who think they've burned 1,000 calories in an hour are insanely overestimating. I laugh whenever someone thinks 45 min of spinning or an hour of Zumba burned 800 calories (happens everyyy day)- slice that in half and you're still probably overestimating. Most high-effort exercises like running, swimming etc. burn 7-10 calories a minute, which is 420-600 calories per hour. But really, who knows! We have pretty much no way to accurately gauge how many calories we're burning with exercise on a daily basis (no I don't think HRMs are very accurate). But if slapping the "1,000" number on an exercise motivates you to go harder or work out more often, then it's helping you succeed. Just don't eat back all those 1,000 calories or you'll be one of those "doing everything right but not losing" threads.

I burn anywhere from 1000-1200 calories during my cardio sessions... (That could be Treadmill, Elliptical, AMT, Arc Trainer, Swimming laps, etc) Takes me roughly 60-80 minutes but when I hit the 60 minute mark I am normally in the mid 900 calorie burned range... I eat back my exercise calories and have managed to lose over 300 pounds so I am going to have to kindly disagree..... :drinker:

Your ticker shows quite a lot of weight loss. It is possible when you were very large to burn that amount - but for people of normal weight or slightly overweight, it is a tall stretch at most.

Um What???? I am at 248 lbs. now and these are my NORMAL Average burns......... When I was 350. 450, 550, etc i was easily burning quite a bit more, I have people on my friends list that will contest to the fact when I was over 400 pounds I had burns of 1500+ in those same time frames.... There is no tall stretch to burn a 1000 calories at my current weight within 65 minutes period....

But the OP wanted to burn 1000 cals within an hour and she is of slighter build than yourself I believe (though I may be wrong) therefore she'd also burn less calories doing the same exercise in the same time window (unless she was faster lol)

The burn varies from person to person because of build, speed etc.

Personally I'd find it impossible to burn that amount of calories in an hour doing any kind of exercise I am able to just now :)
  • MorroBayChuck
    Options
    I'm not sure that is possible. When I first started Spinning I wasn't yet in top physical shape and I could burn about 600-650 calories in an intense Spin class. Now that I am cardio-fit I only burn about 450 in the same class. So it has a lot to do with your level of fitness. I really don't think it is realistic to expect 1000 cal in an hour.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know its possible, does anyone out there burn 1,000 calories in an hour if so How?

180 lb person running 7.5 miles will do it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com has a 1000 calorie workout but I believei it's 85 min long.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem possible for a person of your size, if your picture is current. Someone much heavier can do it.
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    I ran for an hour yesterday, admittedly not very fast, and burned 495 calories (says Garmin) it was just under 5.5 miles, even 6 miles barely burns more than 500. Don't think I will ever be speedy enough to burn 1000 in that time, even x country skiing. A 10 mile run still doesn't break the 1000 calorie barrier. They are just so much quicker and easier to ingest than to burn up I think :(
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    At my current weight (216) I have burned slightly over 800+ cals doing kickboxing for an hour.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    that's about 16.6 calories per minute...pretty much not going to happen really. People who think they are actually burning that are really just fooling and cheating themselves. Perhaps some very large individuals could pull this off, but really most people do not have the level of fitness to work at the intensity level required for an entire 60 minutes to actually burn 1,000 calories.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I broke 1000 in a single session 1 time. Cycling for 124 minutes at an average speed of 12.2 burned 1163 according to Garmin. Closest I've come in 60 minutes is running, burning 600.

I don't think me personally will ever be able to break 1000 in an hour. It's great that so many can but I cannot.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    This thread is great! People say impossible then proceed to give exceptions. :laugh:

OP, if you are in the 165 neighborhood you have to be pushing your body to exhaustion limits. Biking up hill doing 24 mph will do it.

If you can run at world class marathon pace then you can burn it easy, so 10-12 mph or cover half a marathon in an hour.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Running faster than 7mph for the entire hour might do it.
  • tallmansix
    Options
    As per all the posts above, there are variations and exceptions, but to get the theoretically higher calorie burns you need to be involving as many muscles as possible and certainly your biggest muscles like quads in the exercise to give more opportunity for the calories to burn.

I think rowing gives the best bang for buck in calorie burn, that's when I compare myself to cycling and even running. Upper, mid and lower body are all fully engaged for the majority of the time when rowing.

I weigh 200 lbs (not overwieght, just tall) which probably helps and I can burn close to 1,000 calories an hour RATE on the rower, that's actually just 20 mins / 350 cals = 1050 per hour but I don't think I could do that 20 min row for a whole hour.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You can burn that much doing tae bo or either turbo jam... if you like boxing these are the perfect work out...
    Um no!!! Maybe 500-700 max
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Running is my thing. I just ran 20k burned me just over 2000 calories for two hours.

I'm a tall guy with 215lbs so it helps burn a little more.

Hill sprints are probably the easiest way for me to burn mass calories. I burn a little more when I do that. Nice thing is you get a little break in between every up. My polar4 HRM heats up during those especially if its an icy hill.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Even a 165-pounder can burn 1000 in an hour running - it takes 8 miles, or a 7-minute pace. That is well within the reach of a dedicated amateur.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have only 13 lbs left to lose. Thus, you should be looking at establishing a deficit in the neighborhood of 300 or so calories below maintenance intake. With that said, why do you need to burn 1000 calories?

I would guess it would be so she can eat 1,000 calories back! I know I would if I could.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Even a 165-pounder can burn 1000 in an hour running - it takes 8 miles, or a 7-minute pace. That is well within the reach of a dedicated amateur.

Aha. Ha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh, sorry. Were you being serious?
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Run and run a lot.

I average around 1,000 per hour. And before any self proclaimed expert tries telling me I dont; I hade VO2 max testing done a few months ago. The results of the VO2 max testing confirmed that when my heartrate is working in it's optimum zone I'm burning between 900 and 1,100 calories per hour.

I scored "excellent" on VO2 for my age. If I had 0.1mL/(kg·min) more I would have scored a rating of superior.

I would guess that you weight a lot more than OP. That's super fantastic about your nearly superior VO2 max.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered this as well. There are some people on my FL that seem to burn that much every work out! I'm lucky if I burn over 300 in an hour. However, during zumba my instructor and I both wear a HRM. Each week hers reads over 1,000 calories burned in the one hour session. I barely break 300 and I feel like I have worked my *kitten* off! Her HRM goes around her chest whereas mine goes on my wrist. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I am in awe of those who can burn so much in a one hour session!