How do you burn 1,000 Cals in 1hr of Exercise

Options

Replies

• thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have only 13 lbs left to lose. Thus, you should be looking at establishing a deficit in the neighborhood of 300 or so calories below maintenance intake. With that said, why do you need to burn 1000 calories?

To eat something delicious would be my reason.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You can certainly burn 1000 calories, but whether you can do it in an hour is the question (and the subsequent question, why do you need to burn so much in this magical 60 minute window?)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I burn very near that with my martial arts training. I ain't that light either.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I do the insanity workouts and I burn maybe 700 calories in the hour, definitely no more than that. I burned nearly 1000 when I was about 200lbs but now that I am 174, its not as many.

I can burn 1000 calories in 90 minutes of running but defo not 60.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That's 16.67 calories per minute. It's possible for a very overweight person, but that's maximum effort for most people, and it would be extremely, extremely hard to sustain that level of exertion for an hour. Bottom line- 95% of people who think they've burned 1,000 calories in an hour are insanely overestimating. I laugh whenever someone thinks 45 min of spinning or an hour of Zumba burned 800 calories (happens everyyy day)- slice that in half and you're still probably overestimating. Most high-effort exercises like running, swimming etc. burn 7-10 calories a minute, which is 420-600 calories per hour. But really, who knows! We have pretty much no way to accurately gauge how many calories we're burning with exercise on a daily basis (no I don't think HRMs are very accurate). But if slapping the "1,000" number on an exercise motivates you to go harder or work out more often, then it's helping you succeed. Just don't eat back all those 1,000 calories or you'll be one of those "doing everything right but not losing" threads.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Hill running whilst carrying a friend on your back?
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can burn that much doing tae bo or either turbo jam... if you like boxing these are the perfect work out...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    That's 16.67 calories per minute. It's possible for a very overweight person, but that's maximum effort for most people, and it would be extremely, extremely hard to sustain that level of exertion for an hour. Bottom line- 95% of people who think they've burned 1,000 calories in an hour are insanely overestimating. I laugh whenever someone thinks 45 min of spinning or an hour of Zumba burned 800 calories (happens everyyy day)- slice that in half and you're still probably overestimating. Most high-effort exercises like running, swimming etc. burn 7-10 calories a minute, which is 420-600 calories per hour. But really, who knows! We have pretty much no way to accurately gauge how many calories we're burning with exercise on a daily basis (no I don't think HRMs are very accurate). But if slapping the "1,000" number on an exercise motivates you to go harder or work out more often, then it's helping you succeed. Just don't eat back all those 1,000 calories or you'll be one of those "doing everything right but not losing" threads.

I burn anywhere from 1000-1200 calories during my cardio sessions... (That could be Treadmill, Elliptical, AMT, Arc Trainer, Swimming laps, etc) Takes me roughly 60-80 minutes but when I hit the 60 minute mark I am normally in the mid 900 calorie burned range... I eat back my exercise calories and have managed to lose over 300 pounds so I am going to have to kindly disagree..... :drinker:
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've done on machine readings when I've averaged over 4mph. I weight quite a bit though.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options

I burn anywhere from 1000-1200 calories during my cardio sessions... (That could be Treadmill, Elliptical, AMT, Arc Trainer, Swimming laps, etc) Takes me roughly 60-80 minutes but when I hit the 60 minute mark I am normally in the mid 900 calorie burned range... I eat back my exercise calories and have managed to lose over 300 pounds so I am going to have to kindly disagree..... :drinker:

Your ticker shows quite a lot of weight loss. It is possible when you were very large to burn that amount - but for people of normal weight or slightly overweight, it is a tall stretch at most.
  • JustinJoanknecht
    JustinJoanknecht Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can burn 750-800 in 45mins of squash.........................
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I can burn pretty close to 1000 calories, depending on the Insanity work out..
    Don't forget there is the after burn that occurs after your work out...
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Its pretty easy....2 things

1) Have a lot of lean body mass.
    2) Train H.A.M.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Be morbidly obese, completely out of shape, do HIIT and trust MFP's numbers. You'll be sure to hit 1,000 and if you don't then just log some housecleaning to go with it.
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm around 180lbs and I can burn around 800 calories in an hour running if I really push myself.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Your ticker shows quite a lot of weight loss. It is possible when you were very large to burn that amount - but for people of normal weight or slightly overweight, it is a tall stretch at most.

Um What???? I am at 248 lbs. now and these are my NORMAL Average burns......... When I was 350. 450, 550, etc i was easily burning quite a bit more, I have people on my friends list that will contest to the fact when I was over 400 pounds I had burns of 1500+ in those same time frames.... There is no tall stretch to burn a 1000 calories at my current weight within 65 minutes period....
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I would have to have my HR around 80-90% for that whole hour without any pauses to get it.. its possible but I am just not there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    By being large, out of shape, and working very hard.

That'd be my guess anyway.

This ^^
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I typically burn greater than 700 cals an hour doing things like step class, T25 (doubled up), RIPPED... in other words high intensity aerobic activity. an hour of swimming won't get me more than 400 cals and thats if I'm busting *kitten* in the pool for an hour...
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    By being large, out of shape, and working very hard.

That'd be my guess anyway.

This ^^

I'm larg(ish) - not obese... marathon runner... workout 6-7 days/week... and I still burn nearly 1000 cals/hour so generalizations like this are not helpful