Is honey better than sugar?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one you prefer the taste of.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    They are both high on the GI scale (if you are worried about insulin levels) How about Stevia? It is like 400 x sweeter, and you need a lot less, and no problems with insulin.

I thought Stevia spiked your insulin actually. But yes if you like the taste it's definitely an option. I need to buy some actually...

No it does not that is why it is a recommended sweetener for diabetics. it does not impact insulin levels vs. other sweeteners.

Coconut palm sugar is another natural sweetener that is much lower on the GI scale, and can be used (esp. for baking) it is a 1:1 ratio replacement for sugar in baking recipes. However, I will say it is much lighter on the sweetness scale.
    Still acceptable in baked goods. :happy:

Stevia tastes weird, as do most of the highly processed sugar substitutes ...
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I actually just read an article in this month's Cooking Light magazine (not the most scientific source, but a source none-the-less), on honey, white sugar, brown sugar and raw sugar. It said that there really isn't a difference nutritionally, it's all a matter of taste.

The reason there isn't a nutritional difference is becuase it's all sugar.......

That's pretty much what the article said!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    honey has some good minerals and antibodies in it. If you have allergies they say you can get some local honey to build up your immune system, but I am not sure if that is true of not.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Try some agave nectar, you hardly need any to sweeten oatmeal (not saying its better than honey but another option and comes in different flavors)

to answer your question I'd always go with honey personally

Agave nectar is not necessarily any better of a choice than any other fructose sugar. Yes it is lower on the GI scale than sugar, but it is still a fructose. They are yummy, Agave nectar has about the same calorie count as honey too, 60 calories per tablespoon. There are about 45 calories in a tablespoon of granulated sugar.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes, honey is definitely better for spreading on bread or toast. Sugar has a much lower retention index. It tends to roll off the bread and doesn't spread as evenly.

Also honey leaves a substantial residue on the knife / spoon or whatever you are using so it save calories that way, along with the amounts that are lost between the honey container and the destination food - sticky jar syndrome.

My grandad use to make us toast with sugar on, he'd butter it first then cover it with sugar and the tip of the excess... worked like a charm and I loved it when I was younger
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    honestly who cares, eat whatever one tastes better to you and fit it into your macros
    I would care if there actually was a nutritional difference. But there's not.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    They are both high on the GI scale (if you are worried about insulin levels) How about Stevia? It is like 400 x sweeter, and you need a lot less, and no problems with insulin.

I thought Stevia spiked your insulin actually. But yes if you like the taste it's definitely an option. I need to buy some actually...

No it does not that is why it is a recommended sweetener for diabetics. it does not impact insulin levels vs. other sweeteners.

Coconut palm sugar is another natural sweetener that is much lower on the GI scale, and can be used (esp. for baking) it is a 1:1 ratio replacement for sugar in baking recipes. However, I will say it is much lighter on the sweetness scale.
    Still acceptable in baked goods. :happy:

Stevia tastes weird, as do most of the highly processed sugar substitutes ...

Stevia is not a processed sugar substitute (as in artificial sweetener) it is made from the leaf of the Setvia plant (all natural) it does taste weird if you use too much. Since it is 400 x sweeter than sugar, five drops of liquid Stevia sweetens your coffee just fine, or you oatmeal too. Just like any of "sugar" substitute there is a slight difference in taste form sugar. (That's because it's not sugar")If you get used to Diet Coke, or any other "Diet" drink you will get use to the slight after taste (which mind you I think is a whole lot less drastic than sweet-n-low)
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    The best one is the one you prefer the taste of.

Sara is right the best one is the one that you prefer the taste of unless you are worried about your insulin. (which is honestly more affected by your carbohydrates than your choice of sweeteners on the larger scale of a diet scheme.)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't know and to be honest I don't care. However, I will not give up my honey on my morning porridge. IMO it tastes better than sugar and since my honey comes from a local garden I know it has not been chemically processed within an inch of it's life.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    You can actually get raw forms of stevia that aren't highly processed. Stuff like Truvia and the like are overly processed and contain things other than stevia that may not be the best for you. You can use stevia leaves to sweeten tea, I don't know how well that would go for your oatmeal... may add a little bit of fiber as well, who knows? lol. But If you do stevia I highly suggest Stevia in the raw, it doesn't have all fo the unnatural chemical additives that the other versions do and it isn't as overly processed.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Now i don't know for sure but if it's natural honey then i think it's healthier. I don't really know though, it's all on assumption
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Not significantly. Have you tried adding fruit to sweeten it? Bananas, strawberries, and blueberries can all be delicious add-ons. I like blending two teaspoons of peanut or almond butter into my oatmeal after it's cooked, then adding cinnamon and maybe some nuts and/or dried fruit too.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Better in what context...taste? Cooking/baking?

Calorie wise it's the same. Taste...I think that's a preference.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I say honey is better, solely because it's naturally produced. Plus, if you can find raw honey from your region, eating a little year round will actually help you build up resistances to pollen allergies (if you have them). In the spring and summer you have a higher chance of suffering LESS because you're continually ingesting the pollen in small increments and building up a tolerance :)

This is all not true.

Honey can be ultraprocessed and table sugar comes from sugar cane and sugar beets and other natural substances.

And the allergies thing has been thoroughly debunked.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    Here read this: I understand that this is suppose to be geared towards sugar consumption ( all forms of sugar) in children, however, it is just as helpful for adults. It is good to know what too much sugar can do to your system :happy: Moderation is the key to anything in life. It's the best policy to live by.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/family-nutrition/sugar/harmful-effects-excess-sugar
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer about 1/2 teaspoon of Agave Nectar on my oatmeal. I just need a hint of sweet.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Flavor-wise, I think honey is better ... There are a bunch of different ones, with slightly different flavor profiles and (perceived) levels of sweetness ... blueberry blossom honey, tupelo, orange blossom, raspberry, clover, wildflower, star thistle, clover, etc. ... Think outside of the "little bear" ...

Tupelo is my favorite!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Its obviously preference of taste. Sugar and Honey are close to one and the same. One comes from a sugar cane and the other comes from bees. So choose what you enjoy tasting better and stick with it :). I have yet to like honey at all. The clover taste gets to me and makes my throat itchy. SO I would guess I am allergic lol
    Try buckwheat honey. Dark and delicious. Meadowfoam had to be the nicest although orange blossom is great too...

thanks I will try them!!