Is honey better than sugar?

Options

Replies

• egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Local honey is wonderful for helping with allergies, and a host of other benefits.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I like a little "sugar" every now and then, but I'm all about the "honey on the biscuits."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    < likes honey on boobies....
  • Suzanuh
    Suzanuh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, honey is definitely better for spreading on bread or toast. Sugar has a much lower retention index. It tends to roll off the bread and doesn't spread as evenly.

Also honey leaves a substantial residue on the knife / spoon or whatever you are using so it save calories that way, along with the amounts that are lost between the honey container and the destination food - sticky jar syndrome.

That only helps if you don't lick the spoon. :)
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Local honey is wonderful for helping with allergies, and a host of other benefits.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/does-honey-help-prevent-allergies
    http://www.unitedallergyservices.com/will-honey-relieve-my-seasonal-allergies/
    And from about.com
    "There have been no peer-reviewed scientific studies that have conclusively proven whether honey actually reduces allergies. Almost all evidence regarding the immunizing effects of eating honey is anecdotal."

That's from 5 seconds worth of google. Not the absolute best sources, but the best I could grab. Also, the thread itself has covered this statement. Twice. For the third time.

No, locally grown honey does jack squat for allergies. At best, the trace amount of pollen left in underprocessed honey may trigger an allergic reaction in the extremely sensitive, but even that's rather rare, since it's such a small amount (bees don't want a lot of pollen in their honey). Otherwise, it does nothing. If you think it did something, you are wrong. You experienced a placebo effect.

I give it 1 more page until this sentiment gets repeated.

As to the main question, honey's sugar, so the question is moot. Pick whichever tastes better.
  • egh1974
    Options

And from about.com
    "There have been no peer-reviewed scientific studies that have conclusively proven whether honey actually reduces allergies. Almost all evidence regarding the immunizing effects of eating honey is anecdotal."

That's from 5 seconds worth of google. Not the absolute best sources, but the best I could grab. Also, the thread itself has covered this statement. Twice. For the third time.

No, locally grown honey does jack squat for allergies. At best, the trace amount of pollen left in underprocessed honey may trigger an allergic reaction in the extremely sensitive, but even that's rather rare, since it's such a small amount (bees don't want a lot of pollen in their honey). Otherwise, it does nothing. If you think it did something, you are wrong. You experienced a placebo effect.

As to the main question, honey's sugar, so the question is moot. Pick whichever tastes better.

And I'll bet you get a flu shot every year... Do you happen to know how many "peer reviewed" studies have been disqualified after years of scientific evidence? After years of studying naturopathic medicine, I can promise you that your "google search" won't give you the evidence you need to make an informed decision. But hey - thanks for keeping it positive in here. It's always a joy to be ridiculed by a stranger hiding behind a keyboard. By the way, what doctoral qualifications do YOU have? Please share.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

And from about.com

And I'll bet you get a flu shot every year... Do you happen to know how many "peer reviewed" studies have been disqualified after years of scientific evidence? After years of studying naturopathic medicine, I can promise you that your "google search" won't give you the evidence you need to make an informed decision. But hey - thanks for keeping it positive in here. It's always a joy to be ridiculed by a stranger hiding behind a keyboard. By the way, what doctoral qualifications do YOU have? Please share.
    If you are claiming that it does help with allergies, please provide the evidence or withdraw the claim.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Is coke better than fanta?
  • egh1974
    Options

And from about.com

If you are claiming that it does help with allergies, please provide the evidence or withdraw the claim.

There have been multiple collegiate studies done on the subject and I would strongly urge you to research them before only agreeing with a google search that sites multiple studies produced and PAID FOR by pharmaceutical companies that depend on folks such as yourself to neglect the notion that things growing and naturally producing around us could possibly be better than a drug. Still waiting on those credentials, doc. And don't go saying that I think there's zero need for modern medicine, I don't advocate for shunning what is sometimes necessary, but don't be afraid to buck the system a bit sweetheart. Don't be a sheep!
  • FredDoyle
    Options

And from about.com

There have been multiple collegiate studies done on the subject and I would strongly urge you to research them before only agreeing with a google search that sites multiple studies produced and PAID FOR by pharmaceutical companies that depend on folks such as yourself to neglect the notion that things growing and naturally producing around us could possibly be better than a drug. Still waiting on those credentials, doc. And don't go saying that I think there's zero need for modern medicine, I don't advocate for shunning what is sometimes necessary, but don't be afraid to buck the system a bit sweetheart. Don't be a sheep!
    So no evidence then "sweetheart"? Typical "naturopath" answer.
    I prefer evidence based medicine. The only real kind.
  • egh1974
    Options

And from about.com

Poor Freddy.....
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I just need this in my feed....thanks!
  • FredDoyle
    Options

And from about.com

Poor Freddy.....
    So all you have is ad hominem, condescension and magic. Good stuff.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    About the same. Honey is glucose and fructose as monosaccharides. Table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide of the same sugars. Honey will have some trace elements of minerals and pollen if it is real honey...
    Have which ever you prefer.
    ^----this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

And from about.com

its the evil pharmaceutical companies! Puts on tin foil hat and heads to basement....
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

And from about.com

So how would honey work to stimulate the immune system and provide us with relief from the allergens we usually encounter?

Lets think about this rationally for a minute...

I am allergic to several types of pollen. Lets look at one - ragweed. One of the most common allergens in the USA. Now - have you ever seen ragweed honey? No! Thought not. You know why? Because bees don't visit ragweed. They don't use it to make honey, so there are never going to be significant (other than what blows into the hive on the wind) amounts of ragweed pollen in honey. Ragweed is wind pollinated - it makes a bunch of pollen which blows around on the wind, which is why it gets in my nose and makes me sneeze!

Clover, on the other hand, is pollinated by bumble bees and honey bees. Bees visit the clover, pick up the nectar and some pollen, move on to the next plant for more nectar, and leave the pollen from the first. The pollen isn't blowing around on the wind, and people, in general, do not suffer from clover allergies. It wasn't on the panel of things they tested me for a few years ago, AFAICR.

So even if there were traces of pollen or pollen allergens in honey, they are not going to be the same ones as people tend to actually have allergies to. The plants involved have different pollination strategies.

So, if you are going to claim that honey prevents seasonal allergies in humans, you'll need a mechanism whereby this happens, as well as some references in order to convince me. Or are those things foreign to Naturopathy?
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    I honestly thing honey is better, (taste wise lol) But it may also be a wee bit better than sugar.

That's my guess! :3
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options

And from about.com

You've simultaneously discounted the concept of a peer reviewed study, declared the lack of studies favoring your position a conspiracy by a faction of large business, and then tried to pull an appeal to (your own) authority. In essence, you've established the fact that you wouldn't trust a doctor that disagreed with you (Obviously in the pay of or brainwashed by big pharma), then demand that I provide those same credentials (which you've already stated you wouldn't have cared about). Do you see the problem with your argument? Or does pointing out these glaring flaws in your reasoning count as ridicule again?

In later posts to another person you again demand he read studies that back your position (which you've failed to provide), stated he should "buck the system sometimes" (implicitly admitting that the present weight of evidence does not favor your assertion, otherwise, why buck the system), then repeated your request for credentials, which you have once again established would not have mattered to you anyway, since if he does provide them, he's part of the system you'd want to buck.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

And from about.com

So how would honey work to stimulate the immune system and provide us with relief from the allergens we usually encounter?

Lets think about this rationally for a minute...

I am allergic to several types of pollen. Lets look at one - ragweed. One of the most common allergens in the USA. Now - have you ever seen ragweed honey? No! Thought not. You know why? Because bees don't visit ragweed. They don't use it to make honey, so there are never going to be significant (other than what blows into the hive on the wind) amounts of ragweed pollen in honey. Ragweed is wind pollinated - it makes a bunch of pollen which blows around on the wind, which is why it gets in my nose and makes me sneeze!

Clover, on the other hand, is pollinated by bumble bees and honey bees. Bees visit the clover, pick up the nectar and some pollen, move on to the next plant for more nectar, and leave the pollen from the first. The pollen isn't blowing around on the wind, and people, in general, do not suffer from clover allergies. It wasn't on the panel of things they tested me for a few years ago, AFAICR.

So even if there were traces of pollen or pollen allergens in honey, they are not going to be the same ones as people tend to actually have allergies to. The plants involved have different pollination strategies.

So, if you are going to claim that honey prevents seasonal allergies in humans, you'll need a mechanism whereby this happens, as well as some references in order to convince me. Or are those things foreign to Naturopathy?

It has nothing to do with the type of pollen in the honey. What helps allergies is the vitamin, mineral and enzyme content of the honey especially the B vitamin content. Most honey has added corn syrup and is pasteurized and/or heated in some other way so it's not going to help. Raw Manuka honey is one of the more nutrient dense types.

Also something isn't debunked just because there is little to no official evidence, it just means no one has done the proper studies.
  • FredDoyle
    Options

It has nothing to do with the type of pollen in the honey. What helps allergies is the vitamin, mineral and enzyme content of the honey especially the B vitamin content. Most honey has added corn syrup and is pasteurized and/or heated in some other way so it's not going to help. Raw Manuka honey is one of the more nutrient dense types.

Also something isn't debunked just because there is little to no official evidence, it just means no one has done the proper studies.

We'll still need to see some studies. Believe me nothing would make me happier than this to be true,
    I've suffered for years with pollen allergies. I also have worked at an apiary and ferment many different types of raw unpasteurised honey frequently to make mead. I've used Linden, wildflower, orange blossom, clover, buckwheat and many other raw honeys. I partake in them frequently. N=1, I've never seen any respite from seasonal allergies even though I eat more raw honey than probably most on this forum and probably more than our naturopath.