Is anyone here not a bigot?

Options
I've seen a great deal of sexism, racism and homophobia on this website. Things like insulting other people by calling them gay, insinuating that attractive women at the gym must "be there for attention" and bashing anyone who doesn't speak English as a first language.

I believe that the MFP community is really only "supportive" of a certain demographic, but I hope I'm wrong. That's why I'm making this post. I believe even those who are against racism and feminist also deserve a space on what is, after all, a public website. But if I'm alone in believing that, then I'll stick to the more useful journaling portion.

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Do you have any examples?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

I believe he is referring to this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1123467-want-a-sensible-weight-loss-program
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've seen a great deal of sexism, racism and homophobia on this website. Things like insulting other people by calling them gay, insinuating that attractive women at the gym must "be there for attention" and bashing anyone who doesn't speak English as a first language.

I believe that the MFP community is really only "supportive" of a certain demographic, but I hope I'm wrong. That's why I'm making this post. I believe even those who are against racism and feminist also deserve a space on what is, after all, a public website. But if I'm alone in believing that, then I'll stick to the more useful journaling portion.

Down, troll! Down! :laugh:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It's the internet, that's about all I can say. Ignore the haters, you'll find some really nice people here after a while.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

OK I have seen a little arguing, some bullying, some silly stuff...but no deliberate sexism, racism or homophobia....can you post links to these threads?

If you come across something that you think is in bad taste you can always report it?
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have not seen this here.
    My experience has been supportive for the most part. I had issues with unsolicited advice about 5 months into my experience here and chose to keep my journal private ever since.
    I expect you can find anything here if you look for it. My suggestion is to avoid topics that offend you.
    I have mostly positive experience on this site and my life has changed in a positive way because of it. I am grateful!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Daaaaaang!

<--- not a bigot. And if you see it, report it. Simple.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    0_0
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It's the internet
    This ^
  • SideSteel
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1123467-want-a-sensible-weight-loss-program

Oh my. OP used the phrase "classic white person tactic" in an accusatory manner and is now making this post calling out others for bigotry? Well slap my *kitten* and call me Charlie.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    By your standards I think everyone has some sort of a problem, no?

I've seen your posts and, with all due respect, you seem to be taking things way to literally and over reacting a bit. Especially here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1123297-how-to-cope-when-others-aren-t-on-a-weight-loss-journey?page=4
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat brown short Asian. Have I seen sexism, racism etc on this site? Of course. Just like any other part of life. But its not to the point where I would go "well... I'm outta here!". I think I've seen maybe 3 incidents since I started 1.5 years ago?

In fact, even though I am straight, me and my male friends make gay comments towards each other. If the site was gay bashing in any way, we wouldn't feel comfortable with that. And we say some of the nastiest things to each other.

The site itself is very open minded. I mean... even after reading my threads girls add me as friends...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Many people here are not bigots.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    You have jerks, bigots and idiots everywhere. Do you really think the internet would be any different and people would all stand around in a drum circle and tell each what special snowflakes they are?

You don't have to like it, but welcome to the internet. You gotta take the bad with the good.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    <---This girl is NOT sexist or racist.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Oh my. OP used the phrase "classic white person tactic" in an accusatory manner and is now making this post calling out others for bigotry? Well slap my *kitten* and call me Charlie.

What kind of a whitey are you to not stick with the OP's whitneess? Thats it! Thats the last straw! I'm calling KKK and canceling your membership!
  • SideSteel
    Options

What kind of a whitey are you to not stick with the OP's whitneess? Thats it! Thats the last straw! I'm calling KKK and canceling your membership!

LMFAO
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It is the internet not the site, people get all bad a** behind a keyboard. If you find something inappropriate report it, I have been here 3 years (under a different name this one is new) anyway, I have never seen the problems you are referring to, maybe some snarky often mean comments but never sexist, racist or homophobic.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have never seen anything like you are describing on any kind of regular basis...and I'm on the forums all of the time...perhaps you're just having a bad day...

sensitive-man.jpg

You can't be too sensitive when playing on the internetz...
This discussion has been closed.