Do you agree dieting is bad for health ?

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    diet is just the way you eat.

everyone is on a diet.

Some structured, some haphazard.

Some thought out through research, some followed by ignorance.

Some with good results, some with bad results.

Some with immediate and delayed positive benefits, some with immediate and long term negative effects.

This is precisely what I was going to say.

You have used the term 'diet' far too loosely for anyone to adequately answer you.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Dieting is crap.

Being fat, unfit and disease ridden is crap.

Sometimes in life you have to choose what kind of crap you prefer.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it correctly none of that should be happening. There are countless people who have lost tons of weight without losing muscle or destroying their metabolism. Do some research. If all of those things are happening to you you're doing something wrong. Good Luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    does not agree...

so you are saying that someone who is obese should not diet (calorie restrict) because they will lose muscle mass????

You do realize you can counter this with heavy lifting and higher protein intake, right?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Depends on the diet.

Fad diets are obviously bad, But things like Keto and Paleo have great long term effects and prevent you from losing mass of muscles if you do your macros properly

LOL at paleo being "good"...any diet that eliminates whole food group is not good and is moronic in my opinion...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I hate dieting from the bottom of my heart.I believe in eating proper nutritious food and exercising at regular intervals is the way to healthy living and not starving yourself.

By dieting you not only loose weight but you loose muscle mass too and leads to body going through starvation mode resulting in body being denied of essential nutrients which would lead to reduced brain functioning and premature ageing .

oh and I am calling BS on starvation mode....if you calorie restrict to a 500 calorie deficit and you are eating 1500 cals a day, then you are not in starvation mode.

OP - please do some research on these things before making blanket idiotic posts that others may think are actually accurate...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot of things; arbitrary food group restrictions, how steep the deficit is, how long the diet is undertaken for.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

everyone is on a diet.

Some with immediate and delayed positive benefits, some with immediate and long term negative effects.

570.gif

THANK YOU
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    DYE IT
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be trying to "loose" anything in my opinion
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    So...

how did you lose 121 pounds?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options
    I hate dieting from the bottom of my heart.I believe in eating proper nutritious food and exercising at regular intervals is the way to healthy living and not starving yourself.

By dieting you not only loose weight but you loose muscle mass too and leads to body going through starvation mode resulting in body being denied of essential nutrients which would lead to reduced brain functioning and premature ageing .

Dv5e5.gif
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    So...

how did you lose 121 pounds?

^^This! I want to know OP's non-diet secrets!
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    Options
    IN for George Costanza Gifs!!!!

giphy.gif
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options

giphy.gif

costanza-stoked-o.gif
  • Target126
    Target126 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definition of the word diet:

1) the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats

2) a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.

So no, dieting as a broad term is not bad for health. If you heavily restrict your calorie intake (under 1000) for a long time and then yes this is very likely to be bad for your health.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    Options

giphy.gif

costanza-stoked-o.gif

yHBmJ.gif
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    ummmm I think dieting is a bad stigma and people need to focus on eating healthy
  • Tropicalfirestorm
    Tropicalfirestorm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Um. "eating a nutritious amount of food." Is still a DIET. Diet just means what you eat. In society we refer to a diet as when someone changes their regular eating habits in order to change the body- GAIN (for body builders or people with a feeder fetish) or LOSE weight.

You can change your diet in many ways- become vegetarian but eating as much food as you want, for example. OR eating only non starchy vegetables but enough to feed a whole family.

Starvation mode is real- there is some offensive and inaccurate avatar claiming it is not- but it's not something that should happen if a person takes proper care of their diet and does research first.

If you are talking about eating less or taking in less calories than your body burns off- then no, as a fat woman, I don't think what I am doing is unhealthy. Too much of a fat body % can lead to a myriad of health problems.

Is this a troll account then?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

everyone is on a diet.

570.gif

THANK YOU

That's it. It's a shame the word "diet" has been so mutilated