can you lose weight when pregnant?

Options

Replies

• rosemary98
    Options
    I would recommend talking to your OBGYN about weight loss during pregnancy. he/she can advise you and perhaps watch you more closely if they give you the go ahead to lose weight.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't starve your child after it's born, so why try before?

You need to do your homework before judging an expecting mother who is trying to take care of her and her baby's health. EVEN if she wasn't eating enough, (which she is) the baby wouldn't starve. The baby would be given nutrients from the mother's body. While unhealthy for the mother, the baby would be properly nourished.
    To the OP, good for you trying to be healthy. Your baby's health starts at conception!

Wrong. First of all, whether she's eating enough at the moment is questionable. She should be eating at her TDEE in the first tri and unless she's already tiny to begin with (according to her ticker she's not), I doubt that's 1600 cals. Second, who are you to tell everyone that the baby would be fine even if the mother doesn't eat enough? Are you a pregnancy dietician? I didn't think so. Low intake in pregnant mothers can cause plenty of issues in newborns so take your nonsense elsewhere.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Gaining a lot of weight can be very damaging to the baby and/or the mother.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Gaining a lot of weight can be very damaging to the baby and/or the mother.
    yes VampireQueen1959, but the OP wasn't asking about gaining.

She stated "i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol" and inquires about losing weight during pregnancy.

I don't think we're equipped to give her professional medical advice on this forum.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    one realises what an American dominated site this is when most people refer the OP to either a "doctor" or an "obgyn"...have you guys never heard "midwives rule"!!!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I got fat with my first child and with my second I decided now way was that happening again. I was under the supervision of my gyno and he laughed when I said I wanted to lose a bit and not gain anything but I showed him!!! He was blown away with how well I did. I just walked every day and ate very healthy. Don't eat like a sparrow, you have to feed you and the baby. Just eat really well but really healthy. It's not hard.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    just found out im expecting baby number 5 :D
    so happy.. but i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol

has anyone lost weight and weighed less when they had their baby than they did when they got pregnant?

You are the one why said you don't want gain any weight while pregnant and even used all caps for emphasis. So, please don't act like you posted some very reasonable question about avoiding EXCESSIVE weight gain while pregnant. You didn't. You asked about continuing to lose weight from your current scale reading while growing another human being inside of you.

Now, if that is what you really meant to ask, I would encourage you to reread posts before submitting them to make sure they actually say what you really meant.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    but i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol

has anyone lost weight and weighed less when they had their baby than they did when they got pregnant?
    Per www.MedMD.com
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

"Is It Safe to Lose Weight When Pregnant?
    She should only lose weight under her doctor's care. But in most cases, women should not try to lose weight or diet during pregnancy.
    Where Does the Extra Weight Go During Pregnancy?
    Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    Total: 25-35 pounds "

25 to 35 pounds goes toward baby, placenta, breast tissue, additional blood supply etc.
    so OP, what does your medical professional say about not gaining any weight, losing weight while pregnant ?
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    one realises what an American dominated site this is when most people refer the OP to either a "doctor" or an "obgyn"...have you guys never heard "midwives rule"!!!!!

Yes, they do. I had a midwife for my first child and she was awesome. Go midwives. :0)
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    A woman I know walked for an hour every day on her treadmill at whatever pace she felt like. She said once she had her baby that the weight just fell off from all the walking. I do think she was a SAHM so that might have helped her. In my case when I was pregnant with DS2 I worked full time & was so stinkin' motion sick for 8.5 months that I wanted no part of walking for an hour.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and make sure you are eating enough for both you and the baby, that is your first priority. I think if you are overweight, you could probably lose some fat while you're pregnant. I didn't try to lose, but with my second pregnancy I only gained 16 pounds and after giving birth was about 10 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Please see a dietitian! Do not mess around with non-professional suggestions when you have a new life growing. Other professional such as your MD or midwife (personally I have a primary DO that I love!)
  • cummingscb
    Options
    I have had three babies. The first one was my biggest - he was 9 lbs, 11oz. I started my pregnancy with him weighing 197 lbs. I gained 29 lbs with him. The second baby - I was about the same weight - around 200 lbs - when I became pregnant with him. I was diagnosed gestational diabetic at about 24 weeks. I followed that diet to a T - and only ended up gaining 3 lbs with him (and he weighed 9 lbs even). Of course I was being closely monitored by a dietician and my ob/gyn, and was overweight enough to begin with that they both agreed that I didn't need to TRY to gain weight, if I was satisfied with my nutrition by following the gestational diabetic diet. With my third baby, I was STILL around 200 lbs, when I got pregnant. I followed the gestational diabetic diet from the beginning, even though I wasn't officially diagnosed with it the second time, and I went in to deliver at 40 weeks weighing exactly the same as day 1 of that pregnancy, and our daughter was 7 lbs, 10 oz.

I think not gaining (much) weight can be avoided if you are enough overweight that adding more weight would be of a higher risk of further prenatal complications, but it can't be done without a doctor and nutritionist/dietician on board to closely monitor.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my 1st son, I weighed 231 at conception and 238 at delivery.

2 weeks after giving birth I weighed 219 (he was 8lbs 9oz at birth)
    I'd actually gotten down to 215 before I started gaining weight again while breastfeeding

With my 3rd baby, I was 286 at conception, 295 at delivery and 278 2 weeks after giving birth.
    I gained weight while breastfeeding and have yo-yo'd up and down since then
  • nicolekathleen90
    Options
    I'm a little saddened by the negative responses on here. I'm 17 1/2 weeks pregnant myself and haven't gained a single pound, but that's because I'm being more healthy now than I was before I got pregnant. I'm still eating about 2000 calories/day and exercising 3 days/week lightly. Of course, I'm overweight and was told not to gain more than 10-15lbs during the entire pregnancy anyway. I'd just love to see a little less judgement and a little more support for someone asking an honest question.
  • AbbieJLee
    AbbieJLee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a baby, but my friend is a dietician, and she says that the only supplement you really need when pregnant is an 8 oz glass of milk each day. She only gained 4 pounds during her pregnancy and lost it all within two weeks of having her baby.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I'm a little saddened by the negative responses on here. I'm 17 1/2 weeks pregnant myself and haven't gained a single pound, but that's because I'm being more healthy now than I was before I got pregnant. I'm still eating about 2000 calories/day and exercising 3 days/week lightly. Of course, I'm overweight and was told not to gain more than 10-15lbs during the entire pregnancy anyway. I'd just love to see a little less judgement and a little more support for someone asking an honest question.

Strong first post.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says your 110 lbs overweight? Correct? I would think you will probably lose a little as you change to a healthier meal plan. I would def follow dr or nutrition advise as to what your calorie goals would be. And yea, I had an obese gf who lost 60lbs while pregnant. (She was over 100lbs overweight) She had a high-risk pregnancy BECAUSE of her obesity and I wished I could say she had a healthy baby, but her and her baby both were touch and go at birth BECAUSE of her obesity. I CAN say, however, that they BOTH turned out healthy as the baby grew into toddler and she ended up losing her weight and getting into a healthy weight range. :flowerforyou:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    GO TALK TO YOUR DR / MIDWIFE / OBGYN

This!

And most likely you will be encouraged to keep an eye on weight gain and to try to keep it to a minimum. And they will tell you that no, you shouldn't make an effort to lose weight while pregnant.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Pst...

She most likely had the baby...