How do you deal with the sudden 'always cold'

50LBS ago I would go out in the dead of winter or 4ft of snow with a light sweater and be fine.
Everyone called me a polar bear and was amazed how intolerant to cold I was.

Now I am FREEZING all the time!
My hands go numb a lot and it's not much fun.
And it's only fall, the winter is going to kill me.

It was like an overnight thing.

Anyone else battling this problem? Haha

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Hibernation? :wink:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Yep, it has to do with eating in a deficit. Once you go back into maintenance, it'll go away, even 50lbs. lighter. Eating a little more can help with the cold, but usually, I just bundle up and keep moving to stay warm.

Edit: I also want to add that I used to be one of those people that was hot all the time! xD Now I'm that other person who's cold all the time.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Yep, it has to do with eating in a deficit. Once you go back into maintenance, it'll go away, even 50lbs. lighter. Eating a little more can help with the cold, but usually, I just bundle up and keep moving to stay warm.

Edit: I also want to add that I used to be one of those people that was hot all the time! xD Now I'm that other person who's cold all the time.

Interesting! I hope so! It better go away, haha
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Oh that's easy...learn to knit!! I'm swathed in lovely knits from late September until mid spring!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    It is kind of a common problem for people that lose weight.
    It has not gone away for me. I just put on more clothes. My hands are always cold now. Not as much fat to keep me warm I guess.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    LOL!! Love the knitting idea! They might not think too kindly of that while I'm at work though... :)

Oh yeah, losing the insulation makes a big difference! I've mostly noticed it like this time of year when the temperatures first start to drop - I have a hard time acclimating but once I'm used to it, it's not too bad. I've also noticed that if I get up and move around a bit it helps a lot just to get the blood flowing. And keeping some hot tea handing doesn't hurt either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    Stay indoors or wear warm clothes? People with less fat are more susceptible to cold.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member

I wish! I'm always cold. My feet and hands just can't seem to stay warm. On the subway this morning I couldn't feel my feet and its only 40ish degrees today. I'm eating at maintenance now for a couple weeks and it is not changing a thing!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I was cold before I started(hypothyroid). Losing only made it worse. Lots of layers and keep moving. I think people think I am crazy because I tend to bounce and shuffle when standing on line or standing around watching one of my kids play sports. I would freeze if I just sat there.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Stay indoors or wear warm clothes? People with less fat are more susceptible to cold.

IDEA Fitness member

Im super active outdoors though. I hike all year round.
    Last year I hiked in all the major snowstorms.
    Im afraid Im going to hide under the covers all season now LOL
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    I never go anywhere without a sweatshirt, even in summer. Numb fingers and cold toes are just something I have gotten used to. I did find a slight improvement when I started taking an iron supplement.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,670 Member
    layers, tall socks, and fingerless gloves
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    I went to the local thrift store and bought a bunch of nice sweaters there. They work! :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Im super active outdoors though. I hike all year round.
    Last year I hiked in all the major snowstorms.
    Im afraid Im going to hide under the covers all season now LOL

Dress in layers and keep moving. I am ok as long as I keep moving.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member

I hope this is true. Last winter I was perpetually freezing for the first time since I can remember. I hope the extra food keeps me warmer this winter
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    it was a mild 62 degrees today and i was freezing and needed my jacket. that is new to me but i love it. i think about it as if i have less body fat now to keep me warm! LOL :smile:
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    I'm getting a little colder at night now and need another blanket on the bed and/or pajamas. Guess all that blubber I used to carry around was providing insulation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    while it's true that you have less insulation with less fat, being always cold is often a side effect of iron deficiency. Have you had your iron checked lately? Iron deficiency is common in many dieters, particularly those that fear red meat as well as vegetarians.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    I would get checked by your doctor too. yes you have less insulation, but cold intolerance can also be a sign of thyroid issues. I would get that checked just to be safe.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    lots of layers. I'm cold most of the time.

Plus side? I found summer a lot easier to deal with this year. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: