How do you deal with the sudden 'always cold'

Replies

• sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    It's not a problem I have, but Chinese medicine theory would say that you should eat "warming" foods, like ginger, onions and garlic. I do actually find that a gingery spicy soup really does warm me up for a long time.

Alternatively...move to Florida?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member

Alternatively...move to Florida?

I moved to Colorado from Florida about 6 months ago. I was always cold there too :grumble:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    50LBS ago I would go out in the dead of winter or 4ft of snow with a light sweater and be fine.
    Everyone called me a polar bear and was amazed how intolerant to cold I was.

Now I am FREEZING all the time!
    My hands go numb a lot and it's not much fun.
    And it's only fall, the winter is going to kill me.

It was like an overnight thing.

Anyone else battling this problem? Haha

Yes, that's me, cold all the time. I wear turtleneck sweaters under my sweaters. I also wear sweatpants and socks at home (I used to wear jeans and go barefoot on my carpeting). Sweatpants are warmer than jeans. Fleece anything is good, too.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I am always, always, always cold. I was before I lost weight and it's worse now. I just layer my clothes, take a lot of bubble baths at home, and drink SO MUCH coffee at work. Warm drinks do help, and fortunately I like black coffee and tea. I have always had low blood pressure and iron levels which I can't control very well, so I've just learned to live with it. I tell myself shivering burns calories, haha.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    base layers! they saved me in Iceland. Dreading winter this year. I'm already cold.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Yep, it has to do with eating in a deficit. Once you go back into maintenance, it'll go away, even 50lbs. lighter.

Not necessarily. I'm cold no matter how much I eat! I guess it's the downside of having low body fat.
  • I'm always freezing also. I sleep with a heating pad on my feet, heated seats in my car and dress in many layers. When I'm home I keep moving! Works wonders! Ha ????
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    I find I am cold a lot more now as well after losing 50 pounds and getting to my goal weight. I have been in maintenance for just about a year. I wore a sweater inside this summer because of the office air conditioning. Not afraid of red meat, but I will look into the iron thing at my next check-up.
    As others have said be sure you layer. Losing the built-in layer is a trade-off I would make any day.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    i was always cold, I will be always cold and being cold will never change...

however since losing the weight i'm frickin COLDER.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Totally dealing with this problem myself right now. Damn near intolerable to go for a run outside with how cold it is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I've always been cold. My weight doesn't affect my body heat.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Such a good question! The same thing happens to me, and i've been maintaining for awhile now. I shouldn't say I get numb, but I'm ALWAYS chilly and need an extra sweater.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Put on more muscle and wear loose thermoclothes.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    I have been wearing a ridiculous number of layers, bought some sweaters at Goodwill, and it's been motivating me to do harder workouts that really get me heated because I will stay a bit warmer after that for several hours.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    I too find myself more cold as the weight comes off, but also have a history of low iron. And even taking iron pills could not have consistently "normal" iron levels. Hmmmmm
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    I'm always cold in winter too..... hate it. Just a slight chill and my fingers are numb. Lots of layers don't always help - it's like the cold is on the inside, lol.

I have found that keeping moving really helps. When I have to sit and study it is awful. I love my electric blanket for bedtime!

On the plus side, I'm far better off than the overweight people who really struggle with the 45+ degree heat here in summer! And summer's certainly making an appearance here in Oz.... wooohooooooo
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    I'm embarrassed to admit it to her, but I used to ridicule my mother after a few years ago she lost about 50lbs and since then she goes looking for a sweater at anything under 80 degrees.

Over the last 8 months I've lost 45 lbs and am down to around 10-12% BF, and well...Damn...now I'm cold all the time too. Right now I'm sitting at my desk with a space heater at my feet, pants and a sweatshirt on. And I'm not hot one bit.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    I think an under active thyroid is the obvious issue here.
  • EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    I was always cold at 225; I'm dreading this winter at 145ish. Things that help are layers: silk long johns under clothes, t shirts under dress shirts and sweaters, gloves under mittens, etc. Wearing my long hair down in the winter helps keep my neck warm, too. I keep my house insanely cool because my boiler is so old and innefficient. I am not exaggerating when I say that at home in the winter, my husband is comfortable in long pants and a sweatshirt, while I am wearing layers and then on top a forever lazy, a snuggie, and then a blanket (sometimes gloves). The doctor says he can't find anything wrong, I just apparently get really cold.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Yep, it has to do with eating in a deficit. Once you go back into maintenance, it'll go away, even 50lbs. lighter. Eating a little more can help with the cold, but usually, I just bundle up and keep moving to stay warm.

Edit: I also want to add that I used to be one of those people that was hot all the time! xD Now I'm that other person who's cold all the time.

I'm not so sure. It's only one data point, but I'm currently eating at a surplus and I'm way more susceptible to the cold than I was one year and 60 pounds ago.