The holidays are going to be hard

Options
How many can say they used to overindulge this time of year? I'm not saying all of it is going to be moderation and weight consciousness, but for the most part I would like to be at my ideal weight sooner rather than later. Any tips or tricks on how to crack the whip on yourself?

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    smaller plat size if that makes sence. and an early morning exercise
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    More protein...less carbs. I fill up on turkey and ham...skip the gravy, stuffing, and desserts.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    How many can say they used to overindulge this time of year? I'm not saying all of it is going to be moderation and weight consciousness, but for the most part I would like to be at my ideal weight sooner rather than later. Any tips or tricks on how to crack the whip on yourself?
    Enjoy everything in moderation. Looking at it from a weekly perspective, instead of a daily one makes it easier to fit in some indulgent days. :drinker:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    The holidays are 3-4 days not months! Eat what you want ON the holidays not the days in between.
  • moineau_
    moineau_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm really worried about Thanksgiving this year (not so much Christmas though, surprisingly...besides my every once in awhile white chocolate mocha cravings). I'll be having two different Thanksgiving meals, one with my boyfriends family and another with my own family.
    Every year I look forward to indulging in my mom's delicious Thanksgiving meal and I don't feel like this year will be any different.

I'm going to just enjoy my one day of overindulging and continue to work hard before and after Thanksgiving.

Sometimes it's okay to have a major cheat day, enjoy yourself!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    The holidays are 3-4 days not months! Eat what you want ON the holidays not the days in between.

A lot of people are left with tons of left overs after their family dinners.
    It can be tough on them.

What I've started doing with the left overs, I freeze them into separate bags. Some people mind the freezerburn taste..But me? I don't mind it. Another alternative, feed it to your pets. No use letting food go to waste... But what's worse, is EATING all of that food that goes to waste. Perhaps you could have your family take portions of it with them, so you're not left with left-overs yourself. There's an idea :)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Why would you not indulge? There's a difference between eating a whole sheet of cookies and enjoying yourself.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna be pickier, basically.

No Lil Smokies (I stopped eating meat), no cheese dip, no creamy dip I didn't make myself.

I will drink water, unsweetened tea, or wine in moderation. Steer clear of eggnog, cocoa, cider, and peppermint-tinis and other holiday drinks.

For me...still gonna have plenty of fudge and candy. That stuff's worth it to me. I'll stick to veggie & fruit trays and then enjoy the baked goods (limiting myself to 1 cookie or pie slice) and candy.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The main reason I struggle around the holidays is because at holiday get-togethers there aren't any healthy foods for me to eat, so I instead go for the fatty, high calorie foods. I highly suggest you bring a plate along to pass at any holiday parties you go to- something healthy and delicious that will fill you up, so you're less apt to go for all the other bad foods. :happy: For example, last Thanksgiving, I brought along a plain vegetable blend, (since the only vegetable at the Thanksgiving party is usually green bean casserole which is full of unwanted fat and calories) a toss salad, and a fruit salad for dessert.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to indulge, but I will be going to the gym, even while I'm on vacation, and I will take a nice long walk after a big meal, or do some sort of exercise, to help balance it out. You can also try to drink a big glass of water beforehand to help you get fuller faster. And chew slowly; don't scarf it down. Enjoy every bite!
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This year for Thanksgiving (I'm Canadian and ours has already passed) I let myself eat up to maintenance on meal days. Or even a little over. I got to eat all the foods I love and only get around the holidays. To me it's worth it. In the grand scheme of things it's only a day or two. I say relax and indulge. You can make up for it over the next few days or add an extra workout or something.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Breakfast with lots of protein. PACK pleanty of protein rich veggie SNACKs! Most relatives don't have healthy food options. Stay away from sugar.
    Sugar is so bad for us. Sugar is the hardest thing to deal with for me before Halloween. I am doing much better this year. I am thinking of not buying Halloween candy this year. But I don't want to risk the tricks if we don't give out treats. I think I am going to buy myself one bar of really good Swiss Dark chocolate to have on Halloween instead of the bags of 'fun size' that I used to eat when I was 317lbs.

One thing is for certain. We are all in this together. :flowerforyou:
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Until this year, I used to view the holidays as the time of the year where healthy lifestyle habits go to die and that Thanksgiving and Christmas were the inevitable death knell for a nutritious diet and exercise. So, I stopped giving a rat's *kitten* about eating healthfully and watching my weight. This year is going to be different for me, because I've been successfully maintaining since June and I more or less plan to adhere to the diet and exercise regimen that has brought me this far. Since both holidays fall on my workout days, I'll eat light early in the day and give myself 1,500-2,000 calories to play with at dinner. That way, I'll be able to control my portions, but still be able to enjoy dinner and a bit of dessert. If I DO end up going over, I don't really care.

The reality is this, eating over maintenance on two days that are over a month apart is going to have little impact on your weight loss/maintenance goals in the long term. What CAN negatively impact your goals is to get lax with your exercise and eating habits. Go out to dinner, enjoy yourself and get back on track the next day, just like the rest of the year.
  • micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For the big meals, if you're cooking, make healthy sides that you won't feel guilty about, along with the traditional things everyone expects. If you're going somewhere to eat, bring a healthy dish to pass, that way you know there will be something you don't feel bad about. Keep going with the workouts and cal counting. If you must have a "cheat day", sandwich it with good days. I'm worried about holidays too, I just started back at MFP last sunday, gonna try to plow through the holidays, right into January. Not going to do a cookie exchange this year (I always have to try one or two of each kind) but I may do a gathering of friends prior to Christmas with maybe wine and snacks and maybe a massage party!! :)
  • kjauthier
    kjauthier Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sound advice!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Another tactic (because several people have offered excellent suggestions) is to decide ahead of time what you want to indulge in and what you can set aside for this year. Really gotta have that pumpkin pie? Maybe skip the potatoes. Love the homemade stuffing? Maybe don't eat the green beans or the rolls/biscuits.

Sometimes we tend to eat out of obligation and we'll eat what is put on our plate. Make food priorities and skip over those things that you can live without. You can enjoy yourself without eating recklessly.

All best!
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    i agree with spain girl--that is my plan of attack anyhow. i will eat the foods i really love and skip the ones i don't ..like i always put a little bit of everything..but only a handful of them are my actual favorites.

my mom makes homemade noodles that are my absolute favorite. honestly i might just eat 1500 calories worth of them and then a slice of pie. that will not blow my diet and i will be happy. also STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN. make your plate, eat and move away from the food!!!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing on all these weeks between the holidays, watching portion control etc, trying to lose as much as I can so I don't have to be as strict during the holidays.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm diligent throughout the season, I'm not going to worry too much about the actual holiday festivities. Probably one difference is that I probably won't drink as much as I used to. My body just ain't down with a lot of alcohol these days, which is just as well.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I learned to make my own turkey and dressing using whole wheat bread and lean turkey :)