clothes that motivate you

Options
2»

Replies

• MickeyCastello
    Options
    I think it's a pretty good idea actually. I bought a size 30 X 30 pair of pants when I was down to a 32 X 30, because I knew I was gonna get there. And, with this as motivation, get there I did. Also, as I lost my weight, I got rid of all of my larger clothes. I felt like having them around would psychologically make it okay to gain weight again. The fact that I would have to buy larger clothes again motivates me in maintenance.
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    ive lost my motivation atm. ive just bought a designer dress this weekend to wear at the end of november in 2 sizes smaller to what im measuring at present .. ill try it on tomorrow and see if it kicks me into gear :wink:
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    I use clothes as motivation, but a bit differently.

After I reached my goal weight, I bought a super-expensive pair of jeans and a leather jacket. Now I'm motivated to make sure they always fit!

So reward and maintain vs something to look fwd to or punish yourself with...

Now that's a great idea!
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get back into my smaller jeans, and be able to wear my tight tops and body con dresses again :)
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. I have a dress in my closet that I ordered online last year. It was too tight, which made me sad because I liked it a lot. I kept it anyway with the idea in the back of my mind that I might lose weight at some point. Now I'm glad that I did. It'll feel like such a mini-achievement when it fits well and eventually becomes loose!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say "to each their own".

An aquaintance of mine who is around size 18/20 bought a PVC bustier in a size M and size 10 fitted skirt to motivate herself. It was one of the years that she decided to make a New Year's Resolution to lose the weight for good, got a personal trainer, went on Atkins, etc. She never came close to getting into that stuff and I don't know what in the world she even did with it. So not a great idea IMO.

When I first started to lose weight, being a big thrift store shopper I would grab stuff in a size 18 or 20 even though I was still in a 22. Some of it wound up fitting me, but a lot of it got skipped over. For example I went from 22 to 18 in jeans, very rarely fitting into 20. I did not know exactly how my body would change. I now have a better grasp of the way my figure has changed and is continuing to change. For example, I know that the snug size 14 dresses in my closet (bought for under a fiver apiece) are definitely gonna fit well in a few months or a year. But I can't buy jeans in even a size 16 (even though I already have some 16's that fit right now) because I am a more difficult fit in jeans. Dress pants in my closet in every size from 12-16 will probably be worn even if I never make it to a 12 size jean.

I do have a denim semi fitted dress that I hope to get into with it looking good and not like a stuffed sausage. The dress cost a dollar or so. I personally would not spend "real money" on a motivation item. I would be more likely to treat myself after reaching the goal and just have a picture of the item or something like that. I've already decided that next summer I am going to pay full price for a brand new swimsuit. I have two currently that are too big and that will be a mini reward for me.