Cats and diets....

Options
Our cat Symon is really fat!! I'm gonna guess and say he weighs about 16 pounds. We have cut down his food and have regular "play" time with him. My kids were making fun of him this weekend because his stomach is so fat!! We rescued a kitten almost two months ago and we were hoping this would help get him a little more active. It has helped some but he is still FAT!!!

Is losing weight just as hard for a cat as it is for a human??

Here's the big guy...
81babac5-fd9b-455d-8f72-9976a06311c9_zps10ee93a2.jpg

Oh and here's Moe, she's our rescue kitty :heart:
20130926_152254_zpsa672f70f.jpg[/URL]

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Going to have to get him on specialized food and daily portions :(
    I had to do this with my little fatty, Tigger.
    The reason we got him a kitten buddy was because he was crying at odd hours of the night because he was lonely, so that has now stopped lol. But... We gained a NEW crier haha. The kitten cries when he's not getting attention. Win some, lose some :P
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Going to have to get him on specialized food and daily portions :(
    I had to do this with my little fatty, Tigger.
    The reason we got him a kitten buddy was because he was crying at odd hours of the night because he was lonely, so that has now stopped lol. But... We gained a NEW crier haha. The kitten cries when he's not getting attention. Win some, lose some :P

I made a vet appointment for next month. I know it's not going to be easy. He knows where I keep the treats and he sits at the cabinet door and meows!!! He is only 4 so he's still pretty young. I just don't want him to have major issues as he gets older.

I think the companionship will help your cat. Our kitty really took well and we don't have any issues with her at all. Symon does seem happier since we brought her home, he was getting pretty whiny too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i have two fat cats- one's always been pudgie- he was one of those "dog" type eaters- if there was food out- he was eating it.

My other cat was a free feeder- we had to restrict food- it was awful.

marty has since passed- ****thead has since learned to moderate- but the NEW one- came to me fat.

LIke seriously obese- we call her gigantor. seriously. she's huge.

I had a free feeder thing- and she sometimes just sits up there- eats- falls asleep with her face in the bowl- then eats again.

She's like a black cat garfield. Upside- she sleeps up stairs or downstairs so she runs up and down the stairs- probably more then what she was doing before.

Cats are SO hard to moderate- especially if you have two!!!
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Personally, I think the only problem you will face is if he refuses to eat the new food you get him, so you will have to slowly change his current food into the new diet program that you get him if he doesn't immediately go for it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My cat started gaining weight after we made her into an inside kitty only.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    This.
    I had an outside/inside cat before, he always came home thin, looking to replenish and got fat for 2 days, then went missing for 2 more lol.

I walk my eldest cat on a leash outside. (We live in the city, I can't exactly let him go outside or I'd probably find him squished on the road :( )
    I noticed he does better at night, when it's quieter and just runs about until I have to go free him. I got him one of those retractable leashes so he feels "freedom" when he gets walked, but I just can't let him be out there by himself. Too scary for a cat that had a broken foot before and with all the cars.. Goodness no.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This.
    I had an outside/inside cat before, he always came home thin, looking to replenish and got fat for 2 days, then went missing for 2 more lol.

I walk my eldest cat on a leash outside. (We live in the city, I can't exactly let him go outside or I'd probably find him squished on the road :( )
    I noticed he does better at night, when it's quieter and just runs about until I have to go free him. I got him one of those retractable leashes so he feels "freedom" when he gets walked, but I just can't let him be out there by himself. Too scary for a cat that had a broken foot before and with all the cars.. Goodness no.

Yeah it's way too scary and we live in the country so I'm afraid of coyotes and hawks taking her away. I havent done the kitty on a leash thing. She has to jump up to get to her food and bed, and we try to play chase around the house., but I'm afraid she's put on about 2lbs.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If you are feeding primarily kibble, that is the problem. Cats are carnivores. Please read this........

http://www.catinfo.org/

After taking our fat 11 year old cat off of diet kibble and putting her on high grade wet food from a specialty pet food store along with a single source high protein kibble, she is now a healthy spunky lean mean machine at 14 years of age. :) They need protein, not carbs, and they need to get water through their food like they would in the wild, not from a bowl.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    time to get him an MFP account and start logging
  • ThePlight
    Options
    time to get him an MFP account and start logging
    Shhh, he's secretly logging already ;) lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i second wet food. my older cat was and is still kinda chunky, but has lost weight since going on an all wet food diet.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I adopted a fat cat (20 pounds) and found it impossible to put him on a diet because of all the other pets in the house (I couldn't isolate him). He basically lived under the dining table and got fatter and fatter until he weighed 27 pounds.... so in desperation I "loaned" him to a friend who'd lost his cat due to old age. My friend put the fat cat on a diet and the cat now weighs 11 pounds, but it took several years. What he did: left no food out during the day and only put measured dry food out twice a day for meals.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    I adopted a fat cat (20 pounds) and found it impossible to put him on a diet because of all the other pets in the house (I couldn't isolate him). He basically lived under the dining table and got fatter and fatter until he weighed 27 pounds.... so in desperation I "loaned" him to a friend who'd lost his cat due to old age. My friend put the fat cat on a diet and the cat now weighs 11 pounds, but it took several years. What he did: left no food out during the day and only put measured dry food out twice a day for meals.
    I've been trying to do this, but my boyfriend ALWAYS feeds them when they whine :|
    So, I've given up for now, since he's toilet training them. But, as soon as they're done, BACK TO PORTIONS!!!!
  • TXgrad
    TXgrad Posts: 128
    Options
    Make sure you get him a HRM and that he is eating back his exercise calories ;)
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My cat was really fat. About 17.5 pounds. I became concerned and decided to switch up her food. I looked for an organic type of food without the fillers. Basically healthy cat food for indoor cats. And i also make sure to chase her around when i see her relaxing.

I also have another cat that is younger, but she is lean and mean, like the perfect weight (according to the vet). I thought she was too skinny, but she's just lean and tight. She moves fast too, a complete opposite of my fat cat.

Try changing the food, and controlling the portions. I had a bad habit of just filling the bowl and letting it run out. Now i disperse food twice a day, and it's not a lot. And i agree with adding more wet food to the diet in place of dry food.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    * Meal feed a measured amount.
    * Reduced-calorie cat food (see your vet).
    * Hide kibble around the house so your cat has to hunt for it. As in, the meals, not extra food.
    * If you feed treats, make sure to deduct the same caloric amount of meal food.
    * Encourage more play.

ETA: In regards to feeding separately, feed kitten in a different room until the meal is over. If all the food isn't gone in about 15-20 minutes, pick up the bowls.

ETA2: You can also make a special "food box" that is contained except for a small door that will fit the little cat, but the big guy can't enter.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Our furry fatso had to go on a strict diet of only 1 cup of dry food per day and a quarter can of wet food. It took him forever to lose 2 pounds and he hated me for it sooo much. It's just as tough for them.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options

Lol....I was thinking a Fitbit...hahahaha!!!!
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    * Meal feed a measured amount.
    * Reduced-calorie cat food (see your vet).
    * Hide kibble around the house so your cat has to hunt for it. As in, the meals, not extra food.
    * If you feed treats, make sure to deduct the same caloric amount of meal food.
    * Encourage more play.

ETA: In regards to feeding separately, feed kitten in a different room until the meal is over. If all the food isn't gone in about 15-20 minutes, pick up the bowls.

ETA2: You can also make a special "food box" that is contained except for a small door that will fit the little cat, but the big guy can't enter.

Thanks!!! Maybe I need to set up an MFP for him lol :)
  • ThePlight
    Options

Lol....I was thinking a Fitbit...hahahaha!!!!
    (Don't forget to shave the fur first!) lol