Seriously, How do YOU stay motivated?

Options
As many can sympathize been up and down with my weight. Never quite making any real headway. I made a decision to take control of my life three weeks ago. I committed (and have been going) to going to the gym 3-4x a week. My downfall is my husband works an opposite shift than myself. I tend to get bored at night and eat. I can do serious damage before I realize what I am doing! On the weekends he has been more supportive and thinking about eating healthier to help me.

My question to all of you who have 50+ pounds to lose or have lost. How do you stay motivated? I appreciate any suggestions you may have! This healthy life style is really new to me :flowerforyou:

Anyone that wants to be friends to motivate one another I am up for it!

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have a dress that I have to fit into by August 2014. I'm a bridesmaid, and it's the type of dress that I will never look good in unless I drop 40lbs. And then in 2015 I get married in Mexico. I carry a picture of the bridesmaid dress around with me, and a picture of the vintage bikini I want to wear in Mexico. I also have them pinned to my fridge, and at my desk at work. Also I have a pair of pants that I really want to fit in for my bridal showers, they're super cute and I fit in them once upon a time.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    1.) Mirrors
    2.) Taking self shots that just.. Gross me out lol.
    3.) The right music
    4.) The right FILLING food
    5.) Couple of dresses and lingerie hanging from my closet
    6.) Pictures of bodies I'd love to have + pics of how I used to look :)
    7.) Longer life, most of my family has reached 100+
    8.) Want to be a fit mommy, when I decide to have kids
    9.) I won't get married until I can fit into a nice wedding dress
    10.) So many more :) Make a list! :)
  • kimmied99
    Options
    Thank you both for sharing! I am going to use both your suggestions 1) make a list and 2) I have an awesome pair of pants from when I met my husband that has come back in fashion. Time to dust those puppies off!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    continually taking pictures, you don't always feel the difference or see it, but if you look at your progression it starts to become really apparent. I've lost like 92 pounds so far.
  • kimmied99
    Options
    Congratulations! I hate pictures but maybe I will give it a go. Thanks and keep it up you look great!
  • Solomino
    Solomino Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I read success stories! Hearing how other people have lost mega pounds, inspires me to continue. The saying "if they can do it, so can I" goes a long way for me.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Haha, I do have to admit.. The pictures do gross me out. BUT they are totally motivational, specially when you don't expect to see them, they always hit you as a shock haha. Well, at least in my case.
    @brdnw Wow O.o I would have never guessed, seeing your pic. Good job!
  • Malachai76
    Options
    I was the same found it hard to get motivated went to the gym or for a run when i could on average 3 times week and didn't eat healthy all the time, and would snack in the evening. What worked for me was home work out programs, since jan this year i've done insanity twice and just finished T25 the reason it worked me was i could fit it in my day usually in the evening after work and my daughter is in bed so i could get peace to do it. I've lost 34lbs so far so really worked for me my motivation came from the comments i got from people within two weeks of starting. If you would like to know more let me know, I'm happy to help
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    by dropping dress size's and seeing the difference in how clothes look on me now , knowing that i never want to be able to fit into my old size clothes again
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a pic of when I was at my heaviest...bleck ( I take pics of me in that dress from time to time just too see)

and

A mirror that is enough for me...
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Oh, and another one. Still being able to eat the foods that I love AND lose weight. (In smaller portions, of course and counting calories).
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated because I'm addicted to results...ya don't get results without putting in work :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I want to see the fat gone, pretty much, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What initially requires motivation quickly becomes ingrained habit and routine. Someone asking me how I stay motivated to get my nutrition and fitness on might as well be asking me how I stay motivated to brush my teeth every morning and every night before bed....I just do.
  • tknuzum1984
    Options
    <<<<< enough said.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle to stay motivated - - but what HAS helped me is when I do "mess up", I don't beat myself up about it for very long. I used to do this, and it would lead to a whole WEEK of more bad choices. Everyone here has been so supportive in reminding me to not make the situation even worse by beating myself up for days afterwards. Hope that helps!
  • oroblar
    oroblar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When my wife and I worked different shifts boredom and shoveling chips in my mouht got the best of me. I decided to workout while whe was at work, rather than in the morning before work. I always find it tougher to hit the junk food straight out of the gym.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Your gym routine needs to be interesting, progressively harder, and be demanding enough to get you visible results on a regular basis. Being able to actually see your shape changing over relatively short periods of time (six weeks, say) is VERY motivational. Look into some heavy lifting programs - New Rules of Lifting For Women, Stronglifts. I found that discipline with food came with actually seeing my body getting awesome. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It is also very beneficial to have realistic expectations and understand that you're not going to go from fat 2 fit overnight. These things take time...in fact, nutrition and fitness are lifetime endeavors so there really is no finish line.

If you're just chasing some arbitrary finish line it is going to be difficult to stay motivated...when you understand, and I mean truly understand "lifestyle" then you understand that you're going to have ups and downs and good days and bad days and **** is going to happen and you're going to miss a workout, etc. When you truly make nutrition and fitness a tremendous part of your daily life then a few bad days here and there are just that and it's pretty darned easy to move on from them.
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I hate pictures but maybe I will give it a go. Thanks and keep it up you look great!

As you lose weight, you'll hate the photographs less. Also, if others are behind the shutter, you'll look better if you pose than if you make them snap something random...