Losing my patience

Options
This Thursday will mark the 3rd month of my new lifestyle. I started at 230lbs and as of last Thursday was only down to 204--a loss of 26lbs. Along with counting calories, I typically have 7 workout sessions a week. I use a HRM to give me the best estimate on calories burned. I also have avoided any alcohol. I'm on Birth Control pills and Anti-anxiety meds. There have been a few weeks where I couldn't exercise, because my exercising consists of walking/running and I injured my knee and my ankle doing too much too fast. I'm completely healthy now--no pain anywhere. I noticed the weeks I didn't work out are the weeks I lost the most weight. One week I didn't lose any weight working out, then the next week I didn't work out and I lost 7lbs. I'm stupid, because the ONLY measurement I took when I began was the weight on the scale. Last week I actually gained weight. Not sure if it was the newly added anti-anxiety meds or not. I'm losing my patience. I know this sounds crazy, but is working out so much hindering my weightloss effort????? I think I have my diary public. I rarely have cheat days. I exercise a ton. I overestimate my calorie intake--and typically I eat 1200-1500 calories a day. WHAT am I doing wrong? Why can the people on The Biggest Loser and/or Extreme Weightloss lose 90lbs in 90 days--and I can't hit 30lbs in 90 days?????

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    YOU are a perfect example of why shows like The Biggest Loser are more harmful than good.

Those people are working out 7+ hours a day, eating about 700 calories a day, and are monitored 24/7 by med professionals.

And you're seriously wondering why you're not getting those results?

Also, haven't you heard about all the people who gain the weight back after the show? It's because it is not SUSTAINABLE.

Your weight loss progess is excellent. Keep up what you're doing and stop being ridiculous by thinking otherwise.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    ^This.

Be safe, patient and don't discount your good results by envying unrealistic goals.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Losing weight on your non workout weeks isn't uncommon. You're shedding a lot of water that your body uses to repair tissue. When you stop working out, your body releases that water.

30 lbs in 90 days is nothing to scoff at. It's better to lose it slowly anyway. Keep doing what you're doing because you seem to be on the right track.

And why do people on the biggest loser lose 90 lbs in 90 days? I've never seen an episode but from the promos, they all had WAY more weight to lose than you. The heavier you are, the faster you can lose initially. At your weight, you should expect to lose no more than 2 lbs per week and when you get around the 160s, you should switch to 1 lb per week and finally, when you get to the 140s, strive for no more than 1/2 lb a week. Lose weight to get healthier, don't lose weight just to lose weight because that's only one small part of the equation.
  • caarsen
    caarsen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    26 pounds in three months is amazing! You are to be congratulated.

As for The Biggest Loser - this is television. They NEED dramatic results like that or people aren't going to care and if they don't care they won't watch. The reality is that weight loss is a steady, ongoing lifestyle change and you have done a fantastic job so far. Keep up the good work.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    So you're losing a little over 2 pounds per week on average? This is really fast progress. Keep doing what you're doing for now.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Stop watching those shows! This right here is why I hate those shows. You are doing wonderful. Stay patient and consistent and you will continue to see results.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    ^This.

Be safe, patient and don't discount your good results by envying unrealistic goals.

Agreed.

Also with another poster about water retention with those big workout weeks.... maybe those weeks you aren't eating enough?

None the less 26 lbs in 3 months is very very impressive!!!
    Time is going to pass anyways, so why not lose 26lbs in 3 months, then gain 10 lbs in 3 months? you will get there, just keep to it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You need to change your perspective.

26lbs in 3 months is great and something you should be proud of. You're not on a tv show, you don't need dramatic results to be successful.

I want you to do me a favor. Go to the grocery store. Grab two 10lb bags of potatoes and one 5lb bag of potatoes. Stand still and hold that weight. Feel how heavy it is. Think about that extra weight on your body. Think about how tired you would be carrying that around all day. Then, put the bags down and notice how much lighter you feel now.

26lbs is a lot. Be happy for yourself. Keep doing what you're doing and start working on your patience.
  • samanthahix12
    Options
    So you're losing a little over 2 pounds per week on average? This is really fast progress. Keep doing what you're doing for now.

This.

3 months = about 12 weeks
    26 pounds/12 weeks = around 2.16 pounds a week!

That's outstanding!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    the biggest loser is an unrealistic setting of losing weight, they don't have to worry about their job, family, school etc. They just have to workout... an unhealthy amount I might add. It takes time, would you rather lose it like them and gain it back or would do you want to lost the weight the right way and keep it off. It just takes time
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you didn't gain the extra weight in a years time, don't expect to lose it all so fast. It takes time if you do it the right way. And slow and steady makes the chances of you gaining it back less likely. This isn't a race!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    YOU are a perfect example of why shows like The Biggest Loser are more harmful than good.

Those people are working out 7+ hours a day, eating about 700 calories a day, and are monitored 24/7 by med professionals.

Also, haven't you heard about all the people who gain the weight back after the show? It's because it is not SUSTAINABLE.

Your weight loss progess is excellent. Keep up what you're doing and stop being ridiculous by thinking otherwise.

This. This only thing you need to change is your expectations. Reasonable, healthy SUSTAINABLE weight loss is .5-2 pounds per week. At 3 months in with 26 pounds lost, you are at the higher range of that. You are doing FINE.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

^^^ all this! plus the people on those shows have trainers, dietitians, doctors, etc at their finger tips while they are working out 7 hours a day oh and did i mention chefs to cook their meals.

you should be extremely proud of the weight you have lost. you are doing great. you do mention you over estimate your calories watch out that you are in fact eating the right amount. as for stopping exercise and loosing - this happened to me (i didn't loose 7lbs but i did loose 1.5lbs). you know what i didn't question it why because i exercise not only to loose weight but also because it's good for me and i feel good when i do. oh and lastly make sure you are not over estimating you calories burns from exercise. i run (anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours and my calorie but is not nearly as high as yours)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You're making really fast progress.

The Biggest Loser is a TV show. It doesn't directly coincide with reality. Don't compare yourself to it.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Tbl and extreme weightloss are TERRIBLE yardsticks for most people to measure themselves by. We all want the excess weight gone like yesterday but we don't have live in nutritionists and trainers and doctors. Losing 2 lbs a week is awesome. Bravo. Also, you're a hell of a lot farther along than you would be had you not started taking care of yourself sooner.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I'm going to make a few suggestions,

>First is your caloric intake. 1200calories is way too low. Unless you are 50lbs, you need more to live healthily especially if you are burning so much on cardio.

>Second is your macro split. You are currently on a 66/16/18 split (66% of your calories come from carbs, 16% from fats and 18% from protein). Adjust this to numbers closer to (50Carbs/20Fat/30Protein).

>Third, you can work out 7 days a week, but it is not optimal, I'd shoot for something more like 4-5 with a rest day every 3rd/4th day.

>Fourth, how are you setting up your pre and post workout meals? Pre workout you need to be careful because you do not want to elevate your glycogen. Post workout you want to elevate your glycogen. If you don't arrange your workout meals around this, then you are working against yourself.

>Fifth, are you drinking enough water? Make sure to get a ton of water. I drink about 1-1.5 gallons a day, for you i'd suggest a bit less then maybe 1?

Just a few words for thought I've learned over the years... BTW, don't judge my by my profile, I rarely use MVP for my stats, only my macros.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. I'm going through this journey with my boyfriend. It has been frustrating, because I keep comparing myself to him. He gets to eat more calories. When we workout at the same pace (with me having a higher average heart rate) he typically burns about 200 more calories than me. I guess because he is a male and I'm female. Last night he splurged and had icecream and a couple candybars. I had an apple and a lemon jello for my special treat. It can be so frustrating working so hard and seeing the weight fall of so slow--while the people around you are eating McDonalds for breakfast, some other crap for lunch, and who knows what for dinner.

The bags of a potato is a real eye opener. The next time I step into a grocery store I will hold them up. You are absolutely right. 26lbs is a lot if you look at it that way!!!!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Oh my, sounds like you need to relax a bit and take it very slowly. You seem to have already overcome a lot, so total props to you for that, girl! Proud of you :)
    Just don't stress yourself out.. My anxiety is manageable, but it can make it hard to sleep. Last night I couldn't figure out why the heck I was so uncomfortable in bed.. And my anxiety made me think of all these outrageous reasons.. One "Hmm, must I really have an ulcer?" because my stomach area was achy. I had forgotten that the day before I targeted my core lol. As soon as I remembered (two hours later), I fell sound asleep haha.

But totally, just keep up with your calories and you will be TOTALLY fine! Like I said, you have already overcome so much! :)
    ETA: My anxiety is mildly manageable, so I don't take anything for it. I know that as soon as I figure out what's bothering me, and a "temporary" solution, I'll totally forget about it.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

This.

3 months = about 12 weeks
    26 pounds/12 weeks = around 2.16 pounds a week!

That's outstanding!

I was about to post this, you're complaining about ONLY losing 8.6lbs per month!? That's awesome!
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your problem.