what to bring to potluck

mmstone13
mmstone13 Posts: 60 Member
Any suggestions on what to bring to the company potluck? I do not want to advertise to the entire company that I am on a diet, but I would like to participate. So I want to bring a couple things that are healthier but still crowd-appealing. That way I know I what I am eating.

I know that one day won't kill me, but I am in crunch mode at the moment, so right now every day counts! :)

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Chili!
    Meat, lots of veggies, black beans (or whichever you prefer, just rinse them well before you throw it in, reduces the gassiness), spiciness and I add a can of pineapple tidbits for more flavour. Bake some corn bread on the side and you've got an easy dish that you can make large quantities of easily and you can freeze the left overs for another day.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Personally, I always bring a few veggie side dishes. Potlucks are usually a bunch of one dish type meals; casseroles and such. So, I always bring a few simple side dishes and stick to eating what I brought.
  • mmstone13
    mmstone13 Posts: 60 Member
    I like the chili idea, however, we just had a "chili cook off" a couple of weeks ago..... I usually bring a couple dishes, and people have been asking what I will be making this year, but I am in a slump!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    skinnytaste.com
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Alcohol.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    I bring desserts

But I'm that friend who tells all her friends to just eat and enjoy.

And alcohol of any kind is always a good choice.
  • lkweber21
    lkweber21 Posts: 27 Member
    I love to bring veggie pizza! Crescent rolls for the crust, low fat cream cheese and sour cream mixed with dry ranch dip for the base and whatever veggies you want to put on top. Delish!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    bring normal people food.
    don't bring cauliflower masquerading as pizza, or lasagne, or cookies, or steak tips.

a guaranteed winner is buffalo chicken dip and tortilla chips.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Lasagne.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    How about a quinoa salad? Easy to make the night before, cover and put in the fridge until lunch time the next day. After the quinoa is cooked, add a can of black beans, a can of corn, some sliced cherry tomatoes, some fresh cilantro, and maybe some cumin or other spice that you like. Healthy, easy and all your co-workers will know is that it is a great side dish to just about everything!!

The last two office potlucks I went to, I took hummus and fresh veggies. Everybody devoured. A couple of people used the hummus as a spread for their bread, and someone used it as a sauce/garnish for some rice thing that someone else made ... so there you go - two easy options. :flowerforyou:
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    I bring these turkey wraps to parties and they are always a hit. I double the recipe and then cut each one up in to 5 or 6 pieces just before serving. They are good with ham too.

Turkey Wraps with Chipotle Chile Mayo

Ingredients
    ½ cup mayonnaise
    1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
    2 green onions, minced
    1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
    1 to 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced - plus a tsp adobo sauce
    Salt to taste
    8 oz. sliced smoked turkey
    Romaine lettuce, center rib removed
    2 - 10 " flour tortillas

Directions

Mix first five ingredients, season with salt to taste. Spread each tortilla out on work surface. Divide mayo into two equal portions and spread on tortillas. Top with turkey and romaine lettuce and roll up tightly. Wrap in cling wrap and chill for at least 1 hour. Can be served with guacamole and salsa, as an appetizer or a light meal. Makes 2 servings but can be doubled.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    i always make it VERY clear that i won't come unless I'm to bring dessert or booze....

let's be frank....the one that brings dessert or booze is always the hero of the potluck.

i like being the hero.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    The first time I hosted a potluc was right out of college. Everyone brought chips and dip or cheap beer. We needed more food so I called for pizza.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    The first time I hosted a potluc was right out of college. Everyone brought chips and dip or cheap beer. We needed more food so I called for pizza.

it sounds to me like you're a man who knows how to get things done!
    you definitely saved that party.

High-Five-Fist-Bump-GIF.gif
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    I've been making this AMAZINGLY delicious and healthy "dip" that I take everywhere and everyone LOVES it:

Layer the following like a 7 layer bean dip:

Hummus
    cucumbers, chopped
    sun-dried tomatoes chopped
    canned or jarred artichokes chopped
    kalamata olives chopped
    feta cheese if you want (I only put it on half since I hate cheese lol)
    chopped fresh dill

Cut up fresh whole wheat Greek Flatbreads, cucumber slices, and squash slices for dipping. Easy peasy and a healthy dip that's super yummy!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    I usually make a Banana split cake, probably not totally healthy but um..it has fruit? :tongue: Plus it's a big time crowd pleaser.

Layer 1- 2 cups Graham Crackers (about 30 crushed)
    1 stick light butter
    1/4 cup Sugar
    Mix: Spread in 13x9 aluminum pan

Layer 2- 2 cups Powdered sugar
    1 brick of softened light cream cheese
    Mix together and spread over layer 1

Layer 3- 3 or 4 Bananas, sliced

Layer 4- 20 oz Crushed pineapple, well drained

Layer 5- 9 oz light cool whip tub

Layer 6- Maraschino cherries and chopped walnuts

Refrigerate overnight.

The result:

x0p9og.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,868 Member
    I like quinoa edamame salad. I make it with quinoa, shelled frozen edamame, blanched snow peas, halved cherry tomatoes and some sundried tomatoes, dressed with balsamic vinaigrette. If you want a proper recipe, here's a version:

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/asian-quinoa-salad/

Barley tabouleh is a similar style of salad. Both are essentially modern takes on pasta salads.

http://www.food.com/recipe/barley-tabbouleh-243339

Also crudites and pita chips with some dips such as hummous, tzaziki, or one of these

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Bobtheangrytomato/view/white-bean-hummus-481000
    http://vintagecookbooktrials.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/boiled-carrot-salad/
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/may/24/how-perfect-smoked-mackerel-pate

In the mackerel dip recipe substitute Phildelphia Light for the Creamed Cheese, and No Fat Yoghurt for the Creme Fraiche.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Lasagne with the pasta sheets replaced with roasted veggies (egg plant, sweet potato, capsicum, zucchini) and a healthy but delicious salad (spinach, roasted pumpkin, pine nuts and goats cheese/feta etc.).

Sweet potat mash, Thai green/red curry chicken
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Alcohol.

Yes. I don't cook or bake but I'm really good at buying this stuff.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Lasagne with the pasta sheets replaced with roasted veggies (egg plant, sweet potato, capsicum, zucchini) and a healthy but delicious salad (spinach, roasted pumpkin, pine nuts and goats cheese/feta etc.).

This isn't what I was talking about. I meant actual lasagne.