what to bring to potluck

2»

Replies

• Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    This lentil salad makes a ton (perfect for bringing somewhere), takes literally 20 min to put together, is even better the next day, and is very healthy. Plus, everyone absolutely loves it. I've served it at big parties and brought it places and i never fail to get bug-eyed raves, even from folks who don't eat lentils. It also lasts for a good week in the fridge:glasses: - which I found out after having made it then cancelled on a party.

The Best Lentil Salad, Ever:

Ingredients:
    2 ¼ cups (1 lb.) Du Puy lentils*-be sure to use Du Puy lentils, as they retain their shape and dont get mushy
    1 medium red onion, diced
    1 cup dried currants (you could also use raisins or other dried fruit)
    1/3 cup capers

Vinaigrette:
    1/3 cup cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. maple syrup
    1 Tbsp. strong mustard
    2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. turmeric
    1/2 tsp. ground coriander
    ½ tsp ground cardamom
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    ¼ tsp. ground cloves
    1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon

Optional add-ins:
    Arugula
    Walnuts
    Goat cheese
    Fresh herbs: flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, basil
    Sprouts
    Crispy seasonal veggies

Directions:
    1. Rinse lentils well, drain. Place in a pot and cover with a 3-4 inches of water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Check lentils for doneness after 15 minutes, but they should take about 20 minutes in total. You will know they are cooked if they still retain a slight tooth – al dente! Overcooking the lentils is the death of this dish. Be careful!
    2. While the lentils are simmering, make the dressing by placing all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously to combine.
    3. Finely dice red onion – the salad is best if all the ingredients are about the same size. If using raisins, chop them roughly to make them a bit smaller, and do the same with the capers if they are large.
    4. When the lentils are cooked, remove from heat, drain and place under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled slightly but still a little warm, place lentils in a large serving bowl and toss with dressing. Add other onion, capers, and currants. If using other add-ins such as herbs, greens, or cheese, wait until just before serving. Otherwise, this salad can hang out in the fridge for a couple days.
  • mmstone13
    mmstone13 Posts: 60 Member
    This lentil salad looks excellent! I have never actually made anything with lentils, so it might be a fun experiment! Thank you!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I like to bring a "big salad" - either just vegetables or adding a good protein, and fruit (fruit salad, fruit kabobs, fruit plate). this way, i know that i'll be able to eat something, and i know that a lot of people appreciate a salad and fruit.

Either a healthy slaw (cabbage, grated carrots, toasted almonds, cranberries, with a light vinaigrette) or a salad based on lots of lettuce/greens, additional vegetables (tomato, cucumber, peppers, etc) and then your protein (cubed feta cheese, roast chicken, nuts, etc).
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    A layered salad, with lettuce, frozen peas, cooked macaroni, cherry tomatoes and maybes some chicken breast, layer it in a large bowl and bring a bottle of your favorite dressing. People love this at a pot luck! Also if you want to do dessert, another layer idea is frozen pound cake, strawberries and cool whip. Cube the pound cake and layer it with pound cake, strawberries and cool whip. So good!!
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Seven layer taco dip can be made low fat, serve with pita chips
  • emlynje
    emlynje Posts: 1 Member
    I made this for a work potluck last week and it was delicious!

In a crockpot combine:

1 Large butternut squash, cubed
    3 Sweet potatoes, cubed
    1 Onion, diced
    2 Apples (I used Honey Crisp), diced
    3 Stalks celery, choped
    2 Cans chicken broth
    a pinch of...
    Salt
    Pepper
    Rosemary
    Sage
    Cinnamon
    Nutmeg

It will take while so I reccomend cooking it on low overnight. It reheats great too!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    a bottle of vodka
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    OMG - one of my favourite desserts ever! Yum. Craving!
    I usually make a Banana split cake, probably not totally healthy but um..it has fruit? :tongue: Plus it's a big time crowd pleaser.

Layer 1- 2 cups Graham Crackers (about 30 crushed)
    1 stick light butter
    1/4 cup Sugar
    Mix: Spread in 13x9 aluminum pan

Layer 2- 2 cups Powdered sugar
    1 brick of softened light cream cheese
    Mix together and spread over layer 1

Layer 3- 3 or 4 Bananas, sliced

Layer 4- 20 oz Crushed pineapple, well drained

Layer 5- 9 oz light cool whip tub

Layer 6- Maraschino cherries and chopped walnuts

Refrigerate overnight.

The result:

x0p9og.jpg
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    I like to bring a "big salad" - either just vegetables or adding a good protein, and fruit (fruit salad, fruit kabobs, fruit plate). this way, i know that i'll be able to eat something, and i know that a lot of people appreciate a salad and fruit.

Either a healthy slaw (cabbage, grated carrots, toasted almonds, cranberries, with a light vinaigrette) or a salad based on lots of lettuce/greens, additional vegetables (tomato, cucumber, peppers, etc) and then your protein (cubed feta cheese, roast chicken, nuts, etc).

Good plan.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Check out DashingDish.com. There's a "warm cheesy spinach dip" and a "skinny spinach artichoke dip". I've made both a couple of times and they've always been a success.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    A platter of fresh fruit, strawberries, melons, grapes.
    I did an apple and rhubarb crumble once, which was very popular.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    bring normal people food.

lil smokies wrapped in bacon with brown sugar over em then baked in the oven... If they arent all eaten I'll chop off my balls

Lemme say this, my vegetarian friend doesn't bring vegetarian food to football games. She makes something people actually want.
  • kynara
    kynara Posts: 5
    Anytime we have a potluck at work, since they all know I don't cook, I'm usually the one who brings the plastic cups and paper plates. :flowerforyou:

alcohol not allowed, but if it were, I know some people at work who would benefit from it... lol
  • Patty50548
    Patty50548 Posts: 9 Member
    jalapeno poppers have always been a hit when I take them - jalapenos, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, & bacon...and it fits my low-carb diet.

I also like bringing stuffed mushrooms - sausage & cream cheese filling in mushroom caps.

shrimp cocktail is another item that meets my dietary needs & is well-received.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    I was waffling over whether or not to participate in my office Thanksgiving meals (yes, meals plural!) this year because I'm going to want to save calories for the family Thanksgiving. I'm totally in for lentil salad now. Thank you so much!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I'm a fan of baked brie. Mix brandy, brown sugar, and walnuts, pour over brie and bake until soft. So tasty!
  • Salad of any kind is a total winner. No one ever takes salad to potluck and everyone is gorging on stews and pastries and cakes… I've found salad actually goes down well! I usually do couscous with raisins, cherry tomatoes etc through it and sometimes some strips of haloumi.