How do you treat your depression?? Lets Share!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Different types of depression cannot be easily dismissed as irrelevant, nor how each person reacts to their mental distress...Because not matter what it is just that.."mental distress" be it your diagnosed with clinical or you are able to push through it on your own. You can't compare any two people when it comes to depression. How someone is feeling if its situational or clinical, or how severe another thinks theirs is compared to another is just plain silly.

I did have to go on medication for a short time with just situational depression because no matter how you cut it...anything causing depression long term or not, is causing brain damage. The brain is not processing things correctly so it is sick and will remain sick until it can receive treatment, again be it long term or not.

Just like clinical when I was stuck in a sitational depression I only continued to sink lower and lower...live like that without any resolve to the issues for any length of time your going to break mentally, maybe even premenantly.

My depression was situational. Situational simply means caused by the situation, and therefore less likely to recur if the situation has changed or the patient is better equipped to deal with it. Nothing in it states lesser, or lower levels. It's not a competition...more power to people like you who have it in perspective :)
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

Researched my condition? I lived with it for 6 straight years. This is not a few days or a few months. It really sounds like you are completely disregarding my personal experiences as false for no reason other than my experiences differ from yours. Hey, if I didn't experience it, it must not be true! Said every *kitten* and bigot, ever.

Talking about whether it's willpower or not is a logical fallacy, it's called a straw man argument, so I won't address it. Bad form.

I think I'm done with this conversation though. I wish you all the best.

And I've lived with my condition for 32 years. I think we might be even on that scale. Just a touch, I daresay.

I have in no way disregarded your experience - only those who exclaim a bath makes them not depressed. I don't recall you saying anything like that. You took a statement that someone else said (that I agreed with), ran with it as if they were calling you out personally (they weren't) and then further acted as if I were calling you out.

I disagree with your definition of depression. Science likely would as well.

But in no instance did I disrespect your experience. If you'd like to find your way out of this conversation, please do so. You have a life to attend to, as do I.

No problem. I realize the subjective nature of reality (Remember the theory of relativity?) so I won't tell you you're wrong. I'm not offended, although I do feel as though you have alluded to, even if not outright said, that I do NOT have clinical depression many times, and I definitely see that as disrespectful considering what I've been through. I also consider it illogical, and hard-headed considering it was diagnosed by a clinical psychologist. I spilled my heart - For no reason other than I love people infinitely, and I want to help them if they need help. So it doesn't really matter to me if you disagree. In fact, disagreement is one of those wonderful things that makes us human, and being human is a beautiful thing.

I wasn't kidding when I said I wished you the best. Be well, and prosper.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bipolar II here. I don't take meds for mine, though it does get pretty vicious at time.

As weird as it sounds, I actually have a list of things I enjoy or find beautiful or that make me laugh. An actual physical list. With something like 80-90 things on it. These are things that I know I enjoy on a sensual or spiritual level, so even when I bottom out, the rational part of my brain goes, "No, there are beautiful and enjoyable things in the world and they're still there for you to appreciate and enjoy."

The other way I deal with it is by writing down what I think might be causing the depression at the time. And as I pour it out on the page, going on and on about it, I let myself cry or get angry or whatever. Then I put it aside and go take a nap, with the idea of, "Okay, now that my brain's gotten that out of the way, I'm going to get the real rest I need to heal."

Shortly after that, things start looking up, and soon I'm off and running again. :)

It mystifies the crap out of my husband, let me tell you, but he can count on one hand the number of times he's ever seen my depression last longer than a day and a half.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

No problem. I realize the subjective nature of reality (Remember the theory of relativity?) so I won't tell you you're wrong. I'm not offended, although I do feel as though you have alluded to, even if not outright said, that I do NOT have clinical depression many times, and I definitely see that as disrespectful considering what I've been through. I also consider it illogical, and hard-headed considering it was diagnosed by a clinical psychologist. I spilled my heart - For no reason other than I love people infinitely, and I want to help them if they need help. So it doesn't really matter to me if you disagree. In fact, disagreement is one of those wonderful things that makes us human, and being human is a beautiful thing.

I wasn't kidding when I said I wished you the best. Be well, and prosper.

Thank you. It is a subject we both feel very passionately about. This is a good thing. Thank you.
    Different types of depression cannot be easily dismissed as irrelevant, nor how each person reacts to their mental distress...Because not matter what it is just that.."mental distress" be it your diagnosed with clinical or you are able to push through it on your own. You can't compare any two people when it comes to depression. How someone is feeling if its situational or clinical, or how severe another thinks theirs is compared to another is just plain silly.

I did have to go on medication for a short time with just situational depression because no matter how you cut it...anything causing depression long term or not, is causing brain damage. The brain is not processing things correctly so it is sick and will remain sick until it can receive treatment, again be it long term or not.

Just like clinical when I was stuck in a sitational depression I only continued to sink lower and lower...live like that without any resolve to the issues for any length of time your going to break mentally, maybe even premenantly.

I agree with this to a point.

But when you are looking at potential treatment plans, the type and duration of depression IS important. Will you try CBT therapy? How about medication? Sun lamp treatments? Talk therapy? Electroconvulsive therapy? (Electroshock) What stressors need to be looked at? Does the patient need a new job? How about inpatient treatment? Outpatient?

If one did not differentiate between depressions at all - then everyone would be getting hooked up to electrodes and getting shocked. (Or else NO ONE would, and for some people, ECT is literally lifesaving.) Thankfully, doctors DO differentiate, and thus treatments can be adapted to what will actually help the patient.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Going to smash two of my posts together *SMUUUUSH*
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do take meds.....Effexor, to be exact.

But I freely admit that getting out and taking a long walk does WONDERS for my disposition. Getting myself out can be tough but once I AM out, I just want to keep on going. I am lucky to have lots of places to walk and shops to walk to. I take my mp3 player with me and I don't even realize how the time is passing. And this time of year is just perfect for long walks. Yesterday, I went looking for pinecones for holiday wreaths and found all different kinds. And the foliage is just beautiful to see.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bipolar II here. I don't take meds for mine, though it does get pretty vicious at time.

As weird as it sounds, I actually have a list of things I enjoy or find beautiful or that make me laugh. An actual physical list. With something like 80-90 things on it. These are things that I know I enjoy on a sensual or spiritual level, so even when I bottom out, the rational part of my brain goes, "No, there are beautiful and enjoyable things in the world and they're still there for you to appreciate and enjoy."

The other way I deal with it is by writing down what I think might be causing the depression at the time. And as I pour it out on the page, going on and on about it, I let myself cry or get angry or whatever. Then I put it aside and go take a nap, with the idea of, "Okay, now that my brain's gotten that out of the way, I'm going to get the real rest I need to heal."

Shortly after that, things start looking up, and soon I'm off and running again. :)

It mystifies the crap out of my husband, let me tell you, but he can count on one hand the number of times he's ever seen my depression last longer than a day and a half.

I LOVE your method of a list of things that make you happy! I think I am going to try that. I mentally go through the things I am thankful for already, but not the things I enjoy or think are beautiful. I think an actual written list is a wonderful idea.
  • trudijoy
    Options

I LOVE your method of a list of things that make you happy! I think I am going to try that. I mentally go through the things I am thankful for already, but not the things I enjoy or think are beautiful. I think an actual written list is a wonderful idea.

i do mine on my phone. that way i can read through a list of positives whenever i want.
  • lets_fly_away
    Options
    Music playing with a cat and very long walks
  • trudijoy
    Options

My depression was situational. Situational simply means caused by the situation, and therefore less likely to recur if the situation has changed or the patient is better equipped to deal with it. Nothing in it states lesser, or lower levels. It's not a competition...more power to people like you who have it in perspective :)

No its definately not a competition, even though ours was caused by situations (a 3year old one lol..that I wish to never repeat :P ) it was hell and I felt extremely pit of despair, I didn't see a way out for a long time and that made me become reckless and lash out. Again can't compare to another, but it was worst than hell.

I hear that. Mine included being diagnosed with a chronic illness i'll be medicated for for life, losing my nana, my dad getting diagnosed with cancer twice, losing friendships, finally meeting a great guy only to have him end up moving to the states quite soon in the piece, a couple of relationship dramas including an ex who ended up in jail. . . blah blah blah. My doctor swears that anyone would have ended up in my shoes in my situation. Just because depression is caused or triggered by something you can put your finger on doesn't make it any easier.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    internet dramas = double post. oops
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights, put them down and repeat over and over lol. Seriously, weight lifting for an hour always makes me feel powerful and in control of any problem.

I tend to get this sensation from lifting as well. I love it.
  • spplan
    spplan Posts: 1
    Options
    What works best for me is going outside for a run. I love it! Fresh air is awesome for those sad-depressing days.
    Also if I can't go running because of bad weather or whatever I take a break of whatever I'm doing, I eat a piece of fresh fruit, drink a glass of water or I write poems.

I've been struggling with depression for the last 2 years and I've found that these activities make me feel better and clear my mind from negative stuff.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Some of these answers show me that many of you have not experienced depression. That is a very good thing. For those that have, however, exercise does help, but there is no shame in getting medication. If you had a heart condition or diabetes, you would take your medication, wouldn't you?

Clinical depression is an illness of the brain - not the mind.

Who are you to hold claim to objective truth in the matter of depression? You don't know any of us, and assuming people who don't get treated with pills don't have depression is offensive. I'm not going to get into my background, but I assure you I had clinical depression - Which I treated through sheer power of Mind, after refusing meds for many years, even while undergoing inpatient rehabilitation. I am not a special snowflake; We all have this power, and you are severely underestimating the power of the human mind.

I know you weren't talking to me, but I saw the post and felt the need to reply. There is nothing wrong with taking meds either, if it works for you, I'm glad it makes you happy. But it's certainly not necessary. I could get into the FDA, about how America and the UK are some of the only places in the world where they are allowed to advertise drugs, but I won't.

Nobody said medication was the end all be all for those depressed. However, there needs to be a line between depression as a mental disease and feeling down in the dumps. I've lived with depression for 11 years. I've yet to go through inpatient because it scares me. I'm trying to find a way to actually being content. I can tell you a hot shower or bath is nice, but it doesn't cure my depression. I work out 3-5 days a week. It feels good and I'm glad I do it, but it doesn't stop me from often wishing I wasn't alive. The real thing that upsets me and obviously others is the broadening of "depression" to mean feeling a little blue or down in the dumps. It's like the people who talk about their "diet soda addiction" because they drink 2-3 cans a day.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hi, I find that what I put in media wise has a big impact on how I feel. I try to keep the things I watch, read and listen to lighthearted. I also take 5htp and St. John's Wort, and together they help a lot with depression and anxiety. Facing my fears helps a lot too. Following my intuition seems to help too. I have not been great at that the past few years, but I finally think I can improve in that area because I see the problem.

I have some weaknesses with my mode of treatment right now too. I really need to make some friends because I need someone to talk to besides someone I pay to listen to me or my family members. I am not great at making friends. I get really nervous, shy, timid and find it hard to open up in person. Sometimes you really need to talk to someone who is a friend but not as close as a family member, especially when you are in a stressful, life changing situation where you need to make good decisions. I have some plans to change this by moving and beginning new activities.

Yay - go 5HTP!

As someone who has personally dealt with a lot of the issues discussed here, I think nutrition can have a lot to do with mood. Feed your body well and it's much more inclined to be happy and functional.
  • Bharrell414
    Bharrell414 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Currently going through this (and unfortunately have in the past). I find that getting all of my internal thoughts out is the most helpful. Usually I do this through private blogging that I don't share. Occasionally I make posts public that I feel will help someone else or allow them to relate. But mostly, I just need to get all of my darkness onto paper so it's no longer floating around in my head.

Also, taking your medication regularly and keeping a healthy diet is helpful. Easier said than done, at times.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    How do you treat your depression??

One big catalyst for being healthier is, eating right and exercise both help me keep out of deep depression away from the need for medication. Also, I like to be competitive and play sports. Other things that help sometimes and cause depression at others are spending time with my family or friends, getting involved in larger work projects, and stuff like that.

Cutting down sugar and caffeine really helps with the anxiety I have as well.

Not to be crude, but self-release can really help too.

Or writing and playing instruments.

Sometimes it is hit or miss with what works to snap the funk.