Ketosis

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
The idea of ketosis is quite interesting to me, I don't want to loose weight but I do want to reduce my bf%. From what I've been reading ketosis can help me do this.

Now I am slightly worried about exercise, I like to run, not major distances but a few miles. Will this be safe on a ketosis diet? I don't want to make myself ill or pass out on a run.

Also is the idea to get your weight/bf to the desired range and then gradually increase carbs until you find the 'maintenance' carb level?

Replies

• BronwynNZ
    BronwynNZ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps with ketosis diet. But I did find I got tired quickly. I don't know if it will help reduce bf. Did loss weight, diet was really hard to stick to and if you cheated you went out of ketosis.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't see any metabolic advantages, fat loss wise, to being in ketosis.

A good balanced diet with a moderate deficit and some exercise will do the job.

And you get to eat bacon sandwiches.

Carbtastic.

Winner. ;)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

Carbtastic.

Winner. ;)
    This^^^^^^
    tumblr_m1rkzpHj1n1r6aoq4o1_500_zps2c091f68.gif
  • shivles
    Options

Carbtastic.

Winner. ;)

How could switching your body's main energy source to fat not help with fat loss?
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Carbtastic.

Winner. ;)

How could switching your body's main energy source to fat not help with fat loss?

Looks like you already have an answer, Do it if it will help you
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I do it every now and again- mainly to kick start a plateau, it does seem to help but also because when I'm in ketosis I feel awesome, sleep better and have loads of energy. It does get quite a few haters on the forums but I'm a believer in giving these things a try. Good luck
  • shivles
    Options
    I also find carbs very addictive, another reason I feel it would help me! I'll just have to watch the vitamin levels :)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound like something that a person can stay on for long. To drop weight and be healthy we just have to eat healthy in smaller portions and include exercises.
  • jamesday100
    Options
    I am currently doing a ketosis type diet. The best thing about the diet is that I have no hunger swings. Not really having carb cravings but everyone is different. At first its hard but once your body adapts you'll find you have alot more energy. A couple of tweaks was upping my salt in take and eating more often (5 meals a day). The food can get abit bland if your not very creative. But there are lots of recipes out there on the net. I have been doing it now 3 months and have gone from 22% body fat to 15%. Without excercise. Now adding excercise to the mix I hope to get to 10%.
  • sinabu
    sinabu Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm doing keto as well. Around 3 months now. My main goal was to lose weight. So far I have lost 42 lbs and I just started my strength training and cardio last week.

I feel great and I'm starting to see things tone up and shape up..

281lbs down to 239lbs and from a 2XLT shirt to a Regular XL so far!

To be honest though besides the weight loss this has been the best diet I have ever tried. Not only do I feel great. My energy levels are consistent and strong. I'm more clear headed throughout the day at work and two major health benefits, 1, I no longer take my daily medication for GERD and 2, I no longer have to use a CPAP machine to sleep/breathe at night.

There are a ton of folks who do Keto Long term once they reach their goal weights and even more so that do it for weight training/cardio. So Far I haven't found anything negative in my own experience
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am doing a ketogenic diet. Have been for 4 months. With PCOS it is the only thing that I have actually seen results with. Give it a try, you will have the energy. Be warned though that you may have what they call 'Keto flu" at first and you should get sodium and lots of water to get through this. Broth is your best friend.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've been doing more low carb (not necessarily full on keto, but trying to stay around 50g of net carbs per day) for 3 months and have dropped 15lbs. Maybe I'm carb sensitive or something, because eating 2400 cals a day with normal carb levels was not letting me lose weight, but 2400 on low carb, and the weight is coming off. I had already lost 50lbs and had been stalled for almost a year. Now the scale is moving, the tape measure is moving, and I'm 15lbs from my goal weight. The losses are slow- averaging about 1/2 lb a week, but that's fine. I lift 3x a week and do 2-3 cardio sessions a week, but I've been doing this all along.

I did get the carb flu symptoms, especially when doing a heavy lifting set, I'd get a headache. That passed in a week or so. Since then, I feel great. Good energy levels, my mind is clear and sharp. Sleeping great.

My wife is on it too and has dropped 10lbs in 3 weeks. 8 the 1st 2 and then 2lbs last week. Her goal is to lose 2 a week so we'll see how she does this week when she weighs in.
  • shivles
    Options
    I'm hoping not to loose weight really, just fat, as I think my weight is at a perfect level for me. However if I'm eating at maintenance I suppose my body will just do what's right! I find carbs very addictive, which is another reason I think that they are bad for me personally. Clearly some people cope well with carbs but I end up in a binge and a carb bloat if I even sniff sugar or white bread lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Carbtastic.

Winner. ;)

Increased fat oxidation is due to increased fat intake, not increased body fat loss
  • shivles
    Options

Carbtastic.

Winner. ;)

Increased fat oxidation is due to increased fat intake, not increased body fat loss

Pardon?
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    I did it for ~4 months, I did maintain most of my lean mass but the hypoglycemia on cardio days was brutal. I didn't have low energy after the first week's readjustment - in fact, mine was significantly higher than I remember it being previously on a zone-type cutting diet, which is really the main benefit of the diet (moreso than fat loss, probably). Just had to keep my dinner down afterwards. >.<

e - should mention, I did a cyclical ketogenic diet, I wasn't in ketosis full-time. I had a weekly high-GI refeed.
  • jamesday100
    Options
    If you want to lose bodyfat whilst doing a ketosis type diet you have to keep your protein levels high.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Carbtastic.

Winner. ;)

Because your body is using the fat you consume in your diet as fuek instead of the carbs you eat. You are thinking that it burns directly from your fat stores. It does not.
  • shivles
    Options
    Everything I'm reading tells me it will use my body's fat stores, do you have a link to back up your claim it doesn't? I've had a look but can't find one.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Everything I'm reading tells me it will use my body's fat stores, do you have a link to back up your claim it doesn't? I've had a look but can't find one.

generally you use what you eat first and pull on reserves when your meals have been digested and used or stored. So it would be true to say that if you eat a high fat diet and are in ketosis that the fat providing the ketones and energy is the fat you ate - apparently saturated fat is preferentially used this way.

When you've run out of fat from your fork you'll burn fat from your flab.