Getting anxious about scale fluctuations...please help...

Options
13»

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle, you need to eat at a surplus. You won't gain muscle eating at a deficit.

I wish there was a way I could scream this from the MFP rooftops loudly enough!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    To gain muscle, you need to eat at a surplus. You won't gain muscle eating at a deficit.

I think I understand that. and with the help of a trainer--hopefully I can find how much I should be eating (surplus wise) for muscle gain.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Eat more PROTEIN! Open your diary so we can see exactly what your eating - don't hide it.

Good Luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I think I understand that. and with the help of a trainer--hopefully I can find how much I should be eating (surplus wise) for muscle gain.

MFP can tell you that, just set it to gain 0.5lb per week and eat back all your exercise cals... and dont weigh yourself
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Without knowing all your info...
    I am guessing you are ~26
    height @ 5'5"
    Weight @ 100
    and exercise @ 3 days.
    Your TDEE is 1600 - 1700

If you are currently doing no exercise, then with those numbers above, your TDEE is gonna be ~1400 - 1450 (maybe high of 1500) daily.

Just lying in bed all day and doing nothing, you are @ 1200
  • rosemary98
    Options

Without knowing all your info...
    I am guessing you are ~26
    height @ 5'5"
    Weight @ 100
    and exercise @ 3 days.
    Your TDEE is 1600 - 1700

If you are currently doing no exercise, then with those numbers above, your TDEE is gonna be ~1400 - 1450 (maybe high of 1500) daily.

Just lying in bed all day and doing nothing, you are @ 1200

actually, I don't exercise at all. I walk on occasion ( I am talking a light 10 minute walk twice a week). I am 36. I had a baby 18-months ago (secretly hoping the personal trainer can help tone the tummy, too). Yes, you are right on with the no exercise TDEE.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

actually, I don't exercise at all. I walk on occasion ( I am talking a light 10 minute walk twice a week). I am 36. I had a baby 18-months ago (secretly hoping the personal trainer can help tone the tummy, too). Yes, you are right on with the no exercise TDEE.

you're 98lbs and you think you need to 'tone' your stomach?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Based on that, yep, ~1400 is where you should be.....I think I would vote to do ~1500 myself.
    I would also be curious as to your macro breakdown is, with those 1400 calories.

When you started lifting, I would definitely do an increase of ~200 calories.....track that for about 2 - 3 weeks.
    See how you are trending....maybe not so much by scale, but by mirror, measurements, and how you feel.
  • rosemary98
    Options

you're 98lbs and you think you need to 'tone' your stomach?

For all the women who have had babies (c-sections in particular) and have flat, toned stomachs...I am sure they achieved that by some exercise. I don't exercise. I don't have a large stomach, just one lacking tone. I think if I could build up some muscle, I would look better. Often times women develop a separation of the muscles during pregnancy. Some cases are quite severe, others are pretty minor. I am on the minor side. But I want to tone and build muscle all over...it isn't just about my stomach.
  • rosemary98
    Options

Based on that, yep, ~1400 is where you should be.....I think I would vote to do ~1500 myself.
    I would also be curious as to your macro breakdown is, with those 1400 calories.

When you started lifting, I would definitely do an increase of ~200 calories.....track that for about 2 - 3 weeks.
    See how you are trending....maybe not so much by scale, but by mirror, measurements, and how you feel.

and I should eat back my exercise calories, right? Thanks for the info. my macros are set at the standard MFP default. I do, however, exceed on protein nearly everyday.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Are your muscles sore from the visit to the gym? If so, then your body is holding onto fluid (to repair muscles, although you think it's not possible - it is.)
    Have you eaten before weighing? Wearing the same thing/weighing at the same time? Have you pooped lately?
    Anything can attribute to a small fluctuation.
    Don't weigh daily if it will bother you.

Now, that said, if you are going to be working out, log and eat your exercise calories. I can guarantee you that maintenance isn't 1450 for you. If MFP gave you 1450 as a goal, eat that much. There is already a deficit worked in so you lose without exercise.

**You added more after I started replying.

You are under 100lbs and want to lose more weight? How tall are you? I don't imagine you should go much lower than you are!!

No. Trying to maintain weight. I haven't started to work out. I start that process today by touring the gym and signing up. (big step for me) and hoping to increase muscle and tone. I am 5'5.5.''

My maintenance did come out to be 1450 using the sedentary setting. I typically eat that. (a few days I happen to eat less). trying to figure out my body and how much food it needs and will even out at. If I jump to 1800 I am scared the weight would pile on, if the scale is gaining at maintenance.

note: I will definitely be eating back all of my exercise calories. no question about that.

You are 5'5" and weigh less than 100lbs? I am 5'6" and was told by a nutritionist that a healthy weight for my height is around 130-145.

I am exceptionally small boned...and no muscle at all. I am trying to change that. hence, why I am starting the gym. I know I will gain weight my doing some lifting, etc. I am okay with that...because that will be muscle.

If you are going to the gym with the intent to gain muscle, you are going to have to eat MORE than your maintenance calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

QFT!!! :huh:
  • TavistockToad
    Options

and I should eat back my exercise calories, right? Thanks for the info. my macros are set at the standard MFP default. I do, however, exceed on protein nearly everyday.

yes, or re-calculate your TDEE based on how many times you will be going to the gym per week.

But if you want to gain weight you need to add 10-20% onto your TDEE.
  • alduvall
    alduvall Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too, but I just tell myself a pound of fat is about 3,500 calories so unless I consumed an additional 20,000+ calories over the past couple of days, it's just water retention, hormones or whatever. It always falls back if I don't get discouraged and I keep doing the right things. I'm actually weird in that I weigh myself a lot! I weigh myself throughout the day everyday--maybe even 5-6 times sometimes. For me, because my weight can fluctuate so much, it made me less sensitive to the scale and I can see the patterns and not get discouraged. If you only weigh once in a while and you've been doing the right things and happen to weigh at a time when you're fluctuating up, that could be a downer. But anyway, whatever works. I think I've only read one "expert" who says to do what I do, but it works for me and when I see 6 pounds in a day since I know it wasn't that way yesterday, I know it's not real. I also find I have to change my workouts a lot and even take days off or my body rebels and won't lose anything. Keep up the great work!!! Not happy you have to have the big ups and downs too, but it is nice not to be the only one! :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Being a recovered anorexic/bulimic, I believe that you are not eating 1400 calories per day or you are WAY overestimating your intake our of fear of gaining an ounce. I'm only 5ft2 and when I was anorexic, I got down to 98 and I was very, very frail and I have a medium sized bone structure. I thought I looked really good. It makes me ill when I see photos of me back then. YOUR brain is making you think you look OK. Please believe me.

And that's exactly why the diary isn't open.

Edit: A 36-year old female of 5.5ft weighing in at 99lb has a BMR of 1141 and a sedntary TDEE of 1369.

There isn't a cat's chance in hell that you would be maintaining on 1400.