Making Your Veggies Less Boring? Share Your Recipes!

Options

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Kale should be steamed for the best nutrition, per the Mayo Clinic. It has a lot of nutrients that are good for the immune system. Boiling reduces the nutrients. Same with collards and other leafy greens.

I stir-fry chopped carrots, onions, tomatoes, and other vegetables with lentils (1 cup of lentils has the protein of 3 eggs) in a little olive oil and add spice from the McCormick Perfect Pinch line (garlic-herb, lemon-pepper, Cajun, Caribbean Jerk, etc). Those spices have a lot of varieties, some of which are no MSG, no salt. You can also add a little Tamari or shoyu soy sauce, but that has a lot of sodium.
  • sheltap
    sheltap Posts: 10
    Options
    Cut up zucchini, onions, tomatoes, throw in some chick peas, spices and a little cheese and bake int he oven till the zucchini is soft.... its amazing!!!!
  • nm_davy
    nm_davy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put hot green chile, diced onions, and garlic and heat in olive oil until onions are translucent. While I am doing that, I put broccoli crowns, squash, and sweet peppers in a pressure cooker, and steam them. I then put the broccoli crowns, squash, and sweet peppers in with the chile, onions, and garlic, and simmer/stir. I finish by topping with a parmesean/romano blend and ground pepper.

Pretty tasty, very filling, and quick. Done in less than 10 minutes, start to finish.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm getting bored with eating the same old vegetables. Mostly I cook kale, broccoli, spinach, and stringed beans. I would love to try asparagus, zucchini, and maybe even egg plants (these options still kind of scare me, but I'm trying to be adventurous). I need to add some variety and add some spice to my life. :-) Please share how you cook your vegetables including sauces and or seasonings you use. Help! :sad:

Do you like (or can you have) cheese? A family favorite here is a little of several different veggies (for example: potatoes, onions, broccoli, cauliflower). Wash, trim, and cut as needed. Steam till fork-tender. Place some of each on a microwave-safe plate, dot with butter and top with slices of cheese (we've used Velveeta, but experiment a little). Place in microwave on high power till cheese melts.
  • SomeWhatTwisted
    Options
    Bump
  • fitbulky
    Options
    this recipe tastes yummy

make a paste of green chilly,coriander,tamarind,mint leaves,salt & a pinch of sweetner.add the paste to the mashed veggies.shape the veggies into cutlets.dip the cutlet in egg mixed with salt & pepper ,roll it in oats and grill it till it turns brown.

make use of the paste abundantly for better taste,serve hot with sauce
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Tonight I topped black beans with a chopped tomato, a big handful of parsley leaves, and a few slivered scallions, seasoned with salt, smoked paprika, and little white vinegar, and topped it with a generous amount of sour cream, because the container had been open for a while and the sides of the contained (above the sour cream I actually ate, which was covered with wax paper) was starting to grow an interesting pink culture of some sort, so I wanted to finish it off before the science experiment took over:laugh: It was wonderful, and probably my last good fresh tomato dish until next summer.

Now it's time (in the northern hemisphere) to start eating winter squash, beets, brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, turnips, sweet potatoes...mmmm. They all take well to roasting. I also do a lot of one-pot dishes in winter. All kinds of veggies can go into soups, stews, and curries. I've got leftover peantbutter-coconut milk curry in the refrigerator right now, filled with shallots, parsley, spring onions, mint, and chick peas (yes, beans are a vegetable) (as well as peanuts, cashews, tofu skin, and a little beef to punch up the protein). Winter is also a good time for baked dishes (casseroles), including savory pies, stratas, and baked pasta dishes, that can be filled with all manner of vegetables.

Don't be scared of eggplant. It's so versatile (plain grilled or broiled until smoky with a little olive oil and any herbs you like; eggplant parmesan -- I do a nonbreaded version; yushang eggplant (in garlic sauce); baba ghanoush; broiled or grilled in thin planks and layered with cooked summer squash, drained fresh tomatoes, cooked onions, roasted peppers or whatever takes your fancy, with an herbed cream cheese or Greek yogurt spread between the layers, in a loaf pan, compressed with a weight on top for a few hours in the refrigerator, and unmold if you like -- if you're going to unmold it you might want to put a couple whole sprigs of whatever herbs you're using on the bottom before you start laying the veggies and cream cheese/yogurt). Just be careful however you cook eggplant not to give it too much oil, because it will soak it up like a sponge (even if you're not worried about the fat and extra calories, it will soak up so much that it starts to taste like oil).

Edited to correct list of curry ingredients.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try just a little bit of maple syrup in with veggies when you roast them. you don't need much for caramelish deliciousness!
  • rachjenn
    Options
    How do you cook your veg? I've recently gotten bored so found different ways to cook. For example I now roast my veggies then sprinkle either salt/pepper, or spices on.

I make lots of soups out of veggies now - currently eating brocolli & cheese! Low carb, lovely.
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This sounds yummy!
  • KatieWH
    KatieWH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for your tasty ideas. I have only been boiling my veggies and sometimes steaming them. No wonder my tastebuds got bored. I am excited about trying some of your ideas. Asparagus is a popular one.

More ideas still welcomed. :wink:
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just put green Tabasco sauce on everything. Zero calories and adds a ton of flavor. My favorite!
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried out broccoli, cauliflower, capers and lemon juice... turned out good! I also love artichokes, and baking lightly breaded zucchini chips!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I find simple on veg to have some great flavor ..

Asparagus: I coat it with a little olive oil and balsamic, and usually have some grilling along side whichever meat I'm grilling. When it comes off the grill, I hit it with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon.

Green Beans: Steamed and then hit with Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and a squeeze of lemon ..

Any steamed veg can be elevated with oil, acid, and seasoning
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    With Asparagus, I put on a cookie sheet, drizzle with a little Olive oil, sea salt/or kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper. I love almost all veggies cooked like this. I don't use plain table salt/pepper at all. You can also add grated parm cheese and/or minced garlic or garlic powder. I cook in the oven at around 350-375 until the veggies aren't soft but not completely crunchy. We like them in the middle.

I cook almost all and any veggie this way. Our favorite is to cut up a yellow squash, zucchini, yellow or purple onion, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, asparagus, even green beans along with turkey smoked sausage and season as above and roast in the oven. You can omit the sausage and just have the veggies and eat it with various meals, or add the sausage and eat with a bit of brown rice for a meal.

Carrots, onion, butternut squash is a good combo as well.
  • JaneGS93
    Options
    I like to do Singapore cauliflower! I learned this one from my aunt. Cut a big head of cauliflower into florets and put a bit of olive oil on them. Just enough to coat really. Also, if you are able to get Penzey's they make a salt free Singapore seasoning in a bottle. If that isn't an option though, curry power works great as an alternative. Won't be as spicy I don't think though. Anyway, put them on a backing sheet and roast them until done, 30-40 min depending on the eat. We do around 350 F at my house and go until we can pierce them with a fork with no resistance. Then just serve it up. It's a great change to just a head of steamed cauliflower.

Also, a mix of onion, carrot and beets is pretty tasty as well, just olive oil salt and pepper for that one, same treatment as the first though, When cutting, make sure all the pieces are nice and even, just so you don't have one veggie cooked all the way and the other still too hard. A warning though, beets like this stain like crazy! Not a side dish for a white shirt dinner! :laugh:
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried out broccoli, cauliflower, capers and lemon juice... turned out good! I also love artichokes, and baking lightly breaded zucchini chips!

How do you make your zucchini chips? I'd love to know!
  • JaneGS93
    Options
    How do you make your zucchini chips? I'd love to know!

It's pretty easy, just depends on the chip type you are looking for! Some people think of it as a 1/4 inch thick slice dipped in an egg wash and them some bread crumbs and baked. Other's believe in baking very very thin slices at a low temp in the over to get a crunchy potato chip like bite. There are plenty of recipes all over the internet! Check out pinterest, they have a whole board dedicated to the plant I think! :laugh: