Making Your Veggies Less Boring? Share Your Recipes!

Options

Replies

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    bump for all these great ideas!
  • AliGrn
    AliGrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's my latest obsession:
    I tweaked "Granny's Italian Zucchini Pie" from allrecipes.com

One large sweet onion chopped
    4 zucchini sliced thin
    2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
    2 cups 2% mozzarella
    2TBSP yellow mustard
    1 can reduced fat crescent rolls (optional)

Saute zucchini and onion in pan with 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano until soft. I don't add butter, just a little pam and water and cover. Let cool down some.
    Beat the 2 eggs, fold in cheese, then fold in cooled zucchini mixture.
    Unroll dough in 9 X 13 baking dish. Spread mustard on top of dough. Top with zucchini mixture.
    Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes.

I eat this for any meal and it is yummy!
    It's about 150 cal per 1/8th of the dish (without the dough) which is a good sized portion.
    Enjoy!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried out broccoli, cauliflower, capers and lemon juice... turned out good! I also love artichokes, and baking lightly breaded zucchini chips!

How do you make your zucchini chips? I'd love to know!

Me too! How do you make them?
  • Songbirdcw
    Options
    Here's my latest obsession:
    I tweaked "Granny's Italian Zucchini Pie" from allrecipes.com

One large sweet onion chopped
    4 zucchini sliced thin
    2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
    2 cups 2% mozzarella
    2TBSP yellow mustard
    1 can reduced fat crescent rolls (optional)

Saute zucchini and onion in pan with 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano until soft. I don't add butter, just a little pam and water and cover. Let cool down some.
    Beat the 2 eggs, fold in cheese, then fold in cooled zucchini mixture.
    Unroll dough in 9 X 13 baking dish. Spread mustard on top of dough. Top with zucchini mixture.
    Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes.

I eat this for any meal and it is yummy!
    It's about 150 cal per 1/8th of the dish (without the dough) which is a good sized portion.
    Enjoy!

This sounds delish and simple to make! Thanks for sharing.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    generally spices can do wonders.

i love to sautee spinach and mushrooms with olive oil garlic and oregano. toss and little ricotta cheese with it, maybe a spoonful of marinara sauce and delish.

zucchini is good cooked up with some either ground beef, turkey or meatless grounds. season with garlic oregano and onion powder, mix in marinara sauce and cheese and serve over pasta, couscous, quinoa, etc.

grilled vegetables are always good too

eggplant parm is awesome, you can bake the eggplant slices, then top with ricotta, marinara and shredded mozzarella bake again until cheese melts, can eat plain or on a sandwich/roll.

eggplant curry is good too, google a recipe. also eggplant diced with mushrooms and onions and sauteed, then tossed with pasta, parmesan cheese and spices and olive oil.

spaghetti squash is really good too, mix cheese and milk with it and make a gooey cheesy spaghetti squash bake, or can make a bake with spaghetti squash ricotta parmesan mozzarella and marinara sauce or with a different sauce like pesto or white sauce.

asparagus is good grilled, or in sushi bowls (cook rice, then add asparagus, edamame, salmon if you like, crumbled nori sheets, avocado, cucumber and drizzle with soy sauce or can make a ginger sauce for it).
  • Songbirdcw
    Options
    BUMP
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Made a delicious salad last weekend with fall root vegetables!

Thinly slice (use mandolin if you have one) 8 tiny purple potatoes, 3 beets, 1 rutabaga, 1 large carrot into thin circles.
    Spray with cooking spray or olive oil and sea salt, roast on 400 for about 25-20 minutes or until potatoes are crispy.

Meanwhile, roast whole head of garlic (chop off very top so you can see the cloves, pour 1 tbsp. of olive oil on it, wrap in tin foil, roast at about 375 for 30 minutes or until soft and sweetly fragrant. Puree garlic cloves in blender with 1/4 cup balsamic, 2 tsp sugar or stevia, 1/8 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp. lemon juice.

Let veggies cool, serve on top of favorite salad green.

Top with freshly shaved parmesan and roasted garlic dressing.

DELICIOUS!
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Chopped bacon with any vegetable
    Cook them in bacon fat
    Wrap them up in bacon

lol of course
  • mezzodiva10
    mezzodiva10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love mixing a variety together with a low sodium soy sauce and a lean protein to make a stir fry. It's delicious, quick, and it makes a whole meal instead of just a side dish.

You can't go wrong with steaming an artichoke and just a bit of spray butter. A great and filling snack! Just be sure you don't eat the hairs around the heart. Yuck!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Bacon

Cook them in bacon fat
    Wrap them up in bacon

lol of course

YES TO BACON!

chop brussel sprouts in half, wrap in bacon, skewer with toothpick, bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until bacon is crispy and Brussels are full of bacon infused fattiness and den EAT EM! :)
  • JaneGS93
    Options
    Bacon

Cook them in bacon fat
    Wrap them up in bacon

lol of course

YES TO BACON!

chop brussel sprouts in half, wrap in bacon, skewer with toothpick, bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until bacon is crispy and Brussels are full of bacon infused fattiness and den EAT EM! :)

Ah Bacon, the only fatty meat that can get away with being on a fitness website lol. I love it myself, I have to say you should watch for how much fat you use is all. Another super yum thing to do with your bacon is to use it to saute your veggies, works wonders on mushrooms as well!
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!!

Heat a little bit of olive oil in a fry pan, cut sprouts in half and add to the pan. Then add a handful of fresh (or frozen) cranberries, and some pecans. Then a splash of balsamic vinegar. If you have a lemon, squeeze half a lemon in there. Also if you need extra calories, it is really good with some shredded parmesan. Cook until they are soft but still have a bit of a crunch. All this should take about 10 minutes.
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Also this recipe: (taken from here: http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/sriracha-roasted-cauliflower/)

Sriracha Roasted Cauliflower
    YIELD: SERVES 4TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN

ingredients:
    1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce, homemade or regular
    1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds / 910g), cut into 3⁄4-inch (2-cm) florets
    chopped cilantro, for garnish

directions:
    Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a sheet pan or line it with parchment paper.
    In a large bowl, combine the oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and sriracha sauce. Whisk well.
    Gently add the cauliflower to the bowl and coat with the marinade.
    Arrange the cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Turn the cauliflower over and roast for another 10 minutes, or until tender.
    Garnish with the cilantro and serve.

RECIPE SOURCE: WHITEONRICECOUPLE.COM.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest vegetable fan, I'll admit. What motivates me to eat them is if I sautee them or I roast them! For both there's olive oil and garlic, but then when I roast, I also use salt, pepper, rosemary, even oregano and/or basil. Whatever I feel like using!
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    eatingwell.com is my favorite place to look for different ways to cook veg. I do a lot of soups, stews, tagines, curries-things like that.

I second this. Eating Well changed my cooking. I do a lot of Thai and Chinese style veggies - steamed and a little liquid aminos dashed on top, or stir fried until just barely cooked with some garlic and ginger. There's also nutritional yeast if you want a cheesy flavor without the calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Halve brussel sprouts

toss with duck fat, salt, pepper

Roast at 450

finish with some lardons and vin cotto
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm boring steamed veggies w/ vinegar and butter makes me happy
    [/qu

I'm even more boring...I like my veggies raw. Asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower, snap peas, almost any veg except I cook squash and brussel sprouts.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    When food gets boring, I throw it in a blender and make a smoothie. No more boring.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Great ideas thanks!
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I throw assorted veggies (zucchini, peppers, onions) into a nonstick pan with a little water and minced garlic - roll up in a whole grain tortilla for an awesome, quick veggie fajita.

I also.make a lot of veggie.soups, pastas, casseroles and loafs =)