Why are so many people waiting to add lifting?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem like there are a ton of people on MFP who are waiting until they are "almost" to their weight goal before they start lifting weights? I thought the more muscle you have the better you drop the fat? I personally don't care the # on my scale as long as I become leaner, and healthier.
    Am I viewing something wrong?

Yes, I believe you are. Unless they're asking you for your opinion, why do you care?

Yes you believe I am what? Viewing it wrong? If so elaborate.

As far as "Why do I care?" If I can gain more knowledge through my peers who are trying to reach similar goals as I. I find insight from another point of view. Would it not behoove me to do so? In the same aspect if I can pass along my knowledge, and help someone else would that not behoove me as well? I want to have success for myself, and for others. What I don't want, or need is negativity from people who are very obviously looking to just be an *kitten*.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    OP ignore the jealous haters! Keep on doing you, girl. :heart:

jealous of what, exactly?

Was wondering the same thing. It seems that everyone has given their opinion and no one has said anything negative to the OP. I'm confused.

Do you even MFP?

gold
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Personally I am waiting because of the herniated vertebrae in my neck. No lifting for 6 months after surgery (fusion) and even then lifting is going to be limited for the rest of my life.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Personally, I needed to get my calories under control before changing anything at all. Also vanity - wanted to look halfway reasonable in gym gear.
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    I'm very mad at myself for waiting for so long... I did it because of the damn scale! It would always go up when I incorporated any kind of weights. But now I find that I lose easier because of lifting.
  • cbanczak
    Options
    @TashaRock,
    You aren't a moron. I think that is probably why most people wait. If you try to make too many changes at once it is easy to burn out and give up. I've heard it recommended that one small change--something really easy (like walking 3x a week for at least 20 min), is better than an intense goal (like running an hour 5x per week). When you accomplish the easy goal, you feel good, and are more likely to push yourself. =) I've come to believe one step at a time is the best way to sustainable change.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    i've been doing straight cardio for a whole year (loss some weight too) before deciding to start "heavy lifting" ....i think it was natural progression and becoming more educated about what my body can do ! as fitness and TYRING to eat better became a bigger part of my thoughts - you start to read and research what others are doing - and they all lead back to LIFTING ....i'm no where near my goals and figured lifting and less cardio couldn't hurt , so why not give it a try !!
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    I started lifting right away (though I don't generally log it as it gives me no cals to eat back).

I think most people don't because it is hard. And it is a chore. At first anyway.

The first few times, I forgot to breathe a little too often and ended up with a migraine for the rest of the day.

It is definitely better now. I am even starting to look forward to it...A little.

Getting started is rough though. People tend to find cardiovascular to be easier, and generally opt for it first: especially if on a time crunch.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Because lifting is hard. People are lazy, and like to make excuses. It's easy to jump on the elliptical or the treadmill. It takes at least a little research, practice and money to lift though.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    I'm very mad at myself for waiting for so long... I did it because of the damn scale! It would always go up when I incorporated any kind of weights. But now I find that I lose easier because of lifting.

Ha! Yes, I "gain" up to 4 lbs every time I lift, and then pee it out on rest days. (Plus some)
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    My excuse (and it is an excuse rather than a reason) is one I know many of you will think is a stupid one. I'm too self-conscious to go back to the free weight area because I don't know what I'm doing. I won't be comfortable doing anything just by reading it from a book because I'm sure I'll do it wrong, and I can't afford a trainer to show me how, nor do I know anybody else who lifts that I can learn from (and I'm just not the type to go up to someone I don't know and say, "Hey, will you show me how to do this?"). So... for now, I do cardio to burn calories and I do BodyPump (which MFP counts as cardio), but that is as close as I get to lifting at the moment.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    OP it could be that not everybody wants to do lifting.

This ^^^^ It just isn't my thing. Nothing wrong with it .. just not for me.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    For me it's more of an issue of I'm living in a country where there is a major language barrier between me and the locals. Some of them do speak English but it's not perfect. At the beginning of working out I just wasn't ready for advice. Now, it's more of the language barrier that prevents me. If I'm ever back in an English speaking country maybe I'll get some personal training or something so I can get enough basic knowledge that when I do it where I'm living the language barrier will be a bit less.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the "getting my calories under control" before lifting weights.... how does that even connect?
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they see it as something they "have to do" rather than "want to do", so they leave it until late.

If they maybe realised there is more than one way to build muscle, define shape and gain strength, then maybe more people would take it up earlier.

Weights are great for those who want to use them, but it's not all about weights.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the "getting my calories under control" before lifting weights.... how does that even connect?

I think what people mean when they say this, is that they have a tough time sticking to an alotted amount of calories, and even if they know, they can eat way more doing lifting, they also know it will give them the hungries, and they are not yet ready mentally to have the hungries and not stuff their faces full of everything in sight.

I am ok with it but I understand the view, when I used to get what I assumed was low blood sugar - feeling incredibly weak and hungry - I would immediately have something incredibly high in calories - a massive piece of chocolate for eg. - now I have a carrot or a banana and I know I am fine. So they believe they will be getting stronger but that the extra energy need is going to so bad it may bordeline lead to binging.
  • CAME1
    CAME1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I lost 2st before I started lifting, however, I wasn't 'waiting' for anything.

It took me some time to watch and listen and to educate myself on the benefits of lifting as opposed to cardio. Before MFP I wasn't really sure what it would entail, the changes it would make to my body and that I would enjoy it a damn sight more than cardio.

Maybe I took longer than others but that's just the way it was.
    <<<< This.
  • missashleigh92
    missashleigh92 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    the thing i hear from people that have this mentality is that when i use weights they ask me 'are you trying to get muscly and big?', obviously this isnt the case and i want to tone up as i lose weight in a healthy way. I think its true a lot of women especially believe they'll end up big and bulky like a body builder if they lift too much weight. i think it really is to do with being uneducated on the subject
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I think what people mean when they say this, is that they have a tough time sticking to an alotted amount of calories, and even if they know, they can eat way more doing lifting, they also know it will give them the hungries, and they are not yet ready mentally to have the hungries and not stuff their faces full of everything in sight.

I am ok with it but I understand the view, when I used to get what I assumed was low blood sugar - feeling incredibly weak and hungry - I would immediately have something incredibly high in calories - a massive piece of chocolate for eg. - now I have a carrot or a banana and I know I am fine. So they believe they will be getting stronger but that the extra energy need is going to so bad it may bordeline lead to binging.

Thank you for clearing that up, I guess that makes sense!