And females have success with a recomp?

Options
If yes, I'd love to hear your story. I'm toying with the idea of a recomp but there isn't much information available here about that stuff.

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Lots of notes in my diary on this over the past few months, you can check it out if you like since we're friends. I had to go from a slight deficit to a slight surplus -- or at least I chose to, rather than deload and be happy not making significant strength gains. I'm not seeing a real difference in bf% according to my scale and I don't really expect to, but I'm seeing more muscle definition everywhere, fitting my clothes better, and enjoying increases in one or more lifts with almost every workout... and it's only been a few months. I've been in maintenance since mid-June.
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've done a pretty good job lowering my body fat percentage. I eat at a very slight deficit (about -50 calories a day), aim for 100 grams of protein, do weight training 2 days a week and cardio 3 days. I also started eating slightly less carbs and staying away from any kind of white bread/pasta.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I did. You can read my story here, including lots of pictures.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088730-female-bulking-advice-needed

I'm now eating at a small surplus and gaining weight while keeping my body fat low. It's a slow, clean bulk in other words.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Also interested in this !
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My main focus for the winter months, when running outside has me limited due to weather and day light hours, is really lowering my body fat %.

I'm into my second week of Stronglifts, and so far it is going well. I'm maintaining my calories at 1920 which I believe fits as my TDEE. Obviously it is too early on to know if what I'm doing is going to give me the results I'm hoping for - a trimmer, tighter body.

Following something like Stronglifts, how often do you recommend updating measurements - monthly?

BarbellGirl, I read through your post about bulking and your progress and I am very impressed at your knowledge and success so far. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your success!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I recomped without realizing it by doing aerial arts for a few years. My lats, arms, back and core are much more muscular, and larger. My weight did fluctuate by 5 or so pounds, but none of that was on purpose. I'm now hoping to have the same results with my lower body. I may let myself naturally "bulk" like I do most winters but I'm not sure. Right now I'm still in a small cut until Thanksgiving. At that point I may let winter take its course while still lifting heavy. That would equate to about a 5 lb "bulk".
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In for more info on this too. Hope to cut about 5 more pounds and then start the recomp process after that. Have decided to give Stronglifts a try as soon as I get my weight set completed!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    'eh, not really, maybe sort of. For the last two years I've been going through periods of deficit (3-6 weeks) followed by periods of eating around or slightly over maintenance just due to lack of motivation and discipline. Still been lifting about twice a week though. The net results was about a 3 pound gain in two years. I think really, I just maintained my muscle and maybe gained some fat.

20127619_7863.jpg20127619_65.jpg
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Great topic - loving the question and responses. Thanks!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I recomped also - went from 105 pounds and probably 21% body fat to 110 pounds and 18% body fat. I did it over a period of about 3-4 months. I ate at maintenance (for me 1850-1900 calories), gluten free for the most part, and lifted heavy 4 times a week.

I still do the lifting 3-4 times a week, limited cardio (2x a week) and I am still 110 pounds, haven't fluctuated since late 2010 now. I am eating at maintenance or close to it (I go by a weekly overall average).
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have ... I've been eating at maintenance, and strength training (heavy weights and Pilates reformer) ... Plus HIIT sprintervals (which have helped me get my 5K time under 23:00) ... I've lost an inch off my waist (22.5 in now) (gained one in my calves, and my arms are no longer twigs ... well, they are, but they are well defines twigs ... I've always had shapely legs, because I run and dance ...) Oh, and I had to go down a band size, so I am now a 32 C instead of a 34 B ...) and gone from that "soft" thin look, to a tighter more define (but still thin ... I have a very petite frame, 5.5 in wrists and a 10.5 in neck ... 5'2 103-104 lbs) ... I took about 6 months ...

ETA: I went from 18% BF to 15% ...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I may have. My weight stayed basically the same and I went from a size 4 to a 00 and my waist went from 24 inches to 22 inches. My weight stays the same, but I see continual improvement in my fitness. I am just barely 5'2", around 100 pounds, and I eat an average of 1900 a day (with often going up to 2200). My bf% is around 18-19%. I lift weights 3-4 times a week usually, but sometimes 2 times a week when I am busy. I also dance, play with my kids, walk and lead a generally active and energetic life. At some point I will probably do a bulk. I never knew about bulking, but still did it occasionally because it seemed like a good idea to occasionally eat a lot for a few months to fuel my fitness. Actually I generally have always eaten a lot. I have never needed to do a traditional bulk, so far. I'm happy with my haphazard progress. It took me 6 months as well.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    BUMP for more info.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight (fat) but I think I'm recomping instead (not complaining). I've been weight training but not counting my calories. I have no idea, calorie-wise, if I'm over, under or at maintenance. For the past year, I've stayed within 3 pounds, give or take, of 150 but I've lost two pant sizes. Doesn't seem possible, but...
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    in
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    All of these responses so far as so great to hear! I love that so many of you have had success with recomp, intentional or not. I've been in a cutting stage since January basically, and recently started going through a binge/restrict cycle due to lack of focus on a goal. I think I will for sure just focus on recomp now, and if needed do another cut before Summer.

I look forward to seeing more lovely ladies post their successes. :)
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    'eh, not really, maybe sort of. For the last two years I've been going through periods of deficit (3-6 weeks) followed by periods of eating around or slightly over maintenance just due to lack of motivation and discipline. Still been lifting about twice a week though. The net results was about a 3 pound gain in two years. I think really, I just maintained my muscle and maybe gained some fat.

20127619_7863.jpg20127619_65.jpg

I see a difference, definitely. Your tummy and legs look much tighter.
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I am looking for! In for the thread
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :)