DIARY HELP - MFP pros please help

Options
Hi,
Can anyone look at my diary for me and tell me if I am doing it right and what I can do to improve? I haven't lost any weight since starting. 5'6, 135, exercise 3-5 moderate PW

Replies

• ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi Whissy, I'm not a MFP pro, but I had a look at your diary anyway. It actually looks pretty good (I only went back about 1,5 week). My thought was, are you sure you're measuring everything precisely? Underestimating might be a reason you're not losing any weigth. Also, how long have you been consistent in your daily goal? And keep in mind it's a lot harder to lose weight when you're already quite thin (you look quite thin already).

Hope some people can help you out here! If you keep stuck, maybe lower your cal's with 100 and see how that goes for 2-3 months.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to dig into your diary or your numbers, but at first glance I would guess under estimating calories and overestimating calories burned. Do you use a food scale? Are you using the MFP data base for calories burned? YouR diary looks fine from a quick glance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you only have 1lb to lose according to your ticker, so i presume you are wanting to reduce your bodyfat % as opposed to actually losing weight?

to do this you just need a small deficit (0.5lb per week) and a good strength/resistance training routine. fat loss when you are at a healthy weight is really slow going, and you are better off measuring/taking pictures for progress rather than weighing. also, make sure you are eating plenty of protein.
  • Whissy
    Whissy Posts: 40
    Options
    I dont use the ticker because i havent actually lost any weight, i measure everything and i use a polar HRM and always round it DOWN from what it's saying

I was wondering if I am netting too low..
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell you are not eating back your exercise calories? Is your calorie intake set by MFP or TDEE? If it is TDEE method then you aren't eating to your goal and if it is by MFP, I believe you should eat some back. I could be off base :)

I found out last year the hard way on not eating them back :( Was not good for me...
  • Whissy
    Options
    No i dont eat them back - or a small portion if i HAVE to. Today is the first day of making an attempt to eat over 1600 cals and psychologically (damn spelling) i am struggling with the idea of eating 'that much' food ...i have low energy levels..but i love to workout
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    No i dont eat them back - or a small portion if i HAVE to. Today is the first day of making an attempt to eat over 1600 cals and psychologically (damn spelling) i am struggling with the idea of eating 'that much' food ...i have low energy levels..but i love to workout

set mfp to lose 0.5lb per week and eat back all your cals... 1600 isnt 'that much' once you get used to it... just make peanut butter your friend if you're struggling!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You didn't log really anything on saturday so I am assuming you did something you couldn't log correctly.. So you need to start logging accurately (even if its not good) and measure everything correctly (digital scale).
    Just remember depending on your size and deficit, 1 cheat day maybe enough to really eat away at your weekly deficit.
  • Whissy
    Options

set mfp to lose 0.5lb per week and eat back all your cals... 1600 isnt 'that much' once you get used to it... just make peanut butter your friend if you're struggling!

Ha! I hear that! I eat it off a spoon if i need to :)
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    Options
    Yeah I'd just say make sure you're logging everything accurately, and a -400-500 calorie deficit should be fine, just weigh yourself each week and if you aren't losing weight maybe lower your calories a little more.. by no means do I means starve yourself.. also 3-5 hours isn't a great deal of cardio.
  • Whissy
    Options
    Yeah I'd just say make sure you're logging everything accurately, and a -400-500 calorie deficit should be fine, just weigh yourself each week and if you aren't losing weight maybe lower your calories a little more.. by no means do I means starve yourself.. also 3-5 hours isn't a great deal of cardio.

I feel weak as it is - 3-5 times a week working out but cardio ranges in terms of time, could be 60 mins could be more - but within that week there is 90 mins of weights
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    At 5'6" and 135 lbs you are already at a good weight. Perhaps you should rethink your goals and whether they are unrealistic and possibly unhealthy. I say this knowing perfectly well that I don't know you and don't know your body...
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I feel weak as it is

EAT woman, EAT!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    first thing I notice is that you said you are 5'6 and currently 135 lbs.
    Exactly what is your goal weight? I am 5'2 and I know that 135 is the top of my healthy weight range, and my current goal weight.
    I'm guessing at 5'6, 135 lbs would be a pretty low weight to begin with, so I'm curious what your goal weight is, and guessing that you have VERY little to lose at all, which would partially explain why you aren't losing weight.

Quickly looking through your diary, it appears that you are only netting around 1400 or 1500 calories after exercising. Assuming that everything isn't 100% accurate, it is very possible you aren't netting enough calories to actually lose weight.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    At 5'6" and 135 lbs you are already at a good weight. Perhaps you should rethink your goals and whether they are unrealistic and possibly unhealthy. I say this knowing perfectly well that I don't know you and don't know your body...

I agree... I am almost 5'8 (couldn't just give me that 1/4 inch lol) and with strength training I bet I will be lucky to get below 145 ... :) As long as I look good to myself then I don't care about the scale.

I took the batteries out of my bathroom scale and stick with measuring. I will weigh myself to keep track but it won't control me... I set mine up to eat 1710 calories..regardless (strength/cardio mix 5 days a week) and that is what I will do. If it doesn't work, then I will adjust it as needed..

I believe you would benefit better body wise from just lifting... your weight is fine :)
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    Options

I feel weak as it is - 3-5 times a week working out but cardio ranges in terms of time, could be 60 mins could be more - but within that week there is 90 mins of weights

Sounds good, remember you're only 135lbs, so losing weight will be more difficult as you don't really have much to lose, just toning? When you get down to a low percentage of B/F it's always more difficult to get even lower..
  • Whissy
    Options

I feel weak as it is

EAT woman, EAT!

E.g : eating back my exercise calories so my NET Is higher than before (NET would be 1287 today for example compared to NET 940 monday) ???
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary....Try to eat more protein and workout 3-4 times a week for 45mins. Eat every two hours between meals. Make sure you log accurately and measure all your foods. Also, try to add strength in your workout.

Good Luck
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I feel weak as it is

EAT woman, EAT!

E.g : eating back my exercise calories so my NET Is higher than before (NET would be 1287 today for example compared to NET 940 monday) ???

eat so you dont feel ill and arent starving your body...
  • Whissy
    Options
    first thing I notice is that you said you are 5'6 and currently 135 lbs.
    Exactly what is your goal weight? I am 5'2 and I know that 135 is the top of my healthy weight range, and my current goal weight.
    I'm guessing at 5'6, 135 lbs would be a pretty low weight to begin with, so I'm curious what your goal weight is, and guessing that you have VERY little to lose at all, which would partially explain why you aren't losing weight.

Quickly looking through your diary, it appears that you are only netting around 1400 or 1500 calories after exercising. Assuming that everything isn't 100% accurate, it is very possible you aren't netting enough calories to actually lose weight.

A year ago I was 126lbs, lowest i have ever been is 122lbs. I would like to be 126 again