Toxins

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

So how does a "cleanse" remove the chemicals from second-hand smoke from your body?

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

That doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

The issue is that people keep saying we have lots of "toxins" in our bodies that only fruit & veggie cleanse or a water fast or some sort of pills will get rid of. These things that we ingest obviously do things to our digestive systems. I am wondering how that relates to your claim of inhaled chemicals from second-hand smoke. I do agree that second-hand smoke is harmful and is an issue. I don't see how only eating fruit for 3 days fixes that.
  • LoraF83

So how does a "cleanse" remove the chemicals from second-hand smoke from your body?

25 mph. Now what does that have to do with toxins?

About as much as dietary cleanses. OP asked for toxins to be concerned about that the body doesn't get rid of naturally, so I provided toxins. OP wants to talk about cleanses instead, so Monty Python.

Actually, the OP says:
    What chemical compounds are building up in our internal organs that we need to cleanse?

and
    Can someone, anyone, please name the "toxins" that we all need to be cleaning from our body?

So yes, I am asking about toxins that are affected by the cleanses that are so often suggested and discussed. I'm sorry for your confusion.
  • alyssajayds40
    alyssajayds40 Posts: 17 Member
    I don't think so many moliculs and things that make a toxin have names that I know of right off the top of my head of more like a type like biotoxins and enviormental toxins.

Edited because I can't spell today.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    About as much as dietary cleanses. OP asked for toxins to be concerned about that the body doesn't get rid of naturally, so I provided toxins. OP wants to talk about cleanses instead, so Monty Python.

From the OP:
    What chemical compounds are building up in our internal organs that we need to cleanse? What is going on in there that our kidneys, liver, and digestive system can't handle?
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Someone once (who apparently was a personal trainer and tossed herself out there as a nutrition expert) told me sodium ...

Now, obviously, if you have certain medical conditions or seriously overdo it, sodium can be harmful. But it's also a necessary electrolyte that we'd die without.

But pure sodium explodes in water--clearly this is harmful and can only be prevented through cleanses.

natrium.gif
    Is that why I keep blowing up???

Explains what happens when I have to go to the bathroom.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    I'm totally in for this.

The only people who need to cleanse the "toxins" in their system are those that are either on extremely dangerous illegal substances, or extremely dangerous medication (people who need to take Lithium, for example). But most of the time those are in much higher doses, which is what causes the build up.

So unless you are a bipolar person on cocaine, you probably don't need to do a detox.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I'm totally in for this.

The only people who need to cleanse the "toxins" in their system are those that are either on extremely dangerous illegal substances, or extremely dangerous medication (people who need to take Lithium, for example). But most of the time those are in much higher doses, which is what causes the build up.

So unless you are a bipolar person on cocaine, you probably don't need to do a detox.

pffft those cleanses dont even work one still comes out dirty on the piss test
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

You don't know me. You don't know my life.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    What chemical compounds are building up in our internal organs that we need to cleanse? What is going on in there that our kidneys, liver, and digestive system can't handle?
    [/quote]

In my case .. Iron. Iron that I can not cleanse is building up in my organs. If I'm not careful it will damage my liver and pancreas, and give me diabeetus.

Alas, the only therapy is phlebotomy, as there's no cleanse that can help.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I don't think so many moliculs and things that make a toxin have names that I know of right off the top of my head of more like a type like biotoxins and enviormental toxins.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB4jmaXNeAawDnIAvdujXZmVuC3Los0OdzzK5LCSCnOzJnUiAT
  • LoraF83

[/quote]
    In my case .. Iron. Iron that I can not cleanse is building up in my organs. If I'm not careful it will damage my liver and pancreas, and give me diabeetus.

So basically, too much iron and we're screwed but there's nothing we can do about it?

Ok, good to know.

But I think iron would be a difficult thing to overdose on. I struggle to keep my iron levels in my diet high enough to meet my needs.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member

25 mph. Now what does that have to do with toxins?

GAAAAAAAA, i hate it when i miss it. my bad.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I'm totally in for this.

pffft those cleanses dont even work one still comes out dirty on the piss test

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This wins the internet for the day!
  • LoraF83

That does not list the "toxins" that need to be cleansed.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

[/quote]

Bet youre the poster child for blood donation
  • alyssajayds40
    alyssajayds40 Posts: 17 Member

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB4jmaXNeAawDnIAvdujXZmVuC3Los0OdzzK5LCSCnOzJnUiAT

I would simplify it for you but I don’t have the time for that much information exchange right now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Juice cleanse. What is it about this phrase that it causes so many panties to immediately wad?
  • LoraF83
    Juice cleanse. What is it about this phrase that it causes so many panties to immediately wad?

Actually, it was 'toxins" that wadded my panties.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

So basically, too much iron and we're screwed but there's nothing we can do about it?

Ok, good to know.

But I think iron would be a difficult thing to overdose on. I struggle to keep my iron levels in my diet high enough to meet my needs.
    [/quote]

In my case, I have hemochromatosis. It's a genetic defect that makes me absorb up to 5x more iron from food than normal people. Most people can absorb 3-5% of the iron they eat. I can absorb upwards of 20%. Normal serum ferritin levels are 50-200 (If I remember correctly). Mine have been as high as 800. The problem is that the spare iron gets deposited mainly in the liver and pancreas, and too much can shut them down.

The only therapy is to remove a pint of blood once a week, until the levels go down. Needless to say, I try to eat to avoid that.

But once I'm there .. there's not a cleanse in the world that can help.