Any other hourglass shaped woman?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I got a dress today and looking at the picture (my profile) I just want to cry. I hate my hips so much, but really there isn't much for me to lose there anymore (maybe one inch each side?)... it's just my genetics.

For other hourglass shapes out there, what kind of dress do you wear that doesn't look too awful?

Replies

• alyssajayds40
    alyssajayds40 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personaly love ModCloth's dresses. They have a veriety of dresses to compliment your body shape. I alwasy go for the dresses that flair after the waistline and hand off my hips not on them. Like this one;

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/teal-away-dress-in-check

http://www.modcloth.com/
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have the hips and the booty, plus big thighs... I am loving the maxi dresses and skirts... Always very flowy dresses. You might like something that is fitted on the top and once it gets to your hips, flows outwards. Possibly pleats and layers also help.
  • nini2_5
    nini2_5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I got a dress today and looking at the picture (my profile) I just want to cry. I hate my hips so much, but really there isn't much for me to lose there anymore (maybe one inch each side?)... it's just my genetics.

For other hourglass shapes out there, what kind of dress do you wear that doesn't look too awful?

These are the type of dress I wear that will flatter your waist and make your hips disappear

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/lady-love-song-dress-in-emerald-velvet
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    E Shakti, KiKi La Rue, Zulily - all sites that cater to women with curves!! embrace them, try out a bunch of styles and cuts and find what works for you!! My biggest fear when I get to goal is that I will be straight and rail-y. I work every day to keep my curves the healthy way - squats, leg press, dead lifts, etc.

Also, feel free to order a size or two above to make sure a dress fits in the hips and have it altered in the waist/arms!
  • shellsies93
    Options
    spanx is my best friend...my hips disappear and i can wear most dresses
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hips and a booty here - even at 5'11 and 147. My bone structure will always be curvy. At 190 (SW), I was just a larger curvy girl...

I was so surprised when a friend and I (new friend, wife of a guy at my BF's work) went shopping and she wore the same size jean at the Gap that I do, 28. But she carrys all her weight in her mid section and her top (no hips or booty to be had). Where I'm a size S shirt, even with 34DD's...She's also 140lbs at maybe 5'4 (so 7lbs under and 7" shorter than I). It's about where you store your fat I guess...

A-line skirts are my best friend. I always feel very bottom heavy (even if I'm really not) with a pencil skirt on. I typically don't have issues with pants, unless they have those darn pockets on the hips that slit on an angle and stick out (no matter if they fit everywhere else or not). I have a very short torso (compared to my 37" inseam) so I have to be careful with tucking in or belts, but other than that I've never really had issues with my shape.
  • lmojoallen
    lmojoallen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Seconds to the Mod Cloth dresses and what's really great is many real people post pictures of themselves in the clothes along w/ measurements so you can really see how they look on a body comparable to your own.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    It's not your body that sucks, it's that dress. Hour glass is the best shape so show it off. Get something tighter. That baggy thing makes you look heavier than you are.
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The dress in your profile pic isn't made for your body type.

I find that draped dresses work really well for me (I also have an hourglass shape), but in a more 'straight' shape. I like dresses that are empire waisted as well. My tummy is a problem area, and the tight bodice and flowing skirt hides that area I'm self conscious about.

Calvin Klein dresses always fit me to a T. They really know how to make a dress that fits a woman's body.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You can rock a pencil skirt with an hour glass figure.

Also, you look a bit like me pretty busty with a short waist and longish legs. I go for lower waisted stuff other wise I feel uncomfortable and look lumpy.

Baggy is not a good look. Well fitted is far more flattering, you want to show off your figure not hide it.

Finally because this will make such a difference, get a well fitting bra - go spend some money on your upholstery. When your boobs are right the rest of you will look 100% better. If I had to guess in that picture I would say your band size is too big and therefore not supporting the girls. Get measured, get some underwire and it will make all the difference (sorry don't mean to be rude but I can spot someone with the same problems as I have)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I haven't bought bras in a while, it's on my list of things to get soon. The dress does look better in real life, but still. Bleh.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

nqd2xf.jpg

Always opt for a size bigger, then get it altered for what you're garnering for ~ a comfort fit (drape/slightly loose) or a tailor-fitted (form-fitted/body-fitted) look/fall, where you want it for the one piece (dress) or the alternative, more fitted top with a comfort bottom, vice-versa, customised to accommodate your shoulder line, your breast line, your waistline, your hip line, your knee line and your ankle line depending on the length. *If you'll consider this option, kindly make certain you instruct the dressmaker/tailor well enough, so that s/he may make the alterations to suit your comfort-levels, your personal preferences, maintaining the integrity of the style of dress*

Additionally, with fitted dresses and whether one is shoulder to waist to hips hourglass or shoulder with bustline to waist to hips hourglass or simply, bustline to waist to hips hourglass, jackets and overcoats in the Chanel and St John cuts are Friendlies. Lanvin and Leger are another 2. They are good cheat, sure finds. You will find one piece you can work into your wardrobe, minimum. Leger is affordable for that quick no-fuss date or for that last minute cocktail dress. Perfect cheats for the hourglass. Just because a dress is fitted, does not qualify the dress or outfit as being purely for the rectangles. Safe ready-to-wear off-the-rack.

The real real affordable cheat for hourglass would be anything Maggy London. *My sister's just reminded me :laugh: Typical* In all my years, I never ever purchase any formal or dressy items for my wardrobe without involving my sister, so my advise to you is a 2nd set of eyes, who knows you*

Take the time to try things on before purchasing.

Good luck :flowerforyou:

ETA: sp
  • Francl27
    Options
    I should add though... I don't typically spend a lot in clothes. I have a cat, and that means I can't have nice things. And altering is something I pretty much never do really... I guess it sounds a bit silly when you spend $35 on a dress.

But something to keep in mind when I'm at my goal weight though.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Looks great to me. :-)
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    A few things with the dress:

1) it doesn't flatter you at all. find something more fitted
    2) with more fit you need a really good fitting bra, and spanx helps as well (for me anyway, I have huge hips and thighs)
    3) Try to find a pencil skirt with a great fitting top

My faves are maxi dress with a cute shrug, and pencil skirts with a fitted top (boots or heels too)

If you look at my profile, I have several pics in dresses/skirts
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I should add though... I don't typically spend a lot in clothes. I have a cat, and that means I can't have nice things. And altering is something I pretty much never do really... I guess it sounds a bit silly when you spend $35 on a dress.

But something to keep in mind when I'm at my goal weight though.

In that case, as you'd stated earlier, a brassiere is more important than finding new styles of dresses, which may suit your body type within the hourglass parameters. Using your profile pic as a guide, I have the following suggestions:

1 As stated, the brassiere.
    2 A body shaper to further define your waistline which is obviously hiding beneath the low bustline and the weight you're carrying around your hipline from having had your twins plus genetics.
    3 You need a control-top pair of knickers .
    4 Spanx (I agree with one of the above-posters)

All these suggestions should help you look great in anything you can afford. Have you considered shopping in Boutiques and Department Stores catering to the Latina Community? I purchase them for my casuals. They're cute with quality cuts, feminine and super super cheap. Oftentimes, some Designers shop at swap meets, relabel then resell at marked up prices. I know for certain that I'd purchased what i'd thought was a cute kimono styled blouse for$2 only to enter into Bergdorf and spot my blouse that I had on, on the rack with a humongous label, selling for $500. Cha-ching ~ I'd saved myself $498 + tax. But I do agree with many on here. Even if you go to more affordable stores, try it on but don't buy anything before addressing and prioritising #s 1 -> 4 or #s 1,2 & 4.

Your canvas needs to be taut. Before draping fabric on anything, what is beneath that, needs to be as close as possible to the real body model the outfit was fitted on. Deviate from that and anyone will look bad in any outfit. It's the gamble you make and the price you pay for buying off the rack.

If you know where to buy, even at the Swap Meet, you can get body-shapers. Oriental girls go wild in there, as do the Latinas and they have being feminine down to a Science. They know how to up a cheap dress.

ETA: add word
  • Francl27
    Options
    What kind of spanx do you all use? I'm a bit confused with all the types out there!

And where to get a good bra fitted?

I don't think there are any stores in the area catered to the Latina community... I'm in NJ.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    What kind of spanx do you all use? I'm a bit confused with all the types out there!

I don't think there are any stores in the area catered to the Latina community... I'm in NJ.

I do not use the spanx brand I use Catherine's Store brand I wear the high-waisted knee length
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

I do not use the spanx brand I use Catherine's Store brand I wear the high-waisted knee length

^ Agree with this suggestion@high waist knee length. It'll control everything you'll need controlled for you and if you get this particular one or one similar, you can do without the control top knickers.