Any other hourglass shaped woman?

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    And where to get a good bra fitted?

I don't think there are any stores in the area catered to the Latina community... I'm in NJ.

I don't and neither have I ever worn spanks for I disfavour layering over much with my undergarments (but my Mum did). She was part of the girdle to waist-cincher club :laugh: With undergarments, even a petticoat is pushing it for me. Tights in Winter ~ Gag.

There are sites you can go to online to fit yourself, however I would recommend you head for a Bridal Boutique or a Lingerie Boutique or better yet, the Lingerie Department at a Department store and request they measure you for your brassiere.

New Jersey. They wouldn't call it Latina, but moreso Colombian and Cuban. Years (yonkers) ago, an Aunt did take us there, when we'd only just arrived on the East Coast, to shop for clothing items we'd needed to ship back to the islands following a Hurricane or a Flood, enough to fill up a shipping container. Its exact location (I don't know), only that I remember being in the car for hours from Metuchen. Possibly 2 hours away.

There is one in Queens, which is a better one I think. It covers Asian (Oriental and Indian) and Brazilian, Argentinian and Spanish Fashion. The wonderful thing about this particular one in Queens, is that it is very much like an Expo (in China). You can even get fabrics (the luxury varieties which are worthy of Italy) there. Granted you're paying $15 per yard, which is still better than coughing up $100+ per yard. I sew (tailoring standards), so this is my thing ~ a hobby of sorts. I don't know if you remember that when Oscar De La Renta was heavily into his white eyelet Collection, I went there to choose my fabrics then designed my own, for me and my sister. The funny thing was, there were Ladies of Leisure (in Manhattan) who'd bought it off our bodies ~ right there. $10K for one eyelet ball skirt, for example. Cost to me $10.

The Swap Meets of Miami and the Outlet Stores in Miami, are simply out of this world ~ amazing; The choices. The dresses. The footwear. So feminine. (Where I'd opted to shop along the East Coast years ago).

You can do this! Look around! Once you're done and are ready with your basics, you'll look banging!:flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Try closeout stores (1/2 of 1/2 Name Brand Clothing, Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc). Try on ALL OF THE DRESSES until you find what flatters your figure best.

I don't know about you, but when I was larger I had a great handle on what worked for my figure. Now that I have a new figure somewhat, I have to relearn all of that stuff again. The old styles that flattered me in a size 22 do not work in a 16. I can't wear the same stuff to highlight my best features. At my heaviest (307) I felt like an hourglass with a big belly. Then for awhile around 230-250 lb I thought I was a pear. Now at 213, I see I really am an hourglass after all. I asked a couple of friends and my husband to tell me honestly if they thought my figure was apple, pear, or hourglass and every single one laughingly told me yes, hourglass 100%.

As for the cat being an issue - maybe don't wear your clothes at home. That's what I do. I strictly wear tees and shorts or yoga pants around the house and wash 'em regularly so it never matters if it gets cat hair or whatever on my clothes.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    At 5'2", and after 70lbs lost, 2 kids and hitting the big 4-5, I've got so much happening around the hip area that I won't even go dress shopping without the right foundation garments on! Must haves are:

1. Underwire bra (band snug, fits in a straight line parallel to the floor, wires lay flat against your breastbone between nicely separated girls - no gaps on the sides and no "top shelf" spillover of the cups)

2. Spanx - I have two kinds - high-waist, knee-length for fitted sheath-style dresses, and a high-waist, regular panty bottom for skirts that flare out from the waist. Bought both of them at Kohl's. You should be able to tuck the waist band under your bra to avoid a back/side roll between them if you have extra skin there.

One good thing about being short-waisted is that the spanx-style underwear + bra combo practically become a bodysuit! If they're matching colors, they look like I'm wearing a bathing suit (but MUCH easier when you have to pee)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Actually you look more like an apple to me - that might be the problem. The dress looks like its hanging from your tummy and off of your upper hip - something that is fitted at your actual waist and then flares out or floats away from your body would work on you.

Also, you need a better fitting bra to lift the girls up and show your waist - go to Nordstrom or a lingerie boutique (NOT VS) and get fitted, you'll be surprised at what a difference it makes!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Possible... I don't know! Just always assumed I was hourglass because I have large shoulders and pretty sizable breasts...

There's no store I can think of here that could fit me for a bra though, that's the problem I think... The department stores have non existent personnel and the only lingerie store is VS. I guess I could try a lot to see if I can find one that fits well...
  • Lindaspencer
    Lindaspencer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i agree with some of the above - this dress is making you look bigger than u probably are :(
    i know its our first instinct to hide it - but when doing that - we can make it look worse - bigger - frumpier - whatever adjectives you want to insert lol - just experiment more with styles and u will start to see what will work for you:)
    my favorite dresses are Adrianna papell - google it - they are beautiful and fit amazing with my big hips :)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Possible... I don't know! Just always assumed I was hourglass because I have large shoulders and pretty sizable breasts...

There's no store I can think of here that could fit me for a bra though, that's the problem I think... The department stores have non existent personnel and the only lingerie store is VS. I guess I could try a lot to see if I can find one that fits well...

Nope, that just means you aren't a pear, but you could be an apple too - your lower hips look much narrower than your shoulders.

NO do not go to VS, that will be a waste of your time. You're in NJ...I'm *sure* there are higher end department stores that can help, or if you're close to NYC there are a number of specialty lingerie boutiques there.
  • honoralexandria
    honoralexandria Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Girl, be happy! Most hourglasses will gain weight a bit more easily than other types, but we distribute it more evenly! It took me a while to be grateful for my figure.. it really hit home when several friends independently told me how much they wished they had my figure and how much money and effort they have to spend to emulate my figure. I am a bit overweight and really need to lose 10-15 lbs, but because my weight is evenly distributed (mostly, i have the big booty too), others consistently guess my weight at 10-15 pounds lighter than I actually am. (and they aren't flattering me either).

There are some things we can't wear, but plenty of styles and cuts that we absolutely rock. Flared skirts work really well, as well as A-lines and pencil skirts. Look for things that emphasize the waist and bust (yes, really!)

You can do a google search for "styles that flatter hour glass figure" to get some good information and ideas.

We can actually rock more svelte/body hugging items better than some other types. Stay away from items that "pouf" in the middle.

I changed my main profile picture to one that was taken last week for a halloween party. I am 150lbs (5'4") in this picture. That is a real corset, but it is not cinched tightly at all. I got comments all night and no one thought I was more than 135. My point is to 1. show that you have one of the most coveted body types and 2. show an example of what works) "

also, you don't look nearly as bad as you thnk you do. SERIOUSLY.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    " I have large shoulders and pretty sizable breasts... " <
    W00T!
  • blue04711
    blue04711 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the empire waist. I love showing off my hourglass figure as well. Girls gotta rock the curves!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I prefer something tight like a pencil skirt or the lbd in my pics
  • Dresses with side panels look good on any shape.
  • Curvalicious_Cat
    Options
    When I have a shape other than round (right now) I'm an hourglass too. A-line dresses always hide hips and booty or umpire waist dresses too but I personally think embrace your curves girl! Don't allow yourself to feel self-conscious or nervous about wearing something a little more form fitting. Most importantly don't listen to society that says we all need to be shaped like pencils and wear size 2. Woman were made to have curves and shape.♥ I hope you find the dress you're most comfortable in. Best of luck darling!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    When I have a shape other than round (right now) I'm an hourglass too. A-line dresses always hide hips and booty or umpire waist dresses too but I personally think embrace your curves girl! Don't allow yourself to feel self-conscious or nervous about wearing something a little more form fitting. Most importantly don't listen to society that says we all need to be shaped like pencils and wear size 2. Woman were made to have curves and shape.♥ I hope you find the dress you're most comfortable in. Best of luck darling!

The right accessories can be extremely flattering ~ earrings, a scarf, a pin. doesn't have to be expensive.
    If you're self conscious about your body, why not draw people's attention to your pretty smile, face, lovely hair.
    And don't forget ~ color is your friend !! ;)
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm hourglass... work on that waist and embrace the shape hunny. The sexiest shape you can have with all the bumps and curves in all the right spots. Work it and love it!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Am I the only hourglass who avoids a line for what it does to my hips, fitted pencils or full for me.

I don't think you are an apple I think it is the bra doing a disservice to you.

Look up measuring for a bra. Measure yourself underneath for your band size then ignore any other advise, measure your bust round the widest point with a bra on. If what you have does not hold them very well be prepared to go up a cup size. Then go try underwear on somewhere. Do not buy without trying on until you have an idea of what brands fit you well. I am an E cup in most brands but there are some where even a C is too big! Also, move around when you try on, bend over and the like jump up and down. If you have double boobs go up a cup. There are some brands I just can't buy as they do not fit me and are not comfortable.
    Do not be persuaded or tempted to increase the band size to get in a smaller cup. The bra should support from the back not the shoulders. It should lie flat against your back and not lift when you wear it. Also whatever band you get needs to be a good fit on the longest hook fastening. That way as you wash and wear and it gets bigger you can make it smaller.
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Embrace your curves! Learn to love them ! I didn't realize what I had until an 87 year old woman - a patient where I work complemented me and said whoa!!!! Look at the curves on you! Looking good - we can't change our structure - go online to look up what type of clothes for hourglass woman - and just show them off and be proud! Good luck
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options

If you know where to buy, even at the Swap Meet, you can get body-shapers. Oriental girls go wild in there, as do the Latinas and they have being feminine down to a Science. They know how to up a cheap dress.

ETA: add word
    Hmm sounds like a complement but feels like an insult to latinas! :huh:

Anyways.... Hips are great but in some things they dont look flattering, i like watching the show what not to wear, good advice!
    I like Rhonda Shears shape wear from HSN
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters - a baggy or flowy dress will always make you look bigger than you really are, esp. in the hip area. Form-fitting dresses are the way to go! I recently wore some flowy sundresses on a cruise I went on last month, and I felt "hippy" the whole time in them. :\

But yes - you should be proud of your hourglass shape! :drinker:
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    A-line and empire waists are my best friends, and I found that if a dress has vertical lines in just the right spots it makes me look super slim