1200 Calories or Less! Please Read!

Options
I have been seeing alot of message board posts asking if it is okay to eat 1200 calories or less. THIS IS NOT OKAY. let me repeat. IT IS NOT OKAY TO EAT 1200 CALORIES OR LESS.

People will say they see results. Yes this is true. SHORT TERM you will see lots of weight loss. LONG TERM when you decide to start eating normal you will gain all your weight back or if you CONTINUE to eat 1200cals or less a day forever you will eat up all your muscle and destroy your body.

I am 4'11" starting weight 160. I've lost 31 lbs eating a 1400-1700 diet. 14/1500 on days i don't workout and around 1700 on days that i do. FOOD IS FUEL. people hear me say this all the time on MFP, EAT MORE TO LOSE MORE. Yes it will take alot more time than you want, but it will last. This is a lifestyle change. NOT A DIET. if you EAT CLEAN and EXCERSIZE REGULARELY you will see the results you are looking for in time, and they will be there to stay.

I am not a nutritionist (yet) but i have a lot of knowledge on the subjuct and am very passionate about it. When i get out of the service i will be going to school for nutrition. Please let me know if you have ANY questions. or just want some advice. like i said i am not a professional but i am here to help.

Please read the article below if you still have your doubts. Thank you.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/

15188748.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly telling people 1200 calories is too little, but the people who see results from it tend to not listen. I guess it's a case of each to their own. I personally usually have between 1000-1200 calories just for my dinner, around 300 for breakfast and perhaps upto 400 in snacks. I.E Fruit, small bar of chocolate, crisps, ect.

If I could eat 1200 calories and feel full, however, I wouldn't stuff my face just for the sake of it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Livestrong is a content farm. No thanks.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore. Chill out
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else is doing? What matters is what YOU are doing and that it works for YOU.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    thank you!
    unfortunately these people won't all listen to you
    its so frustrating!
    i just end up deleting them if they are on my friends list, i can't motivate and support someone who doesnt eat.
    my favorite are the people who say they physically can't eat more, makes me LOL
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging 1200-1350 a day for two months. I've lost 13 of the 17 pounds I wanted to lose. I feel fine. Problem?

I'm also in my forties. I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 139 pounds, I started at 152.5 on September 1. As you get older, your body becomes more efficient at burning calories. That means that you need fewer calories each day to maintain your weight than you did when you were in your 20s. So if you eat like you did in your 20s, you'll gain weight.

I don't plan on "going back to how I was eating before" OR continue to eat at a calorie deficit after I reach my goal weight. So yeah, chill with your blanket statements. :smokin:
  • selfepidemic1
    Options
    thank you!
    unfortunately these people won't all listen to you
    its so frustrating!
    i just end up deleting them if they are on my friends list, i can't motivate and support someone who doesnt eat.
    my favorite are the people who say they physically can't eat more, makes me LOL

I do a high fat diet, I have up to ten carbs a day. I am satiated and I cannot eat anymore. If you tried the same diet you would get it. Stop making assumptions about someone just because you think you know everything. There are hundreds of lifestyles and it is entirely up to those people on what they eat.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200-1500.. Depending on if I work out or not for almost a year, and I have literally no issues. My body feels great, I have more energy than I ever did before.

Bump because this is gonna get super funny too....
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i ate 1200 calories a day, with 1 high calorie day every OTHER saturday, and i lost 95 pounds in that 11 months. now i am on maintenance, eating an average of 2000 calories per day for the last couple months, and still have continued to slowly lose. under 1200? maybe not such a good idea, but eating the minimum recomended amount for a woman of 1200 per day is not a bad thing for those who can do it. if you dont like the idea of 1200 a day, great for you, dont do it... but a post slamming those who have reached great success on that amount, and are now doing fine on maintenance... seems to me like you are just looking to argue!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else is doing? What matters is what YOU are doing and that it works for YOU.

THIS!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    i ate 1200 calories a day, with 1 high calorie day every OTHER saturday, and i lost 95 pounds in that 11 months. now i am on maintenance, eating an average of 2000 calories per day for the last couple months, and still have continued to slowly lose. under 1200? maybe not such a good idea, but eating the minimum recomended amount for a woman of 1200 per day is not a bad thing for those who can do it. if you dont like the idea of 1200 a day, great for you, dont do it... but a post slamming those who have reached great success on that amount, and are now doing fine on maintenance... seems to me like you are just looking to argue!
    well said :smile:
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore.
    You can't eat 2/3 cup of peanut butter in the space of 24 hours?
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    good thing this thread was made
  • selfepidemic1
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore.
    You can't eat 2/3 cup of peanut butter in the space of 24 hours?

Why would I? You know there are a type of people who live on very low calorie intakes and just eat the most nutritious parts of foods. I have a high fat diet, I don't NEED peanut butter, I eat by my means. I don't exercise and my job is me usually sitting down. Just because other people cannot eat 900 calories doesn't mean I shouldn't.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The article you site has this to say...

Minor Side Effects
    Eating less than 1,200 calories per day will send your body into starvation mode.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/#ixzz2jEcNX7ij
  • Tuili
    Tuili Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to eat enough calories a day. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I get busy with work, I forget to eat and I'm not just gonna stuff myself with calories for the sake of getting over the daily calorie count (which for me is 1750). I did the Shred Diet and learned to eat several small meals during the course of the day, for me it takes effort to eat enough (of the right foods). I don't eat potato chips, candy, or high calorie snacks any more, so I find that I have to eat even more of the good foods to get my calorie count in, which I find difficult. I prefer eating smaller meals it makes me feel better about eating, I don't feel stuffed, which makes me feel "fat". Its a work in progress which takes time. I'm beginning to adjust to more days with enough calories.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This might not end well.....
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow, maybe you should try spell-check??? Just sayin', since apparently this is a judgmental thread... :grumble:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    From the link I posted
    This isn't an argument for people to start following VLCD as most will fail miserably. Once you factor in the psychology aspects of them, they're just not right for most long term fat loss plans. In addition, the lower your energy intake is, the more careful you have to be about nutritional adequacy. Meaning it becomes very easy to shortchange yourself of particular facets of nutrition, which can ultimately tap into "health."