1200 Calories or Less! Please Read!

Options

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My BMR is around 1450. Therefore if I want to lose weight, I must go on a 1200 cal diet. It's simple math.
    You should probably go back and reread what exactly BMR means. I think you meant TDEE. You want to eat less than your total daily energy expenditure, but more than your basal metabolic rate. :flowerforyou:
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ~rolls eyes~ Why would MFP give calorie counts of 1200 if it didn't work? And to force yourself to eat a spoon or whatever of peanut butter just to get in those extra calories is just crazy... I listened to all the jabber of people on this site saying others are not eating enough or not eating the right food or blah blah! Just do what YOU want, only YOU know how your body reacts to the calories and types of food you are taking in. Everyone is so preachy here. =S

Yes but if you eat LESS which you probably are because no one eats EXACTLY 1200 when you hit complete it tells you flat out on the APP that you are putting your body into STARVATION mode no? thanks. I am just concerned with peoples health which is why i am becoming a nutritionist.

15188748.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    would sit back and watch... but, a black cat crossed my path to the popcorn.

popcat.JPG
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200-1500.. Depending on if I work out or not for almost a year, and I have literally no issues. My body feels great, I have more energy than I ever did before.

Bump because this is gonna get super funny too....

Same here. If I don't work out, I try to stick around 1200. If I do work out, I may go up to 1500 - 1600. For the first time in my adult life, I don't feel hungry ALL the time. For the first time in my adult life, I am NOT binging on a daily basis. Sticking to my 1200 calorie goal is what is working for me.

Also, this is under my doctor's supervision and approval. I told her I was exercising and eating 1200 calories per day. She approved, and told me that is exactly what I should be doing.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore. Chill out

smh
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    A certified nutritionist suggested I eat 1200 calories, MFP says the same thing...considering my age (45) and my height (5ft)...no exercise.....are you saying I should be getting a second opinion? ....maybe yours?

but your ticker says you haven't lost any weight ?

looks like she may have just joined...why so mean????
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    1200 per day is the minimum recommended by most sources...unless you are under doctor's supervision. There are occasions that under 1200 might be warranted, and worth the risk...such as very morbidly obese people or physically challenged people who have difficulty doing any exercise. There are also times that 1200 would be too little...such as for men. It's recommended that they not go below 1500.

But I can't figure out why now eating 1200 calories a day (not UNDER 1200) but eating 1200 is considered so bad by many people on this site. If 1200 is too few, what's the magic number? 1250? 1300? 3000? If only eating 1200 is too difficult for you, and you would rather lose your weight more slowly, then that is the right plan for you.

But I am doing fine eating around 1200 calories a day.. I haven't lost my hair. I don't feel tired or sick. I'm just losing about 2 pounds a week, which considering I'm still over 200 is probably fine for me. Of course I won't do it forever. When I've lost 100 pounds, I'll gradually increase my calories until I start maintaining weight.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My BMR is around 1450. Therefore if I want to lose weight, I must go on a 1200 cal diet. It's simple math.
    You should probably go back and reread what exactly BMR means. I think you meant TDEE. You want to eat less than your total daily energy expenditure, but more than your basal metabolic rate. :flowerforyou:

I was just going to say that, my bmr is 1470, but i eat 1800, check your TDEE. :drinker:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    34g9isj.jpg
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ~rolls eyes~ Why would MFP give calorie counts of 1200 if it didn't work? And to force yourself to eat a spoon or whatever of peanut butter just to get in those extra calories is just crazy... I listened to all the jabber of people on this site saying others are not eating enough or not eating the right food or blah blah! Just do what YOU want, only YOU know how your body reacts to the calories and types of food you are taking in. Everyone is so preachy here. =S

Yes but if you eat LESS which you probably are because no one eats EXACTLY 1200 when you hit complete it tells you flat out on the APP that you are putting your body into STARVATION mode no? thanks. I am just concerned with peoples health which is why i am becoming a nutritionist.

15188748.png

There is no such thing as starvation mode, unless you're ACTUALLY not eating for 2 months. Your body goes through 3 different stages when it has a restrition, the first is to burn all the glucose/sugar/carbs, the second is to use fat as its energy source ( ketones / ketogenic diet, which I am on ) THEN when it has dwindled away all the fat it has, it'll look to muscles, and eat away at your heart.

Eating less does not equal a starvation mode. I'll find some studies if you want them :)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore.
    You can't eat 2/3 cup of peanut butter in the space of 24 hours?

Why would I? You know there are a type of people who live on very low calorie intakes and just eat the most nutritious parts of foods. I have a high fat diet, I don't NEED peanut butter, I eat by my means. I don't exercise and my job is me usually sitting down. Just because other people cannot eat 900 calories doesn't mean I shouldn't.

There is a group of people that live on very low calorie intakes ... You know what they're called? ... ANOREXICS ... Even calorie-restriction-for-longevity people don't eat below their BMR ...

No, annorexics tend to avoid food altogether.

It was actually on a BBC documentary, in relation to the fact that they can live much longer than "normal" people because the body doesn't replace cells but repairs them. I'll have to find it before you.

Are you referring to Michael Mosley's documentary Eat, Fast and Live Longer? It promotes doing 2 low calorie days a week and the other 5 days at maintenance calories, (around 2,000 calories a day.) The lead scientist interviewed only does fasting days sporadically himself, and does not do low calorie days continuously. I did alternate day IF for weight lost (low calorie every other day), and on the alternate days I ate 2,000 calories or more. If averaged it broke down to 1,400+ calories a day. In no way does IF equal eating 900 calories a day :huh:
  • AlyssamR6712
    Options
    Not trying to tell people what to do. Just trying to be informative. People on this thread have said "oh i have tried upping my calorie intake to 1400 or so but it just makes me gain weight" MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP EATING JUNK. If you EAT CLEAN you will CONTINUE to lose weight. Maybe not right away because your body is so used to processing junk food. Its a proccess you have to be patient with it.

And yes MFP says its okay to eat 1200 Calories but if you eat even a calorie less than that my APP tells me i'm putting my body into STARVATION MODE.

15188748.png
  • johnnifast
    johnnifast Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The general and easy way to lose weight is...... be in a caloric deficit according to your goals.

If people want to lose 1 lb per week safely, then be at a -500 caloric deficit each day.

1,200 calories may be optimal depending on the size of the person. Everyone is different. A petite person trying to lose weight compared to a larger person will have different BMR's. Find out your BMR, then TDEE and plan for a caloric deficit.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore.
    You can't eat 2/3 cup of peanut butter in the space of 24 hours?

Why would I? You know there are a type of people who live on very low calorie intakes and just eat the most nutritious parts of foods. I have a high fat diet, I don't NEED peanut butter, I eat by my means. I don't exercise and my job is me usually sitting down. Just because other people cannot eat 900 calories doesn't mean I shouldn't.

There is a group of people that live on very low calorie intakes ... You know what they're called? ... ANOREXICS ... Even calorie-restriction-for-longevity people don't eat below their BMR ...

No, annorexics tend to avoid food altogether.

It was actually on a BBC documentary, in relation to the fact that they can live much longer than "normal" people because the body doesn't replace cells but repairs them. I'll have to find it before you.

Are you referring to Michael Mosley's documentary Eat, Fast and Live Longer? It promotes doing 2 low calorie days a week and the other 5 days at maintenance calories, (around 2,000 calories a day.) The lead scientist interviewed only does fasting days sporadically himself, and does not do low calorie days continuously. I did alternate day IF for weight lost (low calorie every other day), and on the alternate days I ate 2,000 calories or more. If averaged it broke down to 1,400+ calories a day.

There was one (I know the one you are talking about, it is in that episode, but not the area you're on about ) where they eat about 900 calories a day, eating apple skin etc because of the nutrients.

Some people do IF that way, I just choose to eat at a certain time, mainly because I'm never hungry in the morning and eating too early makes me feel nauseous and then I'm good for the rest of the day.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

QFT
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore. Chill out

I'm almost certain that you could 'physically' eat more if you tried.

Ignorance, ignorance everywhere

Ignorance is thinking that you know how everyone elses body works. My sister eats like a bird. There is nothing wrong with her. She just always has. People have been after her her entire life to eat more. To the point of her feeling shame and trying to stuff more in and getting physically sick.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Not trying to tell people what to do. Just trying to be informative. People on this thread have said "oh i have tried upping my calorie intake to 1400 or so but it just makes me gain weight" MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP EATING JUNK. If you EAT CLEAN you will CONTINUE to lose weight. Maybe not right away because your body is so used to processing junk food. Its a proccess you have to be patient with it.

And yes MFP says its okay to eat 1200 Calories but if you eat even a calorie less than that my APP tells me i'm putting my body into STARVATION MODE.

15188748.png

Oh please don't throw in the clean crap. I was on board with the 1200+ until you used the dirty word "clean". I eat dirty and my ticker is still moving in the right direction on 1550.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat 10gs of carbs, look at Keto before going OMG SO BAD. It works, I do IF and eat as much as I can in a 6 hour window. I don't need people who are not me to tell me what I should or should not do. Unless you're qualified and understand me, I won't be bothered to listen.

You can sustain on 900, its quite an easy thing to do when fat takes up 70% of your intake. I would post a hundred and twenty studies but apparently the people who are like omg you're so stoopid are the people who only listen to what they want, rather than realising that people are different, and have different requirements for their diet.

I know you are not listening and all, but you are doing IF wrong.
  • AlyssamR6712
    Options
    This is all just TOO FUNNY!!!!!! Let's beat this horse to death, then revive it, then beat the hell out of it again, just for fun!!!!

MYOB!!!! Unless you have MD after your name, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. See your doc, who should be monitoring whether something is working for you or not. Not some stranger on a message board. But the entertainment is priceless!

Actually, when it comes to nutrition and exercise advice, I'd prefer the person doesn't have MD in their name.

My thoughts exactly! DOCTORS ARE NOT NUTRITIONISTS!

FOR EXAMPLE: My nephew has leukemia and his DOCTORS tried to tell my sister that she should be giving him soda and candy and pizza and not to feed him fruits and vegetables..... PLEASE someone tell me how that makes ANY sense.

15188748.png