**Controversial** Eating 1,200 Calories or Less

Options
I'm not saying that everyday I eat 1,200 Calories or Under- But May I ask... Why Is It On Myfitnesspal is it so controversial to even MENTION that you may do it sometimes? People really get angry- and lash back at this. If your not hungry eating at this level, and not feeling sick or sluggish why do people seem so angry about it?

*I would also like to mention I work out 5 days a week and weight train*

Myfitnesspal told me to eat 1,300 and change.... So what is the problem... I have people saying I should be eating 1,800+++ isn't that what got me here in the first place....

Please no judgmental responses, just asking out of curiosity + to Learn from everyone.

Replies

• SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'2" and MFP tells me to eat only 1,200 calories a day. Sooo I don't know why people are freaking out.

No one should be getting angry at what another person chooses to eat or not - that's just silly.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Who knows. It's a puzzle wrapped in an enigma, hidden in a maze of riddles.... or something.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have seen these too. I have been on a specific elimination diet at the behest of the Dr. and sick as a puppy for the last month. I am usually under 1200. I have just not mentioned it to anyone. I don't need the grief.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why Is It On Myfitnesspal is it so controversial to even MENTION that you may do it sometimes?

Every forum has its bible. MFP has several even more sacrosanct commandments than that one (just try and suggest that resistance training isn't important - go on, just try, I dare you! :tongue: ).

The reality is that most people can hit their minimum required macros on less than 1200 calories. However, the less you eat, the more attention you have to pay to the macro and micro constituents in what you eat.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    STAHP!
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    No one should be getting angry at what another person chooses to eat or not - that's just silly.

This ^
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wonder about this myself. I am sure it is not wise to "starve" oneself, but to have this one-size-fits-all number of 1200 calories is illogical. Everyone is different-- different sizes, different ages, different activity levels, different genders- there's no way everyone can have the same "safe" lower limit.
    As to why people get so angry and snarky, I am not sure, but I suspect it has to do with control . Losing weight takes discipline and control. If you take away black-and-white rules, some people get uncomfortable.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's flame baiting. I'm an asbestos balloon.
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    Looks like flame baiting to me.

What is Flame Baiting?
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    Is this flame baiting?

What is Flame Baiting?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'2" and MFP tells me to eat only 1,200 calories a day. Sooo I don't know why people are freaking out.

I am 5'2 and eat between 1600-1900 calories, See ticker below!!! :bigsmile:

MFP is set up that you SUPPOSE to eat back all or most of your exercise calories. That's why when you put in your exercise your calories go up!! :ohwell:
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    What is Flame Baiting?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    - Because people don't know how to use MFP and don't understand that its 1200 NET calories...a far cry different than 1200 gross calories.

- Because people take the most aggressive approach whether they have 5 Lbs to lose or 200 lbs to lose and don't know the difference.

- Because there are an *kitten* load of young girls on this site who don't even need to lose weight who are netting well below 1000 calories...this is called an eating disorder.

- Because some of us actually care as much or more about actual NUTRITION than just losing a few Lbs...it is next to impossible to actually meet your body's requisite fat, protein, and vitamin and mineral needs when you're eating 1200 calories and exercising 800 of those off.

- Because some of us understand that when you do this for a prolonged period of time you destroy LBM which is very difficult to get back

- Because some of us have been around the block a few times and have been here awhile...and we get to see posts of 1200 calorie "success stories" turning into, "why is my hair falling out" and "why don't I have a period anymore" posts.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    ... and we'll see you at the "what am I doing wrong/what's wrong with me, why can't I lose weight" thread. :flowerforyou:
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have no idea either, but it irritates me. I have had my thyroid removed, I am short, and I am very, very sedentary (right now). I currently eat 1000 cals a day and I am losing 1-1.5lbs a week and I feel perfectly fine. I just choose to ignore advice that I feel doesn't pertain to my specific situation.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I find it so weird. I am a big woman at 5'8" and 213 lb and there are days that I eat right around 1,200 calories - my goal is 1,410 right now - and I can't imagine that it would be SOOOO horrible for someone much smaller than me to eat that amount every single day (or less). Just saying.

I also find it a little odd when people say they can't manage to stay at 1,200. I don't have too much trouble staying under 1,410 at all and I am pretty liberal with treats and extras!

(oh and I do mean with no exercise when I talk about 1,200)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    - Because people don't know how to use MFP and don't understand that its 1200 NET calories...a far cry different than 1200 gross calories.

- Because people take the most aggressive approach whether they have 5 Lbs to lose or 200 lbs to lose and don't know the difference.

- Because there are an *kitten* load of young girls on this site who don't even need to lose weight who are netting well below 1000 calories...this is called an eating disorder.

- Because some of us actually care as much or more about actual NUTRITION than just losing a few Lbs...it is next to impossible to actually meet your body's requisite fat, protein, and vitamin and mineral needs when you're eating 1200 calories and exercising 800 of those off.

- Because some of us understand that when you do this for a prolonged period of time you destroy LBM which is very difficult to get back

- Because some of us have been around the block a few times and have been here awhile...and we get to see posts of 1200 calorie success story people coming back and asking why their hair is falling out and why they don't have a period any more.

I could give you more but you don't really care anyway so why bother...enjoy your awesome and amazing "journey"

:drinker:
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I don't hit 1200 for the day, no big deal. I think people are just trying to make sure if you are going under 1200 EVERY day that it's not because you
    A. have an eating disorder
    B. crash dieting just to eventually stop, and gain everything back
    Most people need more than 1200 calories a day, whether they want to admit it or not. The people that actually don't need that many are probably just not so outspoken about it because they've seen what it causes in these forums lol
  • chrissiejean54
    Options
    well I'm just under 5 foot and MFP told me 1200 a day .If it's such a problem why are they doing it !!!!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    well I'm just under 5 foot and MFP told me 1200 a day .If it's such a problem why are they doing it !!!!!!

Liability. Nobody wants to get sued.
This discussion has been closed.