**Controversial** Eating 1,200 Calories or Less

Options

Replies

• RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    I agree---- I'm 5'0 and 26... They told me 1,300 and change.... So what is the problem... I have people saying I should be eating 1,800+++ isn't that what got me here in the first place....
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    - Because people don't know how to use MFP and don't understand that its 1200 NET calories...a far cry different than 1200 gross calories.

- Because people take the most aggressive approach whether they have 5 Lbs to lose or 200 lbs to lose and don't know the difference.

- Because there are an *kitten* load of young girls on this site who don't even need to lose weight who are netting well below 1000 calories...this is called an eating disorder.

- Because some of us actually care as much or more about actual NUTRITION than just losing a few Lbs...it is next to impossible to actually meet your body's requisite fat, protein, and vitamin and mineral needs when you're eating 1200 calories and exercising 800 of those off.

- Because some of us understand that when you do this for a prolonged period of time you destroy LBM which is very difficult to get back

- Because some of us have been around the block a few times and have been here awhile...and we get to see posts of 1200 calorie "success stories" turning into, "why is my hair falling out" and "why don't I have a period anymore" posts.

I could give you more but you don't really care anyway so why bother...enjoy your awesome and amazing "journey"

There is your answer OP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    well I'm just under 5 foot and MFP told me 1200 a day .If it's such a problem why are they doing it !!!!!!

NET, NET, NET, NET...this is a far cry different than 1200 gross. Also, being under 5 foot tall makes you a statistical outlier...the average female who is even remotely active needs more than 1200 calories...and again...it's NET...meaning you add back exercise calories.
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    Yes, when I started I told the site I exercised 5 days a week...this has not changed.
    and YES I DO CARE. I am very dedicated to loosing weight- and find this site to be a great help for me... I like being able to get advice for people...including yours...
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    - Because people don't know how to use MFP and don't understand that its 1200 NET calories...a far cry different than 1200 gross calories.

- Because people take the most aggressive approach whether they have 5 Lbs to lose or 200 lbs to lose and don't know the difference.

- Because there are an *kitten* load of young girls on this site who don't even need to lose weight who are netting well below 1000 calories...this is called an eating disorder.

- Because some of us actually care as much or more about actual NUTRITION than just losing a few Lbs...it is next to impossible to actually meet your body's requisite fat, protein, and vitamin and mineral needs when you're eating 1200 calories and exercising 800 of those off.

- Because some of us understand that when you do this for a prolonged period of time you destroy LBM which is very difficult to get back

- Because some of us have been around the block a few times and have been here awhile...and we get to see posts of 1200 calorie "success stories" turning into, "why is my hair falling out" and "why don't I have a period anymore" posts.

I could give you more but you don't really care anyway so why bother...enjoy your awesome and amazing "journey"

All of this^^^^^^ :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

All of this^^^^^^ :drinker:

All of this x10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

/thread
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Yes, when I started I told the site I exercised 5 days a week...this has not changed.
    and YES I DO CARE. I am very dedicated to loosing weight- and find this site to be a great help for me... I like being able to get advice for people...including yours...

MFP doesn't believe that you're going to do your exercise which is why it gives you more calories when you log it. If you don't believe me then go change your goals and say zero exercise...your calorie goal won't change provided you keep everything else constant.

1200 NET calories isn't a huge issue for most women...grossing 1200 and netting 500 calories per day is and should be done under the supervision of a health care professional. You have to understand that you have a basal calorie burn...the calories your body needs just to pump your blood and work your lungs, etc...when you do VLCD for extended periods of time your body starts shutting down "non-essential" functions like growing hair and nails and what not because it's needs that energy elsewhere.

There is no one size fits all magic number and if you're netting 1200 you're probably fine...if you're super short or super old or whatever you can probably get away with netting a bit less depending on how much fat you have stored and being that you would be a statistical outlier. Just keep in mind that the leaner you get the more damaging this becomes.

I've just seen way too many of these and nobody seems to listen until something bad actually happens to them...even then, they usually try to find some other excuse than their 500 calories per day as to why they don't have a menstrual cycle anymore and their hair is falling out by the handful in the shower.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I agree---- I'm 5'0 and 26... They told me 1,300 and change.... So what is the problem... I have people saying I should be eating 1,800+++ isn't that what got me here in the first place....

At 26 y-o and 5', you did not get high in weight by eating 1800 calories a day, no. Maybe if you started with very little lean mass; I don't know what weight is overweight for you/your frame and LBM.

In that case, I do think folks probably want to put on more lean mass, though, so the calories still won't be very low to maintain a nice weight at your age. There are medical/hormonal exceptions, but basically you were probably eating more than 1800 a day for a while, yes.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Being under the supervision of a doctor on a prescribed diet is a lot different than some 19 year old girl with about 2 lbs of fat on her eating 500 calories per day. Get real...

But we are not talking about 500 calories. We are talking about 1200.....why always jump to extremes ?
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    well I'm just under 5 foot and MFP told me 1200 a day .If it's such a problem why are they doing it !!!!!!

NET, NET, NET, NET...this is a far cry different than 1200 gross. Also, being under 5 foot tall makes you a statistical outlier...the average female who is even remotely active needs more than 1200 calories...and again...it's NET...meaning you add back exercise calories.

MFP told you 1200 because you probably chose sedentary and want to lose 2lbs a week when you set up your account? If you were active, it would give you more calories to eat. =)
  • Lucia_Armstrong1973
    Options

But why the anger and hostility??? Ever heard the saying that you catch more flies with honey???
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options

^^This
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Being under the supervision of a doctor on a prescribed diet is a lot different than some 19 year old girl with about 2 lbs of fat on her eating 500 calories per day. Get real...

But we are not talking about 500 calories. We are talking about 1200.....why always jump to extremes ?

Because if you gross 1200 calories and you do, say about 1 hour of exercise, you're going to be right around 500-800 calories net....which is in no way healthy...which is why I keep saying NET calories.

30572300.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    Options

But why the anger and hostility??? Ever heard the saying that you catch more flies with honey???

You catch no flies either way...I've been at this over a year and unfortunately, I do care...otherwise I'd just say **** it and move on. Nobody listens until bad **** happens...that's MFP
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options

What did you set as your weekly weight loss goal?
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think people & society in general are focusing too much emphasis on just the numbers more than reality. We can perfectly survive & function on a low calorie diet. 200 years ago people didnt worry about calories, they got up in the morning and went about their day, they were much more physically active than we are today, and were overall much more slender than the average person today. They didnt have to jog, eat salads all the time in order to lose weight, or be haunted by that bag of potato chips thats hiding in the pantry. They were already slender because of a much more active lifestyle. Back then if there were any fat people, it was the rich or wealthy... Today is all backwards where a head of lettuce costs more than a .99 cent double cheeseburger.

The best thing is to focus on a healthy lifestyle, such as eating food, real food that is low in calories yet very healthy, such as fruit and vegetables and lean meats and just becoming more active. The result is weight that that you can live with and maintain for a very long time... Stop worrying about the numbers and eat sensibly folks....
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options

Because if you gross 1200 calories and you do, say about 1 hour of exercise, you're going to be right around 500-800 calories net....which is in no way healthy...which is why I keep saying NET calories.

I do an hour of weightlifting 3x/week. Resistance training burns significantly less than cardio... hardly anything, really. For those of us who prefer resistance training, are very short females, have sedentary jobs, and only have a little bit to lose, 1200 isn't that extreme. I eat 1300(TDEE-20%), but my weight loss is less than a pound a week that way. It's not going to be right for the vast majority of MFP members, but when I see folks say they won't accept friend requests from people who eat less than X calories or whatever, it's kinda discouraging.
  • swright986
    Options
    Ok i am new to all of this, MFP to says to eat 1200 calories a day. But now that i am exercising i always eat back those calories that i burned off is that correct????? Help
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to focus on a healthy lifestyle, such as eating food, real food that is low in calories yet very healthy, such as fruit and vegetables and lean meats and just becoming more active. The result is weight that that you can live with and maintain for a very long time... Stop worrying about the numbers and eat sensibly folks....

To be fair - learning and "worrying" about "the numbers" changed my life. No snark either, being completely honest.
This discussion has been closed.