UN-Realistic Body Image

Options
13»

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I will point out one misleading thing in the video: they applied makeup to the model after the "before" photo was taken. They still messed with her digitally pretty badly, but she looked more made up in the studio than it would have you believe.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    This is the male version. Gotta have those nipples in the right place, guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_I17cK1ltY#t=53
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    The reason people "fall" for these images, even when they know that they have been retouched is because they are simply (albeit drastically) enhancing the characteristics that are naturally (nearly) universally appealing. Long legs, clear and bright skin, large eyes, gracile neck. We are hardwired to find these characteristics attractive and and enhancing these these characteristics beyond what is actually possible has the same effect as beer bottles on these poor besotted beetles.
    http://news.discovery.com/animals/beetles-dying-beer-bottles-111003.htm
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The unrealistic body image is the goal of the industry.

That is what moves billions of dollars worth of beauty products. Look at your drugstore isles - what percentage of it is "beauty"? That should tell you where most of the profit is.

The goal is to make every woman feel that they fall short and should buy something to look better, closer to the that image seen by men and women constantly throughout their day.

Imagine what landscape of our economy looked like if every woman woke up tomorrow and felt she is just fine the way she is.

And even totally artificial trends like painted nails or waxing salons -- look at the huge chunks of employment and economy they comprise.

You hit the nail on the head. Beauty is a business.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Not too be mean but I think you lady's are crazy for even picking up some of the mags on the shelf. I see my wife with her head buried into a woman's style mag and I just shake my head. Everything is fake and unacheievable by the average person.

I'm an old fashion guy who appreciates the view of a real woman with natural curves. I think you lady's should do your best to keep heathly naturally and rock what God gave ya.

All women are beautiful in their own way.

Your wife is a lucky lucky lady! :)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    We can all be beautiful with Photoshop!
  • branfran2011
    Options
    The unrealistic body image is the goal of the industry.

Imagine what landscape of our economy looked like if every woman woke up tomorrow and felt she is just fine the way she is.

You hit the nail on the head. Beauty is a business.

^^^ This, so much! I hadn't realized until that video how much they doctor up these photos.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I will point out one misleading thing in the video: they applied makeup to the model after the "before" photo was taken. They still messed with her digitally pretty badly, but she looked more made up in the studio than it would have you believe.

I don't think that's misleading. It's part of the transformation. A professional makeup artist can completely change the way a person looks...it's just one step of the entire process.