Great Success with Belviq(Rx drug)

Options
So I started on Belviq around Jun 12,2013. I was per my BMI obese and so tired of what I felt like and looked like. I typically am not a gorger or consumed with food but did navigate to a lot of carbs in my regular diet. I knew that simply taking a drug is not answer to the problem so I actively pursued some significant life style changes to my diet. What Belviq does help with, is the ability to reduce those carbs and not yo-you back to bad habits. It works on helping you mentally not have the typical cravings.
The results have been quite good for me:
I lost over 20lbs, over 6" off my belly, general feeling of well-being, can get back in clothes I had stashed in the back of my closet, my most significant benefit was bringing my blood pressure back to normal levels.

The cons have been slight headaches starting out(could be the carb reduction effect), I am lucky my insurance(Aetna) pays all but $5 for this drug, for some that will be as high as $180 a month if no insurance but there is a voucher for 15 days free trial and a $75 off per month discount if your insurance doesn't cover it.

Why am I posting so much detail? Well because this drug works and it seems to be hidden under a rock as nobody I talked to seems to have heard of it. I had to educate and convince my own doctor to prescribe it. Through some various web sites I have been in touch with others who have taken it and the success rate so far seems to be over 80% responding well.

You got to want to lose weight, to make significant lifestyle changes so you don't yo-yo. Belviq has been the first thing to help me accomplish this in many other attempts to become healthier.

Replies

• dclancy123
    Options
    Tomorrow I will try to post a current photo as the one in my profile is day 1(June 12,2013)
  • mlpranathi1
    Options
    Hi, one of my friends asked me about BELVIQ and where he can buy this? Can you help me out on this. Is this a prescription only DRUG or can be bought over the counter? :smile:
  • MAJdansk
    MAJdansk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hello...It's good to see someone on MFP who is taking Belviq. I'm on it, and have noticed a difference in my mood and motivation to stay within my calories/day and to exercise at least 30 minutes/day. Could be "halo effect", but I'm hoping not. I learned about it while taking continuing education credits on nurse.com. I asked my doctor about it, and she was very willing to let me try it out since I fall into the "who should take this medication" category...high BMI and hypertension. My Blue Care Network does not cover it unfortunately, but I started with the free 15 day trial, and use the coupon for half off after that. It costs $150/mo (60 pills taken 2x/day). I've always thought I had a serotonin problem since I crave carbs. Belviq works on serotonin, and unlike meds like Paxil that also "stimulates" serotonin, it doesn't cause weight gain....so, you get the elevated mood and better sleep without Paxil's side effects. Belviq has it's own serious side effects however (be sure to read about them if anyone's wanting to take Belviq), but I have not experienced anything but dry mouth. I'm hoping that this continues to add me in my journey to a healthier lifestyle. Please let me know how you're doing. Peace.
  • Kisha352
    Kisha352 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started taking Belviq yesterday (the 15 day trail till my insurance will approve it [UPMC]) I went to Rite Aid with no insurance coverage is about $100 for 30 days, but if the saving card you are taking about knocks off $75 then iits worth it if Belviq works. However I am confused. On the botle I was given it says take 1 by mouth per day, but the info package I was given says take twice by mouth a day. What did/are you two doing. Once a day or Twice a day? I do notice that I am kind of in a daze about 2 hours after taking it. But other then that I am fine. Any thoughts or opinions? Smiles Kisha
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of starting Beviq myself, I have an appointment with my weight loss doctor to talk to her about it. Thanks for the information and you can add me as a friend.
  • Kisha352
    Options
    I have been using it for 3 days (as of today) I did not feel super HUNGRY like I have in the past. I am watching what I shove in my mouth. I hope with diet and working out I can get the weight off!
  • Kisha352
    Options
    I hope this helps. I have been taking Belviq for 8 days I have lost 6lbs! I do try to work out 3 times a week, if its not in the gym then i'm mowing the yard! Im trying to be more active.:smile:
  • Kisha352
    Options
    Day 13. I have been on the Belviq for 13 days now and I am about to end my Free 15 day trail. I started at 257 and now i am at 249.2! Which I think is pretty impressive! My insurance does not cover Belviq or any other pill however they will cover Bypass, funny i know! With the saving card from the Belviq Company for 60 pills its $150, which i will be picking up tomorrow. I am only going to do the Belviq for 60 more days because its just to $$$ and spending this much is pushing it for me. However it is working and i could not be happier! Hope this helps... Smiles Kisha
  • Kisha352
    Options
    Day 23 on Belviq! I have lost 9lbs! I wish it was more. I currently taking 1 pill a day but I am going to start taking 1.5 to see if I can get over my hump. I have not worked out since Sat do to a little incounter on Sunday and I am not not able to wear tennies... I do not feel super hungry throughout the day but about 7ish I can hear my belly calling for food! I do not over eat anymore! Which was a major issue for me. When I make my plate its small amounts on there. I have cut out a lot of bread and rice, and eating more beans (I forgot how yummy they are) I hope this helps... Smiles Kisha352
  • megsmom8816
    megsmom8816 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am trying it again for the second time. The first time I couldn't get past the headaches it caused. They were similar to migraines. Today is my first day. How long have those of you who are using Belviq experienced the headaches? Should I just try to get through them in hopes it gets better?
  • FatCatsRule
    FatCatsRule Posts: 37
    Options
    I have not tried Belviq yet myself but have heard from others that the headaches went away within the first week of taking it and they had no side effects after that. I would hang in there a little longer. If you want to succeed, I would give it at least two weeks to see if they go away before giving up.
  • FatCatsRule
    FatCatsRule Posts: 37
    Options
    @Kisha352 - Congrats on your weight loss success with Belviq so far. I am curious why you are only taking 1 pill per day? The FDA recommendation is for (2) 10 mg pills per day (1 morning and 1 evening).
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ...so your going to be on this drug for the rest of your life?
  • rammsz
    rammsz Posts: 79
    Options
    Please. If you are reading this make SURE to do some research before you try to get it. The truth is there is NO such things as "magic pills to lose weight". If you research about Belviq online you find out that it is not worth taking. The only way to lose weight is to have self control. If you don't have self control then you better push yourself to avoid overeating and exercising.
  • megsmom8816
    Options
    On day 3, and the headaches are becoming milder. I am only taking one pill a day for now, so I do notice it wears off at about 4 p.m. but I still control my eating the rest of the night.

I do not think it is a magic pill. It has not taken my appetite away, but it has taken away some of the cravings. My endo. and my general practitioner thought this pill was a good idea because my thyroid is extremely underactive and after 10 years they still can't get the levels right and have tried many different medications for it. Add menopause and middle age and there was nothing I could do to lose weight, and with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, they decided it was worth trying it, so I am giving it a try.
  • ebwiley
    ebwiley Posts: 13
    Options
    I've been on Belviq for three weeks. My doctor said he would cycle me on and off as you can build a resistance to the drug - one months on and one off. In the three weeks, I've lost 12lbs. I've had no side effects, and I have no more cravings.
  • megsmom8816
    Options
    Are you taking one pill or two? So far I only have taken one a day. I also think I gained a pound in the four days I have been on it.
  • Kisha352
    Options
    My PCP wrote my script for 1 pill once a day. I did up it to 1.5. I take a pill in the AM and then .5 a little before lunch time. I have read about Belviq (before I starting taking it) and spoke with a my pharm and was told that I should follow what my PCP wrote it for. However when I hit my hump of no weight loss I stated to take 1.5 a day. I was on vaction from 05.16.14 - 05.28.14 and I did take 1 pill a day and I did not feel hungry however I did eat a little to much sweets. I gained 1 pound and im sure with my normal eating habits and the gym I will have no issue getting more weight off... I also take Adipex and I did not use it the while time I was there, maybe because we were always on the go and I didn't think about eating as much as I would when Im home.
    Personally I do not think this is a miracle weight loss drug. I think its a drug that helps you to become more active and want to get off the sofa. I worked out 3 times a week and and do yard work every weekend when I'm not at the gym and my body just would not drop any weight. I have been tested for lord knows what and everything is normal, this is why my PCP suggested I try this, to kick start my body. And I am lucky that is has! I am in the gym more and I'm pushing my lawn mowing every weekend, I mow about .5 acreas that our home sits on and I started getting froggy and mowed .25 of the acrea field in the back.
    I did have a pretty bad accident last Sunday, and I am not able to wear closed toe shoe on my left foot or push anything because my knee is a little hurt as well. Even with not being able to work out last week and being on Vacation this week I gained 1lbs but im sure once i'm back to 100% i'll be okay. Till then I will do what I can to stay as active as I can. I hope this helps... Smiles Kisha
  • megsmom8816
    Options
    How soon will I know if I am not a responder? I have 50 pounds to lose, and it has helped cravings I guess a bit, but I still get hungry. Since I started on Saturday, I have lost almost two pounds, but that is probably all water.
  • ebwiley
    ebwiley Posts: 13
    Options
    I was able to feel the difference with Belviq the first day. What has been interesting is that if I skip a day, I am still getting some benefit with a serious drop in cravings and hunger without the pill.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!