Great Success with Belviq(Rx drug)

Options
2»

Replies

• megsmom8816
    megsmom8816 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The headaches are gone, and I no longer have continual dry mouth, and my hunger has subsided, but I do still have an appetite. I keep reading everywhere they people have to remind themselves to eat. I don't have that problem. I still eat three meals but no longer snack. In five days I have lost 2.5 pounds. Is this a good sign I am a responder and that it will work for me?
  • ebwiley
    ebwiley Posts: 13
    Options
    I can't say whether you are a responder since I am new with this med. I know that I don't have any cravings and I'm not hungry. I was a real cola addict, several cans a day. It was what always derailed my previous efforts to diet. I haven't had a coke for a month. I just shut up the "demons" in my head. Good luck on your journey.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    so how does this pill teach you how to eat healthy in the long run instead of it just killing your apatite? will the weight stay off after you quit the belviq? i am leary of any "magic" bean cure all for weight loss.
  • ebwiley
    Options
    For me, I always knew what I should be eating, but cravings and my entrenched bad habits seemed too hard to overcome. What this medication has done is to let me look at a can of Coke and not want it; to not want to go to a drive-thru. So, I can really decide to have fresh fruit for lunch, I can pass up the spaghetti and not feel deprived. I think this must be how "normal" people relate to food.

It takes 21 days to break a habit. I'm hoping I can start healthy habits and keep them after the medication ends.
  • wolfepack73
    Options
    I am looking to buy Belviq online. Does anyone know what site I can buy it from that is legitimate?
  • ebwiley
    Options
    You are going to need a prescription. I've found the best price at Walmart: $114 for 30 pills, $230 for 60. It is a controlled substance so I don't know if you can get it from an online pharm.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    All the side effects look scary.
  • ebwiley
    Options
    I have not had any side effects. The only thing I had to change was taking 1 pill a day, not 2. Taking 2 made it hard for me to go to sleep easily. I took 1 a day for one month, now I'm taking one every other day and the results are still the same. I on it now 6 weeks and am losing about 2lbs. a week.

This is something you have to talk over with your Dr. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and difficulty walking. Just the weight I've lost so far has helped my blood pressure, lowered my numbers, and eased the pain in my hips.

I taking next month off the pills, to see how I do.

There is a two-week free trial through your Dr. You can judge if it's for you within a couple of days, and it is free.

Good luck.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    "Risks galore. What's more, the drug can cause several side effects including, headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, dry mouth, and constipation. If you have diabetes, add hypoglycemia, back pain, and a cough to that list. The drug's label also states that Belviq may cause a slowed heartbeat, heart valve problems, painful erections, and if you take more than is prescribed, hallucinations, euphoria, and slowed thinking. Those last risks promoted the Drug Enforcement Agency to classify the drug as a Schedule IV controlled substance, meaning that it poses a slight risk of dependence. Finally, Belviq may also interact adversely with other medications you take, such as drugs used to treat depression, migraines, or colds, and supplements, such as St. John's wort and tryptophan.

The FDA's advisory panel initially rejected Belviq because of a risk of tumors found in animal studies. And once approved last June, additional safety concerns delayed its release. Moreover, the European Medicines Agency was so concerned about the drug's safety that it rejected the drug. The drug's manufacturer, Arena Pharmaceuticals, recently withdrew its application for the drug's use in Europe."

Hell no. No thanks. I'll do it the old-fashioned way.
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i am cautious of such drugs. they all have side effects (some that don't show up for some time) and what do you plan to do when you get off the drug? in my experience it's best to address the issues underlying the need to overeat. just my opinion. i'm happy you've all lost weight but is this really the way?
  • Gistintime
    Options
    I am 53. I weighed 248 at the star of belviq 1 1/2 weeks ago. I lost 4 1/2 pounds in a week. Have not weighed yet for week 2. I am eating much better. Belviq does help me. But I still struggle with the late night eating... But I think that is really emotional as I KNOW I am NOT hungry but feel compelled to eat. :/ I have not exercised yet. The first week I was tired, sleepy... But that is almost gone now. I am not diabetic that I know of but do have chronic bronchitis but I am noticing an increase in my cough. I took pentermine for 2 days 2 years ago but developed shortness of breath and feet ankle swelling... I decided to try belviq because I have to lose weight to lower my Bp. I have noticed a decrease in my appetite. And for some reason I crave healthier foods. I can still eat mind you. It is NOT some drastic suppressant. It seems mild. I actually wish it was stronger in that area. I too worry about unknown long term side effects but I also worry about my BP running a steady 160 to 170 and dropping dead from a stroke or heart attack. I have noticed I don't reach for butter and some other unhealthy foods like I did. I pray it helps me. I will keep you all posted.
  • ebwiley
    Options
    I agree with you. I think everyone has to make their own choices. It is working well for me. I see it as a short-term help to get my started and get me focused on healthier eating habits. So far, that is exactly what's happening to me. I have had no side effects at all, so I am fortunate.

Good luck to you. Listen to your own body and your doctor.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Forum marketing please go. At least two people in this thread have never used the forum once except to talk about Belviq. :P
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    From Consumer reports last year...
    Weight-loss pill Belviq is now available, but we say skip it
    Consumer Reports News: June 13, 2013 02:08 PM

A year after receiving approval by the Food and Drug Administration, the new weight-loss drug Belviq is finally available by prescription. But you may not want to rush out and get it. It's only approved for people who are obese, with a body-mass index of 30 or more, or who are overweight, with a BMI between 27 and 30, and also have diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol. But our medical advisers say skip the drug, and lose weight other ways. Here's why:

Slim results. People who take the drug for a year can expect to lose just 3 to 3.7 percent of their weight, and may gain the weight back, research suggests. In one trial, patients taking Belviq did lose up to 5 percent of their body weight after 12 months, but gained back 25 percent of it by the end of the second year.

Risks galore.

What's more, the drug can cause several side effects including, headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, dry mouth, and constipation. If you have diabetes, add hypoglycemia, back pain, and a cough to that list. The drug's label also states that Belviq may cause a slowed heartbeat, heart valve problems, painful erections, and if you take more than is prescribed, hallucinations, euphoria, and slowed thinking. Those last risks promoted the Drug Enforcement Agency to classify the drug as a Schedule IV controlled substance, meaning that it poses a slight risk of dependence. Finally, Belviq may also interact adversely with other medications you take, such as drugs used to treat depression, migraines, or colds, and supplements, such as St. John's wort and tryptophan.

The FDA's advisory panel initially rejected Belviq because of a risk of tumors found in animal studies. And once approved last June, additional safety concerns delayed its release. Moreover, the European Medicines Agency was so concerned about the drug's safety that it rejected the drug. The drug's manufacturer, Arena Pharmaceuticals, recently withdrew its application for the drug's use in Europe.

We've long cautioned against taking quick-fix weight-loss drugs like Belviq, and Qsymia--that was also approved by the FDA last year--as well as supplements, because their benefits are usually minimal, and their adverse effects can be troublesome. Instead, skip the pills, and lose weight the safer, tried-and-true way--by eating less and exercising. Read more about smarter ways to get to a healthier weight and find a diet plan that's right for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!