What motivates you to exercise?

meganrae1988
meganrae1988 Posts: 9
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I am wondering what motivates each of you to exercise? What is that kick in the butt for you?

Replies

• a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    depends on the day...i love the feeling when i get home and i know i accomplished something good for myself :) but honestly a lot of the time what gets me off my butt to go exercise is knowing that i'm earning extra calories for more yummy food during the day...haha sad but true :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I am wondering what motivates each of you to exercise? What is that kick in the butt for you?

For me it is:

1) Burns the calories for my weightloss
    2) Keeps me fit and gets my heart beating
    3) I enjoy it, even more so as I am losing the weight, it is getting easier yay! :happy:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    but honestly a lot of the time what gets me off my butt to go exercise is knowing that i'm earning extra calories for more yummy food during the day...haha sad but true :)

HAHAHA EXACTLY!!!!!!! More food= YAY!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Feels so great after its done!!!! and the scale - (when it moves down lol)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    1) I hate being fat more than I hate running nowhere fast
    2) I love the extra calories I can eat
    3) I feel amazing for the rest of the day after I go to the gym. So much so that on days I don't get in there I start feeling anxious and make plans to get in later :)
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
    i used to hate running, but once I started working toward a goal of running in races, that's what motivated me. I didn't want to be the last one coming in at a 5k. The more I run, the more I love it, and the more races I want to participate in.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I've always liked it but it helps that I get to eat more food. There is no way for me to stay at 1200 calories a day without feeling like I was going to starve to death.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 642 Member
    I am 37 and a Captain at the Fire Dept with a bunch of 20 year olds. I like to see them struggle to keep up with me and a few others who are also 37 or older. I love a new challenge which is why I utilize crossfit type workouts, I hated running but now I run all the time just because all the younger guys were better runners than me. I wanted to lose weight and drop bodyfat. I was 214 lbs in January, this morning was 188. My bodyfat also dropped from 21% in January to 12% (handheld bf monitor).
    In my profession heart attack is the number one firefighter killer, not fires or smoke inhalation, heart attacks! So I am motivated to workout for my health, for my family and to set a good example for my coworkers.
  • wendalin4
    wendalin4 Posts: 57 Member
    My reward outfit....I bought this shirt like 3 years ago and it was a bit snug when i bought it so i figured oh i'll focus on loosing weight so i can wear it. Its nothing fancy just a cute shirt and i have shorts from before i had both my kids that i want to wear with it. Every so often i'll put them on as a way of checking my progress...I can now pull the shorts up all the way just not button & zip them yet and the shirt is starting to fit down over my waist where it belongs. My goal is to be in the outfit by the of September. It just keeps me going because I can see the difference more here then I can on the scale.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    The way I feel after I'm done.
    I feel like I have made an acomplishment!
    I feel so much more alive.
    More energy.
    Frozen yogurt...
  • I am so in it for the food. LOL I can't seem to maintain my caloric goal unless i exercise... I come close... but unless i exercise, I'd never meet the goal
  • ame337
    ame337 Posts: 27
    I have had a hard time as well. But I know if I exercise I will lose the weight I've been trying to lose.
    As stupid as it sounds I have resorted to buying myself a "treat" when I lose the 10lbs I've wanted to lose- of course there is more, but thats a start. So if I lose the 10lbs I buy something nice for myself.. if I gain it back I'm no longer allowed to have it.

sit and think WHY you want to lose weight, those will help motivate you to work out. atleast it works for me
  • I am motivated to exercise because it reduces my stress level tremendously! I also love to feel my body working - it is an amazing machine. I love the results I get and most of all - I love the way it makes me feel. I work out in the morning, the first thing I do. It gets me in the right frame of mind, gives me all kinds of energy and it's so nice to go into my day knowing I've already done my routine.

I love, love, love it!
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    It's the only time I get to listen to my music and dance around with no one watching.:happy:
  • Now that I am seeing SERIOUS results, it makes me feel more encouraged to keep going!
  • I get to eat a more. I'm not sure if I could stick to this if I didn't get that little bit of extra gratification.
    The other thing is I am 54 with a 14 year old son and was really having some serious health issues. Changing my diet and walking has really improved my health and stamina.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    I love the way it makes me after and look......I tell myself to act like a skinny person.....Would a skinny girl do this?....And yes because this is a lifestyle change it sometimes is so I can eat that treat.
  • sereney
    sereney Posts: 69 Member
    I have been ready to make some changes for a while, and finally have put my mind to it. I am very stubborn, so I am not giving up. I think one of the greatest motivators is seeing a few of my close friends dropping weight and looking fabulous. I want to feel that way as well. I have three friends that have each lost close to 50 or more pounds. It was time for me to get on the band wagon. When I get compliments that I am looking good, it helps build the confidence and helps me want to keep going in the right direction :tongue:
  • lukat
    lukat Posts: 10 Member
    I definitely feel better about myself and in control of my life when I am exercising. But lately I decided to switch it up a lot. I don't do the same cardio two days in a row, so I am always trying something new. I'm a bit overzealous about this sort of thing, so I actually assigned each type of cardio a number (1-treadmill/jogging, 2-elliptical, 3-rowing, 4-cardio class, etc), and use a random number generator to pick which I will do each morning. If I don't keep it interesting I will stop!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    I definitely work for the extra calories that I'll be able to eat later in the day.

I'm doing the C25K program, so everyday I run a bit more I know is one more day being closer of being able to run 5k without stopping!

I also love the feeling afterwards. I feel light, like I've melted fat away within those 50 minutes or so. I really believe in the endorphins being released when you exercise to give you that feel-good feeling.
This discussion has been closed.