How is 1770 calories so little food?

Options

Replies

• DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You get used to eating smaller portions. I can't even finish what I used to eat before. Like a whole pizza plus dessert, now I eat about half to 3/4 of the pizza and that's plenty.

Also one thing that helped me is to pay attention to that feeling of satisfaction. Notice when you start feeling full, don't continue eating to the point you are stuffed.

And protein is more filling than carbs.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I couldnt even figure out what the question originally was so im not surprised by the responses you got.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    People want to see what you are eating so they can give ideas as to what you can change so you dont HAVE to give up the things you enjoy. I learned to adjust my diet so if I so choose, I can have a martini or scotch after work most nights.

But all you want to do is complain about the advice given and only look for 'psychological support'

Ok... here goes. Pull up your big girl panties and realize that this is a change you are making to change something you dont like about yourself. If you think of giving up wine and cheese as a sacrifice, good luck in your weight loss - because you are sabotaging yourself. You are trying to get healthier. Maybe less wine would help.

Better?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Not asking what I am doing wrong, I am losing. finally getting started on the right path but I am not feeling it yet.

I am asking how to feel good and find a new friend in all of this. A new friend besides food. Let`s be honest depriving yourself of things you love never feels fun at first. does it??? How do you change a habit, just flip a switch??? You all seem so sure of yourselves for whatever reason. Sure enough to put people down when they ask a question.
    The people who have the greatest success at fat loss from both a compliant and happiness standpoint are those who structure their dietary and exercise habits during a deficit to closely mirror how they'd live during maintenance. The people who struggle the most are those whose deficit phase is in complete contrast to how they desire to live during maintenance. In other words, don't adopt and maintain policies and behaviors that you can't abide by long-term.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    OP, I hear you loud and clear. For me, the new friend is the fitness. It just made sense. I needed a new outlet for my "passions" of good food, cooking, eating, socializing around food and I needed fitness. Kill two birds with one stone.

I indulge my fitness like I did my food. With abandon. I wanted a new elliptical, I got it. I wanted Wii Fit, but didn't even have the Nintendo or a Tv to support it. I made it my goal.

Whatever it takes to indulge yourself in the passion of fitness, allow it as soon as is feasible in your schedule/budget without making negative impacts on you or your family. Make it #1 priority over the vacation, the cool boots, whatever. Indulge whatever you want to do for fun that makes you move. A new bike. A getaway hiking vacation. Whatever.

And with the food, become a food snob. Sooooo picky about the quality of what you will be willing to log/eat and then the pursuit becomes part of the fun. Cooking from scratch the perfect barbecue because you can't settle. Finding the gourmet cheese you love so much that one or three ounces of it is soul-satisfying and redeems you for awhile. Don't eat cheap CVS chocolate, but find or make a real truffle instead. You'll find the higher in quality you go, the more mileage you will get out of your log too.

And just realize it's a process. Every day gets easier and every meal more fulfilling on many levels. Your body changing will really fuel you on as well. Hang in there.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hmm....asks for advice about intake....
    ...gets offended when advice is offered based on diary....
    ...seems legit.

No question about intake. What may I ask is legit or not legit on forums? Not a troll, asked a psychological question. Arrrgh!!!!

Hmmm overly judgemental without reading OP.

Um ok :huh: :yawn:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The thing is, WHAT you eat DOES make a difference on how easy or difficult it is to stick to a caloric goal. If I eat 400 calories worth of ice cream, or chips or (people asked about quick calories for this reason)...I'm still hungry because it's neither filling or nutritious. But if I eat 400 calories worth of chicken and veggies then I not only have a full belly, but my body is more satisfied because I'm getting more of what my body needs. So, yes, PART of learning to eat within your goal is psychological, but it's ALSO a lot about what you eat. People truly were trying to help. Also...you said something about losing less than a pound last week...depending on your starting weight, that could be perfectly normal. Is your profile pic current? Because you don't look very heavy...typically, only those with a lot to lose will lose any faster than .5-1lb a week. Even if you do have a lot to lose, weight loss isnt linear...you might lose nothing this week...2 next week...1 the next...even if you do the same thing each week.
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I`m really sorry I ever opened my diary. I was asking for motivational help. Many of your sarcastic comments about quick adds, as if your sure I can not be correct in the calorie count by reading labels and just not bothering to search the food name. You do realize they print calories on labels no?

I am looking for motivation to change how much I eat, my question was how does one get their brain around eating smaller portions. I realize an ounce of chicken is a lot less than I thought. doesn`t that give you the idea that I am weighing my food.

I really want to give those who critiqued my diary a big sarcastic thanks!

It`s a psychological thing. Not really a nutrition thing, another reason it is in the motivation section and not the general diet and weight loss help.

What I want to know is when the scale goes down so slowly, little by the little, the way I hear it is supposed to, what do you do to keep your motivation.

If you love food and wine, like I do, what do you do in place that is fun?

That's just it, you can eat a HUGE plate of food, with foods you are used to in smaller portions and other foods in larger portions and feel completely satisfied. That's why people are asking to see your diary. Some of us who have been at this for years and years, may have tips to make the most out of what you are eating, but we have no idea what you are eating, so it is hard to give advice. I read through most of the comments and I think a lot of people are being completely serious. It is hard to help, without know what you are eating. Example - if you love sausages, we might have some really great brands of chicken sausages that you might want to try - you can eat like 4 of those for the same calories and less fat than a pork sausage - that's more food with a better ratio of maros.

And, your macros really dictate whether you will be hungry at the end of the day or not. You need protein and good fat to feel satisfied. Seeing your diary would tell us if you are getting those and would lead to a more informed reply.

I LOVE food and wine. Love it, Love it, Love it! I've learned to make the most of my meals and limit my wine to special occasions, but that's b/c I'm focusing on losing body fat %. You can still enjoy wine in moderation, just know that it is going to take away from your nutritionally dense food and often (at least for me) after a glass or two of wine I find myself reaching for food I would normally not eat! Sabotaging all of my hard work!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Good Morning OP, I know how you feel. Food IS a friend and it totally fills a void, and in fact chewing stimulates serotonin so eating DOES make you feel good. If it didn't no one would even be on this site, right?

I know a lot of people give themselves "cheat" days as a sort of reward system. Obviously you want to choose the "right" foods to get your daily intake of proper nutrition - if I could I would eat wine and chocolate to get my 1700 everyday!!

What else makes you happy like eating does? Besides smoking!! :-) Here is a really good blog about the psychology of eating, and they have a class through Ethos if you can afford it. http://psychologyofeating.com/blog/ipe-blog/

Losing slow is OK!!!!! I have lost my weight sooooooooooo slowly that sometimes it is really discouraging and the negative voice who lives in my head pops out and says "See? Look how hard you work and look how you are depriving yourself of the things you "love" and nothing changes. What;s the point? You're married, Who cares..." I tell her to shut up and go away because I care!

Look at it as a lifestyle change (which you are) and that in order to GET something you obviously have to GIVE something. I would rather lose the weight slowly and know that this is a way I can live for the rest of my life, and I totally give myself cheat days, for sure. I did yesterday! I had 2 beers and a piece of birthday cake.

So my long winded answer is: 1. It's a marathon, not a sprint, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet 2. Give yourself "cheat" days to enjoy the things you LOVE, like wine and cheese. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Yes it will cause slower weight loss but who cares? You don't want to gain it back! 3. Reward yourself in other ways for your accomplishments.

:flowerforyou:
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I am not sure what you are doing wrong, but I have been at this for a week now, and I am a big dude at 6'2'' and I am starting to have trouble as well eating all my 2000 calories. I think you need calorically dense whole foods. One of the members here who lost a lot of weight said one of the things that helped was that he ate food with as few ingredients as possible, meaning natural whole foods that are naturally more calorically and nutritionally dense.

Also, if you ask for advice and people try to give it, don't get mad or discouraged when you don't like the answer they are giving. If you need a hug and a pat on the back to get you on track then ask of that, but I don't think this is the place to have people blow smoke up your back side either. If you want them to help then you have to be open to honest feedback.

Not asking what I am doing wrong, I am losing. finally getting started on the right path but I am not feeling it yet.

I am asking how to feel good and find a new friend in all of this. A new friend besides food. Let`s be honest depriving yourself of things you love never feels fun at first. does it??? How do you change a habit, just flip a switch??? You all seem so sure of yourselves for whatever reason. Sure enough to put people down when they ask a question.

Dieting sucks but being a size 16 sucked more. I spent 6 months eating about your calories (1750ish for me). The first 6-8 weeks I felt little deprivation because I was now eating significantly more protein than prior to dieting and it took my body some time to get used to it. The reason people are commenting on your use of quick add calories (I haven't looked at your diary) is probably because they want to see how you are dividing up your macros. Protein and fats help you to feel fuller longer than carbs.

The gym became my new friend instead of pastries. If you could call a food that helped contribute to my 43" waist, my high blood pressure and my reflux a friend.

Once my body got used to the higher protein intake, I was hungry all.the.time. Running long distances helped keep me sane. A 10 mile run once a week allowed me a high volume food day. I still ended with a 500 calorie deficit but being able to eat an extra 900 calories on my long run days allowed me to indulge in foods that I normally couldn't.

Also realize that this is temporary. Once you hit your target and switch to maintenance you will have more calories to play around with.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

I am not sure what you are doing wrong, but I have been at this for a week now, and I am a big dude at 6'2'' and I am starting to have trouble as well eating all my 2000 calories. I think you need calorically dense whole foods. One of the members here who lost a lot of weight said one of the things that helped was that he ate food with as few ingredients as possible, meaning natural whole foods that are naturally more calorically and nutritionally dense.

Also, if you ask for advice and people try to give it, don't get mad or discouraged when you don't like the answer they are giving. If you need a hug and a pat on the back to get you on track then ask of that, but I don't think this is the place to have people blow smoke up your back side either. If you want them to help then you have to be open to honest feedback.

if you're that hungry at 1700 calories there is something wrong though and it's something people can give good advice on if they can see what your diet consists of.

I am going to guess super high carb, with low fat and protein are the problem. Carbs leave you hungry because of sugar spikes. Fake sugar gives the same hunger cues to the brain as regular sugar. it actually makes it worse because your body is expecting the sugar and primes for it but there is nothing there which cues more hunger cravings.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Example - if you love sausages, we might have some really great brands of chicken sausages that you might want to try - you can eat like 4 of those for the same calories and less fat than a pork sausage - that's more food with a better ratio of maros..

Oh great point! Some things I've found that follow this idea:
    Joseph's whole wheat, oat, flax pita bread. 60 cals, good mount of protein, low on the carbs. They also make a yummy lavash.
    Like creamy salad dressing? Use low/no-fat Greek yoghurt as a base, mix in balsamic vinegar or mustard or one of those flavor packs that usually ask for sour cream.
    I LOVE granola, and there's really no getting around the calories and carbs but "Kind" brand granola is significantly lower in calories and sugar than most other brands I have found.

So off the top of my head, there's 3 foods I love, and I can "afford" to have them more frequently because I've found lower calorie substitutes.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's probably equivalent to the psychological process you went through when you quit smoking. It takes patience and determination.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I find that working out makes me happy. Our gym is lucky enough to have a sauna, so I usually hit that up at the end of a workout. It makes it feel like a retreat rather than a work-out.

I've given up wine M-F. One day on the weekend I'll have a glass (or 2 or 3), and not stress about it going over my calories. If I've been good all week, then the 300 extra won't kill me on the weekend. And this keeps me happy.

Just one more thing, and please don't take this as a personal attack- it's not. I would look into what you are eating (it is your choice, and no one else's). I am eating between 1200-1400 per day, plus more if I've worked out. I did have to give up some of the stuff I used to love, but by choice when I realized how calorie-ridden they were.

Now I may have these for a treat once in a while, and stick to other yummy and healthier options the rest of the time.

As for cheap, healthy options, I love the blog: A Girl Called Jack!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You made the comment that it felt like you'd lost a friend when you had to cut back on your food. It sounds like you have a relationship with food that needs to be changed. Food is not a friend that you can go to when you're sad, lonely, stressed, etc. Food can't help you solve your problems or keep you company. I turned to food for those things for a long time and it took some deep soul searching on my part to stop that way of thinking.

We talk a lot about 'lifestyle change' on this site and that's partially true. But for those of us who have had an unhealthy relationship with food, it's more than that. It's self discovery and healing.

I encourage you to start keeping a journal and record what you're feeling when you want to reach out for food. You need to understand the difference between physical hunger and emotional hunger. Figuring out why I ate was a huge factor in overcoming my weight issues.

In addition, find physical activities that you enjoy doing so that exercise isn't a chore, it's something you look forward to. Challenge yourself and celebrate when you do something you didn't think you could do. Allow yourself to feel good about new accomplishments.

Make some friends on this site who have similar goals or stories. Reach out to them when you're feeling weak or frustrated. Don't get offended when people critique your diary or give you direct feedback. They really are just trying to help and most of them have been in your shoes and understand what worked and what didn't.
  • LeighRaeW
    LeighRaeW Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have a look at my food diary (it's open for anyone to view). I'm on 1720 calories and have found sticking to it fairly easy (except yesterday, when I gave myself the evening off as I was at a friends wedding. I'll go under for a few days to balance this out over the week).
    It might give you some ideas or guidance about what you could change. Good luck.

I forgot to mention, my diet is pescatarian (no meat except fish).
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    didn`t ask for advice about intake. Hitting intake targets. Asked about how to feel better about stopping doing something you love and what to do to fill the void. Motivation and support. Not negativity and discouragement.

Again, psychological question. Not about intake!!!!!!!

For me, I just had to make the decision to do whatever it took, to get the weight off. Yes, I love carbs, fried chicken, sweets, stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut, etc. And it pisses me off sometimes that I truly maintain my weight at 1500-1600. Yeah, I said that was my MAINTENANCE. so to lose even a half pound a week means I must stay around 1300 cals per day. Try working in treats on THAT level.
    I didn't accept the fact that years ago when I ended up in a wheelchair, unable to work, that I would have to drastically lower my calories. So the weight creeped up. I mean, it was only 10 lbs, that's nothing. Then it was 20 lbs, ok I can get that off, then 8 yrs later I was looking at 80 lbs overweight and completely overwhelmed.
    Then my mom died from type 2 diabetes, and reality hit me in the face like Miley's wrecking ball.
    Watching her slowly die as her organs failed one after another, was the hardest thing I have ever done. Knowing she could have avoided it, if only she would have chosen life and her family over her cookies and crackers,made it even worse.

Yeah, life is not fair and it sucks.

I'm not a drinker, but I would love a big bowl of ice cream before bed every night. Throw a brownie in with it and I am in Heaven.

But I can't do that. Not unless I want to put my children and grandchildren thru the horror that my mother did.

For you, you will need to find a reason to do this, that means more to you than the food and wine.

Not diagnosing here, but look at your wine consumption and see if you may be starting to have an addiction to it.
    Perhaps it is just a warm habit at this point, but could eventually turn into an addiction if you are not careful.
    Try having a cup of hot chocolate, or decaf tea or coffee in the evenings to see if that is just as relaxing.
    Or start cutting back a little at a time, to slowly wean yourself off of it.

It all comes down to choices. What is good health worth to you?

We understand it is not easy. If it was, there wouldn't be an obesity problem in the US and other countries.
    Hang in there.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options

if you're that hungry at 1700 calories there is something wrong though and it's something people can give good advice on if they can see what your diet consists of.

I am going to guess super high carb, with low fat and protein are the problem. Carbs leave you hungry because of sugar spikes. Fake sugar gives the same hunger cues to the brain as regular sugar. it actually makes it worse because your body is expecting the sugar and primes for it but there is nothing there which cues more hunger cravings.

I am not really hungry, I use food and wine as a reward. Most nights it`s fine but I still feel the loss of my go to relax time. It was like an excuse to relax. Otherwise I never take that time. It is a good lesson that I was using food to make me happy instead of appreciating my family (kids) or just really enjoying the t.v. program I`m watching. I guess so many of you don`t have emotional issues with food and are or were overweight because of SAD, (standard american diet)

Yes, I need to lose only 20 lbs. I live in Japan and cook almost all of my food at home. I rarely eat out and exercise regularly. I very rarely eat processed foods. I got very overweight from pregnancy, years ago now. But have technically been overweight since college. I used to log everything but when you use a lot of different veg and stir fry sauces it can be sooo tedious. I always make sure I am as close as possible and err on the side of over. I was eating too much to lose before, but I was very good at maintaining. I also got confused as to my TDEE from trying the EMTWL method. I was too naive to understand how very bad my math was and that I needed a simpler approach. I tried eat more to weigh less but I was already eating too much. So I gained only on MFP so far. Finally now I am losing but it`s only been a few weeks and I am not confident it will continue. I am sure from so many of your posts that if I only continue I will get the hang of it.

Yes, I do love high calorie foods but have already reduced them. I guess over all advice is to suck it up till I get used to it. Some of you have found a substitute for your previous food love, I just haven`t found mine yet.

I just figured out that MFP calories are gross and not net for calories burned. If I set the correct activity level then eat back my exercise cal, which I did last week I lost less. That must be it for that. The first week I used a pedometer only to log calories, that must have been more accurate for the amount of work done. I`ll do that again next week.

It is so interesting how everyone reacts to a question in different ways. Some are patient and kind and some are dismissive. Whatever, you have your opinion and I asked for advice. Some go for tough love, and some try to explain. I guess this is who they are at home too.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    You made the comment that it felt like you'd lost a friend when you had to cut back on your food. It sounds like you have a relationship with food that needs to be changed. Food is not a friend that you can go to when you're sad, lonely, stressed, etc. Food can't help you solve your problems or keep you company. I turned to food for those things for a long time and it took some deep soul searching on my part to stop that way of thinking.

We talk a lot about 'lifestyle change' on this site and that's partially true. But for those of us who have had an unhealthy relationship with food, it's more than that. It's self discovery and healing.

Yes, I think this is what I need. I think food and wine, is a reward for a long day. I need something else that I love just as much. I don`t know what that is yet. And I have made myself feel bad about my body my who life. First family members did it for me and then I did it to myself. I`ve read many books on the subject and am only now starting to get to the root of my body hatred. It really is a tough process.