Polar loop - reviews? To buy or not ?

Options

Replies

• RAwoBoundaries904
    Options
    I have the Polar Loop and don't regret it one bit. I've tried several before this was released. It fits all of my needs and I like the fact that I can track how active I am during the day, swim with it and workout at the gym with one device.
  • RAwoBoundaries904
    Options
    I have been using my Polar Loop for a week now. The big part of my decision in getting a Loop is the that it's a Polar product. I also love the fact that it is waterproof, has a display and monitors your heart rate with the optional H7 strap that I also bought. This is not my first tracker that I have owned so my expectations for the Polar Loop were higher than they normally would be. I'm happy to say that as usual, Polar DID NOT let me down. The build quality is very good and the Loop is so comfortable to wear everyday that I sometimes forget that I have it on. I also love how it sync's with no problems with my Mac and iPhone5.

Pros:
    Monitors heart rate (with the optional H7 transmitter and strap set)
    Has a beautiful display
    Great quality product
    Very comfortable
    Waterproof
    Has a Polar Flow iOS app that is free
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for 2 weeks now. I like it, but have no idea how accurate it is. I'm thinking about maybe wearing my F4 for a day and see how the readings compare as far as calorie burns. I hated the F4, so I never used it.

Don't waste time on the calorie burn - as the formula for the F4 relating HR to calorie burn was never intended for anything outside steady state aerobic exercise.
    Which daily life isn't even up in to that range yet normally, about 90 bpm.
    And if you do anything anaerobic, like lifting or sprints, which is also opposite of steady state HR for 2-4 min, would be invalid too.

If it's anywhere close, it's coincidental, but proves nothing regarding accuracy.

More interesting will be if average HR for the day or a block of time matches when you have both on.
  • jellybean482004
    jellybean482004 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the polar loop, after being very torn between the nike-fuel and fitbit. I previously and still own a Polar F6 which I have been very happy with however was only using when doing fitness. Untill a month ago, I didn`t now that I could wear it while swimming. I love aquafit and is my primary form of exercise . My girlfriends are nike fuel band users, and I was feeling that might be the way to go as to have motivational support of them and of course the competition component. But when I saw the polar loop it sold me as it was waterproof. I`ve work both loop and F6 over the last week just to see re accuracy and they are pretty much similar when it comes to calories expended during fitness activities. I just ordered a H7 strap which hopefully will arrive today. I love the fact about the reaching daily goals. last evening I was short a bit so I jumped on the treadmill till it reached `GOAL`. The goal for steps is preset at 15,000 steps and downside is that you can individualize it for yourself....settings are preset. Perhaps will be ablel to someday with polar sync.....the website needs some work, but hopefully with feedbacks that`ll happen .
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the polar loop, after being very torn between the nike-fuel and fitbit. I previously and still own a Polar F6 which I have been very happy with however was only using when doing fitness. Untill a month ago, I didn`t now that I could wear it while swimming. I love aquafit and is my primary form of exercise . My girlfriends are nike fuel band users, and I was feeling that might be the way to go as to have motivational support of them and of course the competition component. But when I saw the polar loop it sold me as it was waterproof. I`ve work both loop and F6 over the last week just to see re accuracy and they are pretty much similar when it comes to calories expended during fitness activities. I just ordered a H7 strap which hopefully will arrive today. I love the fact about the reaching daily goals. last evening I was short a bit so I jumped on the treadmill till it reached `GOAL`. The goal for steps is preset at 15,000 steps and downside is that you can individualize it for yourself....settings are preset. Perhaps will be ablel to someday with polar sync.....the website needs some work, but hopefully with feedbacks that`ll happen .

I haven't had a chance to see if they compared calorie wise so good to know. I wore by Loop for a couple weeks and sent it back. Just got a new one but haven't started wearing again. Just sticking with my F11 until I get a chance to cut it. My steps were only set at 10,000. I think the sets are determined by what you program in your profile but I'm not sure about that. I agree about the website. I wish it was more user friendly. And I hope the Android app comes out soon although if the website is now working correctly I don't mind uploading that way.
  • bergee1
    Options
    I have tried, Jawbone, Loop and Fitbit Flex.

I would say that, I like the 3 very much. They all have their ups and down.

I also have a Mio watch that I paired very easily with my Polar loop, so to me this is be the best (loop + mil watch) fit since I can have the steps, calories and HRM all in one.

The Loop is very nice, the only things that need working is the apps and web, I would like to be able to change my goals and to link my account with other products like myfitnesspal.

I compared the steps from the 3 products and they normally are within 200 - 300 steps.

No product is perfect, we just have to make it work, I guess some people will never be happy.

Hope this helps
  • brhon
    brhon Posts: 1
    Options
    I too pre-ordered my Polar Loop. I have a Polar HRM and have been happy, thought this would take my activity tracking to a new automated level. I also bought the new H7 HRM with bluetooth. The Loop in theory is a good device, but the app and web site are poorly designed and releasing a product still in Beta-not a good customer service idea. When contacting them via messaging on facebbok they have been good to respond but that doesnt change the quality of the app and the software behind the scenes. My wife has a FitBit Flex and the unit works flawlessly, i wanted a digital readout and something that was truly waterproof. The Flex has a funny smell on the band because of its design.

I am pretty close to sending my unit back. The pairing process between the phone and app are poor at best. Since their recent shutdown a few days for "improvements" i have not been able to reconnect my phone, the strap or sync my data. Only way to sync is to reconnect it to my MacBook Pro. I am very disappointed at this point.
  • VegasFit
    Options
    I too pre-ordered my Polar Loop. I have a Polar HRM and have been happy, thought this would take my activity tracking to a new automated level. I also bought the new H7 HRM with bluetooth. The Loop in theory is a good device, but the app and web site are poorly designed and releasing a product still in Beta-not a good customer service idea. When contacting them via messaging on facebbok they have been good to respond but that doesnt change the quality of the app and the software behind the scenes. My wife has a FitBit Flex and the unit works flawlessly, i wanted a digital readout and something that was truly waterproof. The Flex has a funny smell on the band because of its design.

I am pretty close to sending my unit back. The pairing process between the phone and app are poor at best. Since their recent shutdown a few days for "improvements" i have not been able to reconnect my phone, the strap or sync my data. Only way to sync is to reconnect it to my MacBook Pro. I am very disappointed at this point.

I would agree the web site needs some work! I had a body media in the past and thought that waa much more user friendly. My understanding is the Loop is waterproof for activities like swimming but not like deep sea diving. I don't link it to my phone at all since there is no app for the droid so I can't speak to that. Have you checked out their FB page. I've seen feedback on there about syncing with the phone.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Any more improvements? I've been holding out to see what the reviews are like for the Android app but I guess I'll have to wait a couple more months for that...

Why is it so hard to find a activity tracker that also accuratley tracks exercise with a HRM, is water proof, syncs with MFP and other apps, and has user friendly mobile and desktop data reporting :(
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Any more improvements? I've been holding out to see what the reviews are like for the Android app but I guess I'll have to wait a couple more months for that...

Why is it so hard to find a activity tracker that also accuratley tracks exercise with a HRM, is water proof, syncs with MFP and other apps, and has user friendly mobile and desktop data reporting :(

I think the Loops major failing is the application and website itself. All of the technical issues seem pretty well resolved for me but the lack if an application that meets current norms for integration and detail is its failing IMO. Polar makes a great product but they are not big in the IE area and I am not sure if they will get there soon.
    The "Digifit" app sync with MFP Withings, most activity trackers other than Polar (LOL) and will take HRM input and has more information than you could ask for. It also offers Cardio tests for fitness to allow you to personalize your own HR zones. So I think if you use that app with another tracker than you only need to worry about water resistance and those are avaliable. The Loop though more like "waterproof' will not transmit to the HRM in water (a limit of Bluetooth standard not the product) but polar does make a HRM for swimming it just does not play with anything else LOL.
  • VegasFit
    Options

I have to say it's actually working and doing what it is supposed to be doing from day one IMO. But I still wish the website was better. Coming from a Bodybugg I would like to see an easier user interface like that one. I know they released an Android app last week but my understanding is that is for if you are using your phone while you exercise. I don't care about that stuff cause my phone is not with me when I exercise and honestly after all the glitches with the Loop I'm not downloading anything to my phone from Polar until i know it works.

I think there are still a few glitches. Like I pushed my button this morning and it said sweet dreams and it was 5:00 in the morning. But I do like that I can wear my chest strap during workouts but I wish there was a button to turn it off and on versus having to hook the H7 to the chest strap and then when done exercising disconnect it. I sometimes forget to do this so I don't get a correct reading of what I burned while working out. Of course I would occasionally do that with my Polar F11 too and forget to hit stop but in this case I'm afraid I'm just going to lose it with the constant connecting/disconnecting it from the strap.

Of all the gadgets I've had the Bodybugg was awesome minus wearing it on my arm all the time and my good old HRM. That being said I think this device looks kind of interesting. http://www.mybasis.com/
  • lbwolf2004
    Options
    Yes. I bought one last week and was deeply disappointed. Don't waste your money!!! I should have taken the time to read the reviews prior to purchasing one. I got the loop and the bf got the HR monitor (H7) for me. Unfortunately, the loop is a pain to use. I cannot get it to pair with my iPhone for the life of me. The APP is worthless. It does not update like it should. So sadly I now own an expensive plastic band that will occasionally give me a count of the number of steps taken and calories burned. When worn with the HR monitor it will provide my heart rate. Only with many attempts to press a flat button that is frustratingly non responsive most of the time.

I am so frustrated I want to demand my money back from Polar!!!!
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The polar loop is a great idea--I do not think it is complete yet.

Polar is scrabbling around to try to keep up with the Fitbit and other body furniture, and the idea is excellent, but the execution is IMO, quite poor.

IT does work, and it works well, but the fiddling to get the strap right sized--excuse me? Karp.

It works really well with the H7 chest strap-which also works really well for me in the pool.

The polar needs an android app quicker than quick, not everyone uses Apple.

I've used Polar since it came out. They had advantages with the tech that no one had, and they changed model every five minutes in order to churn, and changing batteries used to be a total PITA. Other outfits have caught up and Polar have to work to get things improved and cheaper. Less churn, or they'll die.

This kit looks as if it it will tick a lot of those boxes, and the bluetooth is neat. Battery life--five days on the loop? What? LOL, laughable:)

This is Beta Kit and software. It will be excellent in time and to be fair, it ain't terribly expensive.

I have a fitbit flex, which is a really nice piece of kit that works and goes across platforms-I'd have bought a Fitbit Force in a heartbeat, but it don't work in the water-MAD decision.

Hence the Loop.

This is a developing market and no one has it right yet, but if I remember correctly, my first Polar HRM cost me close to $900 and I was as fascinated with the technology now as I was then.

Good luck.

brendan
  • schirico1964
    Options
    I've been using the Polar Loop for about a week now. I love it. I like it better than the fitbit force, because it can track my swimming (I haven't done that yet) and it connects to an HRM - which I've used the H7 from Polar twice now (2 hours total) with no issues.

To pair the H7, simply put it on, and put the watch near it, it pairs automatically in about 5 seconds.

the trickiest part is cutting the band to fit right, and I wanted to be careful, so I made it too big and slowly cut off one segment at a time...after 3 times, it fits just fine. The reports are fine - I like how it knows if I'm doing low, medium, or high intensity work as well...I find tha accurate.

it would see that 2 nights during the week there is no data for about 2 hours...not sure why, but other than, that - glitch free.

Battery lasts as advertised, about 5 days and then takes 30 minutes or so to charge.
  • kthejoker20
    kthejoker20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    THought I would post to help people out. I to really struggled getting the polar loop to pair with an h6 heart monitor.

But I figured out how to get it to pair.

It takes patience. It's not easy like they claim.

Wet the strap, then mount it on your chest, then place sensor on strap.

Next, press and hold the polar loop button until the time is displayed, DO NOT LET GO. wait until the display shuts off.

Then repeat this process, it took about 30 times, but it finally paired. YOU WILL SEE THE WORD "PAIR" when you see then, let go of the button again.
  • apacherider
    apacherider Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

Was reading all your posts and decided to share what I experience with the Polar.

I have been using the Polar Loop for about 3 weeks now and I dont have any battery issues as it would last for 5 days. The Loop will be on my left left hand and the only time I take it off is to charge the unit which will take 30 min from completely drained to 100%. Soon after I will wer the Loop again

As for pairing with the H7 I don't have any issues at I will only take 5sec to pair it with the Loop. I also pair the H7 with the Polar beat app on my iPhone 4s and it works beautifully. The only issues is your are not able to pair the Polar Loop with the Polar Beat App and the H7 together as it will only work with 1 device or 1 App at a time.

The other issue I was having was I had to key the Passcode when ever I sync the Loop with the Polar Flow App. Today I had a message that there was a new firmware update on the Polar and it will solve te Pairing issue. I updated the Polar Loop and notice that the pairing was much quicker and I only have to keyin the Passcode once and it will synch to the Polar Flow app. That's a wounderful as it solved my issue of keyin the Passcode all the time. To sych I only need to press the button once.

Also, I wish that te Polar apps could integrate with other fitness apps so as to keep track. As of now there isn't any. Also, the Polar apps don't reconsolidate te data especially if the calories comes from my FT80, Polar Beat connected to Polar H7 HRM and also if the H7 is connected to the Polar Loop.

If your using a Polar FT80, you will have a issue of getting the H7 to sync with the Polat FT80 as you will need to remove the Battery from te Polar H7 and wait 10sec and place te Battry back and only then it will connect te H7 tote Polar FT80. I am not sure why it has this issues as it may be because the Polar FT80 does not have Smart Bluetooth as it uses a different protocol to sync to the H7 HRM.

Hope this will help the rest who are deciding to buy the Polar Loop.

To sum up, it's a good product but needs to be tuned to keep up with the others and I am sure Polar will do that.

Best Regards :smile:
  • ariesxtreme
    Options
    Okay, so I bought this for the bf for xmas and I'm a bit more tech saavy than he is so on here to ask a few questions. I myself have the Polar FT60 and love it and the loop is definitely different from that.

For one, he doesn't really wear it all day unless it's the weekend. Is there a way to reset it as he wears it to the gym and then wants to track calories and steps burned there. Or only way is to plug it in and synchronize it every time. Also why does it start you off at 699 calories rather than zero?

TIA,

Julie
  • VegasFit
    Options
    Okay, so I bought this for the bf for xmas and I'm a bit more tech saavy than he is so on here to ask a few questions. I myself have the Polar FT60 and love it and the loop is definitely different from that.

For one, he doesn't really wear it all day unless it's the weekend. Is there a way to reset it as he wears it to the gym and then wants to track calories and steps burned there. Or only way is to plug it in and synchronize it every time. Also why does it start you off at 699 calories rather than zero?

TIA,

Julie

To track activity just at the gym he needs to be wearing the H7 chest strap with it. As far as I know that's the only way to track a set period of time. I haven't noticed the 699 but I would say if he were wearing it properly and upon waking up he got that number it would be what he burned during sleep. It sounds like for his use he needs a regular HRM.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

TIA,

Julie

Read more about so you understand how it works, and perhaps he will be interested.
    Or can try to use it in a different way to get what he wants out of it.

Perhaps you are wanting an all-day tracker? The HRM ability is mere optional improvement, not required.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/polar-depth-review.html

Reading that review, you'll have to go online to Polar's site to filter that time of the actual workout, to see any stats regarding HR for it. If no HRM, same filter to get an idea of stats on that time, knowing if it ain't step based, any calorie burn info could be way off.
  • ariesxtreme
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I got him this because i thought it was an easier thing to wear for him that is rather than strapping on a HR monitor along with a watch. I need more accurate readings, hence why I have the FT60 so thought this would be more of a general thing for him.

Not sure why it starts out with calories already when I sync it. I didnt find the manual nor the site too helpful, but will probably look again, not thinking I should have just gotten him a tradition HR monitor.