Polar loop - reviews? To buy or not ?

Options

Replies

• fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've had the opposite experience.

For the last few days, I've been wearing a Fitbit Force and a Loop on the same wrist. They turn in very similar step counts except when I walk at an aerobic pace. Then the Fitbit falls apart and fails to count about 35% of my steps. I posted some information on this in a Force User's group that I created yesterday. Check that out for more detail.
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    anyone help me set up a group for this on MFP.
  • fyoung1111
    Options
    anyone help me set up a group for this on MFP.

A group for what?
  • Filmoi
    Options
    An update from Down-Under to keep you in the Loop.

I decided to give the Loop another go having gone back to my FitBit Flex despite my initial POLARising fail with the loop.

Well with the benefit of hindsight the loop is as bad as I thought it was when I first got it. The software is atrocious and strangely, when I sync to the computer the time on the Loop is correct, but when it syncs to the iPhone, it changes by 30 mins.... and yes the phone syncs to the pc and both show the same time. Go Figure!

Having said that, as a device it looks great and the build quality is excellent. Cut your own bracelet is a bit daft but I get the rationale. (Fitbit Bracelets deteriorate and cost 50% of the replacement cost of a new unit)

I am going to buy the H7 transmitter because I do want to swim but that isn't a compelling enough reason to buy the loop rather than the FitBit Flex which has excellent software with food / calorie counting and all the bells and whistles.

I am stunned that some application developer hasn't simply found "inspiration" in the Fitbit application and developed something for the Loop, when you do, post it here and we will test it for you.

For now however DON'T buy a LOOP.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options

I am going to buy the H7 transmitter because I do want to swim but that isn't a compelling enough reason to buy the loop rather than the FitBit Flex which has excellent software with food / calorie counting and all the bells and whistles.

Passed my Loop on and am waiting for a Garmin Vivofit in hopes it will do what I expected the Loop to do. I am not sure why you are saying you want an H7 to swim with because the Bluetooth signal will not transmit in the water. When polar says the loop works in the water they did not point out the HR feature does not. Polar does make a watch and chest strap that does work in water but it is an android signal. The H7 does send out tow signals but the android on is "Gymlink" that works with most gym equipment, well is supposed to. I have two and both suffer on the gym signal after a little battery use. I think the Bluetooth signal robs to much power so now I am not using any of Polar's Bluetooth products and warn away from them as well.
  • fyoung1111
    Options
    SJ Con. I do not have personal experience with this but read somewhere that the H7 (which I do have and like very much) is the ONLY Bluetooth HRM to use with swimming. The logic given is that Bluetooth Low Power will NOT penetrate water but the GymLink frequency which the H7 also transmits will. Where this logic may fall apart with the Loop is that, it is my understanding that it only recieves Bluetooth Low Power and NOT Gymlink.

This is what Polar has to say "Using Your Heart Rate Sensor in Water Polar H7 heart rate sensor is water resistant. The GymLink technology can be used in water activities, but Bluetooth® wireless technology will not work in water. Please notice that sea and pool water are very conductive, and electrodes may short-circuit, preventing ECG signals from being detected by the heart rate sensor" from http://www.polar.com/e_manuals/H7_Heart_Rate_Sensor/Polar_H7_Heart_Rate_Sensor_accessory_manual_English.pdf

While I haven't taken my H7 into the water (I just figured out it is waterproof) I've synched it with both my Loop and my iPhone 4s and 5s for use with Runkeeper. It does that very well although it won't synch with both devices at once (fault of the Bluetooth Low Power specificatoin--a slave can only server one master at a time). It also synchs with either iPhone or Loop and cardio machines in the gym simultaneously.

Mine has gotten a lot of use in the three months I have had it and I couldn't be happier. I wish I could say the same for my Loop. I don't understand what Android has to do with any of this.
  • SJCon
    Options
    SJ Con. I do not have personal experience with this but read somewhere that the H7 (which I do have and like very much) is the ONLY Bluetooth HRM to use with swimming. The logic given is that Bluetooth Low Power will NOT penetrate water but the GymLink frequency which the H7 also transmits will. Where this logic may fall apart with the Loop is that, it is my understanding that it only recieves Bluetooth Low Power and NOT Gymlink.

This is what Polar has to say "Using Your Heart Rate Sensor in Water Polar H7 heart rate sensor is water resistant. The GymLink technology can be used in water activities, but Bluetooth® wireless technology will not work in water. Please notice that sea and pool water are very conductive, and electrodes may short-circuit, preventing ECG signals from being detected by the heart rate sensor" from http://www.polar.com/e_manuals/H7_Heart_Rate_Sensor/Polar_H7_Heart_Rate_Sensor_accessory_manual_English.pdf

While I haven't taken my H7 into the water (I just figured out it is waterproof) I've synched it with both my Loop and my iPhone 4s and 5s for use with Runkeeper. It does that very well although it won't synch with both devices at once (fault of the Bluetooth Low Power specificatoin--a slave can only server one master at a time). It also synchs with either iPhone or Loop and cardio machines in the gym simultaneously.

Mine has gotten a lot of use in the three months I have had it and I couldn't be happier. I wish I could say the same for my Loop. I don't understand what Android has to do with any of this.

I meant to say Analog not Android, and the reason aI said the H7 would not work was because he was using it with a Loop. Like I said I have two h7 purchased a couple of month apart and both have a problem with the gymlink signal eventually. My testing says it always works with a new battery but I don't want to put in new batteries one a month.
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Have been using my loop for a month now along with the H7 HRM,

No issues linking the HRM to the loop, but the BT smart system is a major letdown as it wont allow the loop or my phone to work in conjunction with each other. I really do wonder they choose this as a standard it seems very very limiting. I am not adverse to changing a battery every 3 months or recharging every couple of days.

The gym i use will however pick up the HRM signal along with the loop though which is handy for using the set programs on them,

I do swim alot and the loop seems to be fine, the activity bar fills but how accurate this is for swimming i cant comment.

Linking the loop to my PC is fine again no issues.

BUT

The software is useless considering POLAR are meant to be one of the big players in this field, it is laughable i would go as far to say it is some of the worst layout and giver of information i have ever seen. You cant even add a exercise to the diary without wearing a HRM and even then it starts the session from the moment of connection till you take off the HRM.
    The information you get back is also very confusing with no links to the terms used aka sports zones (ok you can google these) various graphs, charts again badly laid out with very little meaning or explanation, they have managed to create something that is very complicated and yet too simplistic with zero functionality or customization.
    (no idea what the phone app is like as i am android user)

No MFP linking (still)

Overall

I like the loop`s general design and build quality is excellent, but with a activity tracker it must be paired with very good software and this is where the loop fails. I would go as far to say the entire development software management needs to be moved onto the pastures new and start again. POLAR FLOW is really really bad in its current state.

It could have been the killer product, but i guess i will have to wait for a product that will do it all.

Track my activity with customization to my own goals or done for me (i want both)

Link with my HRM
    Waterproof
    GPS (switchable on and off for battery saving)
    Link with MFP
    Battery can be fixed or need a recharge every other day. (depending on GPS i guess)
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "I am going to buy the H7 transmitter because I do want to swim but that isn't a compelling enough reason to buy the loop"

The H7 works perfectly in the pool with a Polar S610i, but NOT with the Loop.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

In my book that means it doesn't work.

No response from Customer Service Polar on this issue.

The H7 works well, and does what it says on the tin.

The Loop does not.

brendan
  • brendanstallard
    Options
    "It could have been the killer product, but i guess i will have to wait for a product that will do it all."

SPG71,

What do you suppose went wrong with the Loop?

I reckon Polar got too used to the churn for $500 devices they wanted to sell you every two years.

Fitbit got under the $100 mark and the competition left Polar having to put out a product before it was ready. Lawdy, the software surely is not.

Polar are getting their butts kicked in public-kinda sad, but deserved. The best of their products work really well, but some aspects of their customer service and software need radical overhaul and money spent.

If fitbit can marry HRM data into the little wristpiece or jewellery of the future-that's where it will be at.

brendan
  • brendanstallard
    Options
    " I am not sure why you are saying you want an H7 to swim with because the Bluetooth signal will not transmit in the water. "

SJcon,

This is simply not correct.

I have worn ALL iterations of Polar chest belts from the start of Polar in the early 90's and have always worn them in the pool with the wrist monitors.

The H7 bluetooth transmits HRM data PERFECTLY to my S610i in the water. As reliably as _any_ previous model.

I wear the Loop on the other wrist, and the Loop does NOT receive HRM data consistently. I can't get a handle on why this is so, there's no logical reason why or why not.

However, your statement that the H7, as I read it-that it does not transmit in the water is just not correct. It works perfectly for a Polar S610i. More reliably than any previous belt iteration, in my experience.

If I've missed something, or erred in my understanding of your statement, please correct me.

brendan
  • SJCon
    Options
    " I am not sure why you are saying you want an H7 to swim with because the Bluetooth signal will not transmit in the water. "

SJcon,

This is simply not correct.

I have worn ALL iterations of Polar chest belts from the start of Polar in the early 90's and have always worn them in the pool with the wrist monitors.

The H7 bluetooth transmits HRM data PERFECTLY to my S610i in the water. As reliably as _any_ previous model.

I wear the Loop on the other wrist, and the Loop does NOT receive HRM data consistently. I can't get a handle on why this is so, there's no logical reason why or why not.

However, your statement that the H7, as I read it-that it does not transmit in the water is just not correct. It works perfectly for a Polar S610i. More reliably than any previous belt iteration, in my experience.

If I've missed something, or erred in my understanding of your statement, please correct me.

brendan

Because the H7 transmits two different signals. One is "Gymlink' and analog and the other is Bluetooth, your wrist unit is designed to pick up the gymlink signal. The Bluetooth will not transmit in the water reliably which is what your Loop is designed to receive. If you look on the Polar forums you will see this stated by Polar them selves, and a lot of angry comments about how there advertising for the Loop was misleading to say the least.
  • SJCon
    Options
    "It could have been the killer product, but i guess i will have to wait for a product that will do it all."

SPG71,

What do you suppose went wrong with the Loop?

I reckon Polar got too used to the churn for $500 devices they wanted to sell you every two years.

Fitbit got under the $100 mark and the competition left Polar having to put out a product before it was ready. Lawdy, the software surely is not.

Polar are getting their butts kicked in public-kinda sad, but deserved. The best of their products work really well, but some aspects of their customer service and software need radical overhaul and money spent.

If fitbit can marry HRM data into the little wristpiece or jewellery of the future-that's where it will be at.

brendan

Loop is not alone here, they released a Bluetooth foot pod as well that does not work correctly but it is due to a software issue, it will not hold a calibration change you set in. The other big negative in my book is that they combined the Flow (read Loop) visibility with their new visibility for their HR products which is called Beat. The Flow and beat do not share any information which should be a very simple web change but apparently not to Polar.The only way to get all of your activity into Loop and its visibility is to NOT use the training visibility and programs you are used to or to wear two chest straps and sensors. I am switching to Garmin with their new Vivofit. That will use Garmin Connect and Garmin is much better at web/app integration.
  • brendanstallard
    Options
    " I am switching to Garmin with their new Vivofit."

SJ,

That looks _very_ interesting indeed. Especially that it is useable in the pool.

Not out till the end of March. I hope they get it right on launch.

What kind of record do Garmin have on products ready to go when in the shops?

This whole area is filled with half-cooked stuff.

I'll probably get one, but I'll be interested in your evaluation.

brendan
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

SJ,

That looks _very_ interesting indeed. Especially that it is useable in the pool.

brendan

Usually pretty good, unless they go for the kitchen sink method again, putting everything in except that. Then it seems like the feature you desire is the one waiting for an upgrade, which they do come.

But they've been much better about their website and improvements too.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/vivofit-activity-monitors.html

Nice full review.
  • Dobba69
    Dobba69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just for reference I have the same issue with Calorie burn on my Polar H6 strap and android Polar Beat.

I found that the problem is that the Vo2 max setting is on the base setting of 20 - this is someone who hasnt moved out of a bed for about 5 years, I had a Vo2 max test done and mine was 54 - I adjusted the Vo2 max setting in Polar Flow and the calorie burn on a gym session went from 602 cals to 1360 which was correct and matched the independant calculations and the results on the cardio equipment.

They dont tell you this on the App so I would guess lots of people are having problems (it took me a few hours to figure this out)
  • SJCon
    Options

SJ,

brendan

Haybales failed to mention that Garmin also uses the "Firstbeat Algorithm" which some consider more accurate for Burn estimations.

This is a good article on the subject also by DCrainmaker http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin.html

Since that was published Garmin is now using Firstbeat in all of their new products I think.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I love my Loop, it does have the option to sync with the H6 or H7 chest strap also. I find it's motivating me to be more active. It does not link up to MFP though. No biggie to me but many prefer the fitbit because of that. Linking it to MFP is a non issue for me personally.

I would recommend this purchase.
  • brendanstallard
    Options
    "I love my Loop,"

KNRA_GRL,

Happy you love your Loop, I do NOT love mine. At all.

" it does have the option to sync with the H6 or H7 chest strap also."

Not in the water, it don't.

I bought the Loop, along with an H7, SPECIFICALLY because Polar said it was waterproof and that it could be used successfully in the pool.

My experience, (and I'm a _very_ experienced Polar user.) is that it is quite simply hit and miss when it does pair with the H7 when in the water--and when it does, the results don't bear ANY comparison to the results obtained with the Polar HRM S610i worn on the other wrist.

The Loop, quite frankly is a bust, IMO and unless Polar get its act together and fix it quick, their reputation will suffer desperate loss. The miserable excuse for a design for the wrist strap must have been put together under the influence of Vodka, it is quite simply, abysmal.

I've now sent five emails to Polar customer support, NONE of which has received a reply.

I could put up with the minor irritations if it simply did what it was supposed to-pair with the H7 when told to, and record the HRM data correctly for synching. IT DOES NOT.

The H7, works as it should. Does exactly what it says on the tin. The Loop (as advertised,) is a piece of toot.

The Fitbit Force is a far more useful piece of kit, that works and does everything it says it should.

The Garmin Evofit looks intriguing, and if it works as advertised, will kill the Loop stone dead and be good competition for the Force.

If somehow, Fitbit add proper HRM data to a device that fits on the wrist securely...or even implant:) That would be a great step forward in this mess of a market.

brendan
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I love my Loop, it does have the option to sync with the H6 or H7 chest strap also. I find it's motivating me to be more active. It does not link up to MFP though. No biggie to me but many prefer the fitbit because of that. Linking it to MFP is a non issue for me personally.

I would recommend this purchase.

I'm with you and I was the biggest Loop hater ever when it first came out. Lol. I was on the verge of sending it back. I've been wearing it now since it's release but the first two months I hated it and spent a lot of time complaining, along with everyone else, on ther Facebook page, etc. Now, I feel that it does what it's supposed to. It's definitely not perfect. I wish the website interface was more user friendly. There was an update this morning but I don't know what that entailed. My complaints areI wish it had a vibration alarm to alert me to no activity as I have a desk job and occasionally I will sync and will see that it only recorded a portion of my workout but some of my workouts are pretty crazy causing my sensor and strap to not lay flat.

I have a Garmin Forerunner that I love and wear for mostly hiking. I have a Polar HRM F11 that I wore for years but I don't use it anymore. I had a Bodybugg too which to me was perfect except for the visibility of it.