I'm partial to Kyler

The name of two of my husband's coworkers. He says "no way!!"
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    I am sad, nobody likes my name :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

lol, what's your name?
  • tiggerhammon
    When you pick one, tell it to a kid and ask them to make fun of it. Don't give your kid a name that will make their life a living hell. For example, a kid named Job will always have the word blow added to his name.

Don't make your child hate you.

That's a good idea. Some names, the common teasing that comes with them isn't usually so bad, others are terrible.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    My son and his wife are expecting a baby in April and he's got a wonderful Italian last name. (I didn't change mine.) I told him if it's a boy he has to name it Vito after his great-great grandfather. Rocco would be a good choice, too.
  • tiggerhammon
    Oliver, Isaac, Ethan and Joseph. Congrats :)

I like Isaac too, however its also taken. As is Joseph and Ethan.
  • tiggerhammon
    I like the names, Caleb, Isaac, Joshua, Conor, But naming a child is a personal thing.
    But also think about the Surname...

I know a few with silly names, like "Conor O' Connor" , "Billy Williams ( William Williams )", "Stephanie Stephenson" LOL

Surname is Davenport
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    I like my son's name - Weston. It suits his personality too :) My daughter also has a pretty name - Ellerie.

If he wasn't Weston, he would have been Owen, but my ex kept saying "OWWWENNNNNN" like throw mama from the train and ruined it for me lol.

I like poet's names too. Weston could have been Tennyson if my ex wasn't so unromantic haha.
  • tiggerhammon
    Just pick something that people can actually spell. You would be amazed at the stupid names people give their kids, and names that their kids regret for the rest of their lives.

This...naming kids is not the time to be unique.

This times elleventy million....

Honestly it's your kid and you'll do what you like, but avoid overly long names as they become a nightmare when filling out official forms.
    Avoid names that are hard to pronounce, it will cause teachers and the child themself hell.
    Avoid anything that can easily be taunted, or is hard to spell

I wouldn't give my child an overly long name or anything too weird. I do however like different spellings. My daughters middle name is Rheane (has an accent mark to make the e say A) instead of the common Ranae.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Nolan
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Voldemort
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Go to a nearby cemetery and look on headstones - it's a good way to find some older, less seldom used names now.

Or, if you have access to your family tree and your husband's, look there. That's where we found our youngest's name (my husbands great-great-grandfather … it's Soren, btw, which is Danish).
  • tiggerhammon
    I was surprised that Luke was considered popular.

I always loved Benjamin and Nathaniel myself.

I guess a lot of where I gauge what is popular is common names with kids around here, and in my daughter's school. I know kids 8 here with the name Luke or Lucas.

Benjamin is also so common here, 4 of them in the same grade as my daughter.

I love the name Nathaniel, but I guess the rest of my family does too, it's been taken twice now,
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Vegeta, Goku or Krillian

lol
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Lincoln. It is my son's name, it isn't super common, but it is a name everyone recognizes and knows how to spell.
  • tiggerhammon
    Voldemort

Cute, no thanks.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Our short list for our son's name was Benjamin, Bradley, or Nicholas. We ended up going with Benjamin.
  • tiggerhammon
    I guess I should back track my words slightly. I said I don't like short names, I meant I don't like the common short names. A short name really is fine, if its not common.
    I am not really looking for the most unique and totally different name, a simple name is fine as long as it isn't common. I actually want to give my child a name that nobody else we know has. I know that probably sounds weird to some of you, I just want them to have their own name. This only goes for family and friends still alive though, looking through genealogy books is a great idea.
    I would love to find a name that is simple but very uncommon, but trying to find a name I like is so hard too. I don't know why, its just me, I don't like boy names, lol.
    I don't think unique spellings are bad. My name is very unique (I have had it looked up in the World Name Database and I am the only one with my name) and I like my name, I was only teased about it once and it was just by an awful kid that had the talent of turning any word or name into an insult. I don't recall it ever being hard to learn to spell, but to this day I still have to spell it for people. Doesn't bother me.
    As far as themes go, my husband is really into guns and we've been toying with some of their names... Winchester, Karr, Ruger ....
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member

As far as themes go, my husband is really into guns and we've been toying with some of their names... Winchester, Karr, Ruger ....

Colton? Colt for short … fits the gun theme, but not too obviously
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    My son is Declan. Common in Ireland but not here although it made some "hot" unique name list recently.
  • tiggerhammon

Colton? Colt for short … fits the gun theme, but not too obviously

I actually really like this! My daughter knows a Colton but I don't know him so ... :p