What boy names do you like?

Options

Replies

• angellover1974
    angellover1974 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My son's name is Javan, it means angel it's also one of Noahs grandson's names so although it sounds unusual it is a very old name.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    A strong name.
    Not one that can rhyme with anything offensive, or that sounds girlie.
    One that is easy to pronounce and spell.
    A name that means something. Naming after a grandfather or favorite uncle, really ties your child to your family history.
    A name that will sound good when he is 50, as well as 5.
    Watch for what his initials will be.
    If you choose to call him by his middle name, know that it might be confusing for teachers and other kids, and professionally later in life.
    If you choose a name that can be shortened, or has a nickname attached to it, be prepared for people to call him possible nicknames, i.e. Richard= Rick, Ricky, or worse. James=Jamie, Jim, Jimmy, etc.
    My husband wanted a name for our son that couldn't be shortened, so we chose Derek. An easy name to spell and pronounce, and not too many around. Only thing is that it can be spelled 2 different ways, and he hates it when people spell it Derrick.

I also liked Jacob, but he didn't want people calling him Jake. But Jacob Alexander would have been the second name if Derek Anthony turned out to be twins!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    My son's name is Javan, it means angel it's also one of Noahs grandson's names so although it sounds unusual it is a very old name.

I love this name! It says it the bible he is regarded as the founder of the Greek race.
    How do you pronounce it? Ja-vin or JaVaughn?
    My husband shut this name down already :( he says he doesn't like the way it sounds.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Mordecai, Elijah, Orion
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    A strong name.
    Not one that can rhyme with anything offensive, or that sounds girlie.
    One that is easy to pronounce and spell.
    A name that means something. Naming after a grandfather or favorite uncle, really ties your child to your family history.
    A name that will sound good when he is 50, as well as 5.
    Watch for what his initials will be.
    If you choose to call him by his middle name, know that it might be confusing for teachers and other kids, and professionally later in life.
    If you choose a name that can be shortened, or has a nickname attached to it, be prepared for people to call him possible nicknames, i.e. Richard= Rick, Ricky, or worse. James=Jamie, Jim, Jimmy, etc.
    My husband wanted a name for our son that couldn't be shortened, so we chose Derek. An easy name to spell and pronounce, and not too many around. Only thing is that it can be spelled 2 different ways, and he hates it when people spell it Derrick.

I also liked Jacob, but he didn't want people calling him Jake. But Jacob Alexander would have been the second name if Derek Anthony turned out to be twins!

I strongly dislike unisex names for that reason. I don't want my son's name confused for a girl's name. (so no Alex, Jamie, Lindsey, Cameron, Taylor....)

My daughter was named after my mother, who died when I was a child, so I like the idea of naming them after family, they just can't be alive still. I really don't like the Junior thing. You wouldn't give two of my children the exact same, why put two people in the same house with the same name?

I like Derek - but have to admit, that isn't how I would spell it.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I have an Alexander ( goes by Alex but has never had the boy/girl issue with it) and a Michael. My husband "gave" me Alex because I had a long and difficult labor/delivery so when Michael was born we went with the name he really liked that I was ok with-William. Didn't work, I tried calling him that and he just wasn't a Will! So Michael he became and it fit him perfectly.

Since you already have a child you probably have thought of this but practice yelling the full name! It's a good way to see if the whole thing works (and with two boys I yelled those full names a lot!).

Totally agree with the advice about teasing, nicknames and weird spellings too!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Liam and Grant
  • lyn_2013
    lyn_2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Jude, Jared. You can tell I like the letter J, right? Congrats! :)
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sam, Ben, Jared :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My son is Parker, but we were going between that and Holden or Ryder in the end.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Personally I love the name Noah. How about Atticus. You could call him a little cuss when he is bad.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    We have a large family and many friends, so I'll toss you a few. :)

Brayden, Greyson, Landon, Logan, Waylon, Carter, Marcus, Wade, Jasten, Liam, Owen, and next week we will have an Oliver.

The 'outdoorsy' names: Hunter, Remington, River, Brantley, Avery (that one is a girl, but is also used as a boys name)
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Jacob, Dean and Troy as well as Anthony are some of my favorites!! Common, but not overused, nothing 'out there'.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Troy is the one name I really liked and wanted to name my boy and my husband said we could use it as a middle name but not a first. If it fits well with whatever first name I end up deciding I like he will have the middle name Troy.

Another "theme" in our family is "tin." My husband, myself and my daughter have the syllable "tin" in our names. We have thought it might be fun to keep the trend going. Kestin, Coltin, Jaxtin, Martin ... are a few we have thought of.
    I am loving all the boy names, keep them coming if you think of more. I am writing down the ones I like and we will see what my husband thinks of some of them when he gets home.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Cooper, Bryce, Noah, Brendan, Brandon, and my personal favorite, albiet pretty mainstrean: Jake. It's my son's name.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My favourite boy names off the top of my head are: Julian, Logan, Skye, William, Daisuke.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Jade, Dustin, Brant, Beckett, Jett, Jager
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,798 Member
    Options
    my boys are Elijah Allen, Aydon Oscar, and Caisen Leroy, I hate how popular Aiden is but at least my sons is uniquely spelled
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I chose Ethan for my son. It's a "normal" name. Easy to spell. And it's just adorable! I also like Harrison, Matthew, and Benjamin. But Ethan won the name contest for us
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Im partial to Jonas, Aric, and Zander (my three boys names)

I also love the name Jensen ;)