whey isolate

Options

Replies

• FitnessMind_SS
    FitnessMind_SS Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joseph Mercola seems like he is a very knowledgeable health expert. Maybe you know somethings about him that I don't?

Dr. Mercola is only one of many health experts that know about soy protein isolate.

Dr. Mehmet Oz from the Dr. Oz show also believe in avoiding soy supplements made from isolated soy components.

I believe in what Dr. Oz would have to say because he is not trying to sell his own products.

First of all Dr. Oz has been repeatedly seen pushing dietary supplements that don't do a damn thing, such as raspberry keytones. It's very likely that the supplements he promotes on his show are "financially encouraging him" to do so.

Secondarily, I would very highly recommend you discontinue your use of Dr Mercola and Dr Oz as sources of information, for your own benefit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joseph Mercola seems like he is a very knowledgeable health expert. Maybe you know somethings about him that I don't?

Dr. Mercola is only one of many health experts that know about soy protein isolate.

Dr. Mehmet Oz from the Dr. Oz show also believe in avoiding soy supplements made from isolated soy components.

I believe in what Dr. Oz would have to say because he is not trying to sell his own products.

First of all Dr. Oz has been repeatedly seen pushing dietary supplements that don't do a damn thing, such as raspberry keytones. It's very likely that the supplements he promotes on his show are "financially encouraging him" to do so.

Secondarily, I would very highly recommend you discontinue your use of Dr Mercola and Dr Oz as sources of information, for your own benefit.

^^what he said also.
  • aysesungur
    Options
    Unfortunately Dr. Mercola does not have a good reputation. Thank you for sharing that piece of information with me.

I have to have faith in some doctors.

I believe that Dr.Oz is reputable.

I have not heard of any supplement having anything to do with this topic. Maybe you can tell me what supplement that is that has to do with this topic? Please.

Let me emphasize that I am only referring to soy protein isolate. Soy in pure forms are fine.

Dr. Dean Ornish is another reputable Dr. that also believes in this.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately Dr. Mercola does not have a good reputation. Thank you for sharing that piece of information with me.

Let me emphasize that I am only referring to soy protein isolate. Soy in pure forms are fine.

I think you should read this:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/dr-oz-revisited/
  • aysesungur
    Options
    SideSteel I appreciate that article.

I know about Dr. Oz's integrative approach to medicine.

I actually like it and find it very intriguing.

It is intriguing to me because I would be ignorant to assume that science is the only source of real knowledge out there in this world.

It is a faith based decision.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

It is intriguing to me because I would be ignorant to assume that science is the only source of real knowledge out there in this world.

You like the fact that he endorses things like raspberry ketones?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I have not heard of any supplement having anything to do with this topic. Maybe you can tell me what supplement that is that has to do with this topic? Please.

Dr Dean Ornish specializes in CAD.

He recommends extremely low fat diets - which is very controversial and can have a lot of negative health impacts. I would not use him as a basis for my nutrition decisions either.
  • Ducey99
    Ducey99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give to those above is to follow research, not people. People often link to website, or videos, or blogs, but rarely to articles.

Maybe Dr. Oz is a 'quack' that doesn't mean he's wrong about everything. People have tend to have opinions. Facts speak for themselves. Reputable, peer-reviewed journal articles are basically the only place I get information with regards to nutrition and health.

You could list a thousand things any of these Dr.'s are wrong about. It has no bearing on whether or not they are correct regarding any other topic. On the flip side, Isaac Newton was into alchemy. The point is, trust science not people.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Whey isolate is much better than soy protein isolate so you have made a good choice. It does not really answer your question but I thought I would share that it is important to stay away from soy protein isolate.

Why is that?

Phytoestogens...estrogens are not your friend if you are trying to build muscle. Estrogens help the female body store fat for healthy pregnancy, among other things. However, if you were a perimenopausal female, then soy protein isolate might help with the symptoms. Your mileage may vary, it doesn't work for everyone. I won't be trying it because I'm allergic to soy beans, but that's a whole other reason to stay away from it.

ETA: this is basic physiology/biology and has nothing to do with GMOs, clean eating or anything particularly controversial in science.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Faith based decision? No, it is an ignorance based decision. "The dangers of soy protein" are not backed by credible science.
  • urbliss777
    Options
    Ask the workers at the supplement store. Whey is used to get to your Protein intake if you can't get that much in food. Just like every one is saying. Body builders need A LOT of protein, and I sure as hell am not able to eat that much chicken breast. haha.
    I asked the guy at the store about Whey Iso or Casein because my brother uses casein. He told me that Whey is good for post workout and is fast acting and Casein is slow acting, you would have it before bed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Whey isolate is much better than soy protein isolate so you have made a good choice. It does not really answer your question but I thought I would share that it is important to stay away from soy protein isolate.

Why is that?

Phytoestogens...estrogens are not your friend if you are trying to build muscle. Estrogens help the female body store fat for healthy pregnancy, among other things. However, if you were a perimenopausal female, then soy protein isolate might help with the symptoms. Your mileage may vary, it doesn't work for everyone. I won't be trying it because I'm allergic to soy beans, but that's a whole other reason to stay away from it.

ETA: this is basic physiology/biology and has nothing to do with GMOs, clean eating or anything particularly controversial in science.

Please look at the link I provided. This ^^ is not supported.
  • Ducey99
    Options
    Link?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Link?

Earlier in the thread. Assuming that is directed at me.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You want to ingest 20-25g of protein immediately following resistance training. Whey protein is an excellent choice. It's also recommended that for maximum benefit this should be taken as a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. Don't over do the protein in one sitting though, because you can't really utilize protein ingested above ~ 30g every 2-3 hours.

If you lift late in the day, you should also consider having some protein right before you go to bed. Here's a study about that. https://secure.footprint.net/gatorade/prd/gssiweb/pdf/117_SSE_Van_Loon.pdf
  • Ducey99
    Options
    Link?

Ya, sorry! I just can't find it..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I need to get to my other computer to pull more, but:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378106
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Link?

ooop - sorry. Got my threads confused :flowerforyou:
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    1. eat ANYTHING with protein
    2. lift
    3. hydrate
    4. rest properly
    5. repeat steps 1 through 4 to acquire desired results

From my experience: Whey and creatine is an expensive waste when I have a freezer stock full of delicious chicken breasts. Too each their own though.
  • Ducey99
    Options
    Link?

ooop - sorry. Got my threads confused :flowerforyou:

Whew! I thought I was losing it haha