nail biting

Options
Nail biters,
Do you like the feeling of biting your nails?

Replies

• kodaks
    kodaks Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its so much a like, as just something I do when I am stressed or anxious. It is a behavior I've been working to try end, however its really hard because its now such a natural thing to me.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Not really?

I've done it since I was in middle school... and that was YEARS ago. It's just something I do when I get anxious/worry or feel over-whelmed. Plus... I can't STAND nails.
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It is not so much a like to do type thing...I typically don't even know I'm doing it. When I am driving, I zone out and bite them. I bite them when one gets snagged (which makes growing them near impossible). In the past I have grown all of them but one...then the nail breaks, I tear it off then chew it until it's 'even'. I'm slightly OCD about them when I do have nails.
  • jpace00
    Options
    I don't think anyone "likes" to do this. I bite my nails and my cuticles really badly. It's a terrible habit that hurts my work life and my ability to meet women (it's not an attractive or confident habit) It's mostly a nervous thing that becomes completely second nature to you and you end up not even realizing you're doing it. I wish I knew of something to help me stop other then just "don't do it" which is so hard when you don't realize it until you're already doing it.

@Anna, I completely agree! I do that all the time. I'll be trying to quit, bite one then have to finish the nail. Then before you know it I've done all of them. :(
  • kodaks
    kodaks Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago hearing about a product that you would put on your nails that made them taste foul - has anybody had any experience with such a product?
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've heard there is a nasty tasting nail polish that can help with nail biting
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    No, I hate it. It hurts my jaw and teeth, makes my fingers bleed and sting and yet I can't bring myself to stop. It's hard to break an addiction when that addiction is literally attached to your hands. I hate it and I want to stop but I do it without even noticing :cry:
    The gross-tasting polish stuff doesn't work, I just get used to the taste (quickly too- within hours) and chew anyway.

The only thing that even semi-works for me is false nails. I DIY them as I am too ashamed to ever go to a 'proper' place. I still bite the fake nails but that's okay. At least my hands look normal in the meantime. The thing is that I must be vigilant and replace them immediately when they fall off/are removed. This is not always at a practical time so if it's even an hour between taking them off and replacing them then they're chewed.

There's no real solution :cry:
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I hate biting my nails - hands looks ugly as well...Not cool, wish I could stop.
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i hate biting my nails but do it when I'm anxious. i go through spurts of anxiety and stop biting my nails because i get nervous about germs. I'm weird don't ask.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i dont like that i do it, but there is a bit of satisfaction when you get it "just right"

but do you log the calories?
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I stopped biting them when I started using the very nasty dip fingernail polish remover and painting my nails daily. That stuff tastes awful :P
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nail biters,
    Do you like the feeling of biting your nails?

I bite my nails due to "compulsive overgrooming", which is related to OCD, skin-picking, and trichotillomania. I "like it" in that both my nails and cuticles feel like they don't belong on my body and I basically have to remove them as soon as I notice they are there. If my nails and cuticles get long enough that I notice their existence, it's like an itch in my brain that doesn't go away until I find a way to remove them. It's less about pleasure than it is about ending a nagging irritation.

I know it's not attractive and I do wish I could stop, but on the other hand, I am 40 and it really hasn't affected my life in any significant way at all.

I've tried the nail polish, false nails, and hypnosis. The nail polish doesn't work at all. False nails work in the short term, so I'll wear them for special occasions. Hypnosis worked briefly - I actually had my own real nails for close to two months, but I couldn't keep it up.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I dont bite them, but would obsessively pick at them when bored or nervous. Its been hard but I think I finally beat that habit, anytime I wanted to pick at them I would grab a nail file and gently file until the tick would pass.

I now have nails that look like french manicures. I think its like anything that requires will power. The more you work at it, the easier it gets.
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As several other posters have pointed out it's not a question of "liking" so much as obsessively doing. I've been a nail biter for as long as I can remember. It was especially bad if I was anxious or stressed. I was only able to stop once I started college and spent so much time taking notes that I didn't have time to bite them all and they grew on their own. But even now I can only avoid biting them by making sure the edges are very even and smooth at all times. I always have a nail file on me for this purpose. Otherwise, if the nail became uneven or ragged I would bite it to the quick, wouldn't be able to stop myself.
  • julieannezen
    julieannezen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have bitten my nails since age 4 and find myself doing it when I don't even know I am doing it.
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will bite mine when I am stressed. I don't really think about what I'm doing, I just think 'well, this nail is uneven so I'll gnaw on it a bit" . I will just look at my nails later and see these nasty jagged little nubs and think "Why did I do that!".

The one thing that helps for me is keeping my nails perfectly, neatly filed and painted. Then I also try to drink water or chew gum when I feel like biting my nails (I really like to take a walk or listen to music when I'm stressed but that isn't always possible). I do a lot of outdoorsy stuff, crafting, and yard work so I am really hard on my nails and when they start to get messed up I just give up and bite them, but painting them regularly has helped a LOT.

I know I do it because of stress because when I go on vacation I come back with nice, long nails. I don't even feel that stressed but I guess I take it all out on my poor nails!
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've heard there is a nasty tasting nail polish that can help with nail biting

My mum tried one on me when I was little, and liked the flavour lol.

For me, nail biting is more of a boredom thing
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    I like the sound of biting nails, that clack you get.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    No, I can't stand it. It took about 10 years to break the habit, and I like how my nails look now.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I chewed on my fingers and nails until a year ago. I even went so far as to wear gel artificials (I did them myself as well) for close to a decade straight. Even still, I would bite hangnails til things went really bad.

Something just snapped last year under some really bad stress, and I haven't bitten them since. Now I get grumpy when one breaks like my right thumb did thanks to an awkward grab of the curl bar. >.<

I know mine was a form of self-harm and was greatly related to stress and anxiety. It's a miracle that I haven't started up again with the way this year has been. I think it's that I'm too proud of having overcome it after an entire lifetime of a baaaaad habit.