nail biting

Options

Replies

• numejak
    numejak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to bit my nails down until they bled. I hated it but it was compulsive habitual behavior. Then several years ago I read somewhere there was a study done that showed nail-biters were also very bad decision-makers. That's all it took and I have not bitten my nails since!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I used to bit my nails down until they bled. I hated it but it was compulsive habitual behavior. Then several years ago I read somewhere there was a study done that showed nail-biters were also very bad decision-makers. That's all it took and I have not bitten my nails since!

Saving that for later.

No I hated the feeling. I stopped a month ago and now I'm taking biotin :-/
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Nope not anymore I try not to bite my nails and instead cut them :)
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I bit my nails from birth to early 30s. I hated my hands, and I had lots of novel ways of holding my hands in such a position so no-one could see my nails.
    This product was the one that helped break the habit for me - Flexitol Cuticle & Nail Cream: http://www.flexitol.com/il/products/nail-care/cuticle-nail-cream
    It moisturises your cuticles and all that jazz - BUT when you stick your hand in your mouth it takes HORRIBLE and the oily taste won't go away for hours. Honestly, it was the only thing that worked for me.
    I haven't bitten in a few years (except a couple of minor lapses).
    I love to show my hands now - they look great!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Nail clippers are better.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    Absolutely not. When I bit my nails, I often bit them so far down my fingers would bleed and then get infected. My fingers hurt so much. I didn't usually realize I was biting my nails. When I actively tried to stop biting them I couldn't, but, about 6 months ago I just stopped. I don't know why, I wasn't trying to, one day I just noticed I had nails. I occasionally bite them when they aren't smooth, but, nothing like I used to.
  • megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh well, There is something missing in all the comments I see here. Can you guess what it is?
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago hearing about a product that you would put on your nails that made them taste foul - has anybody had any experience with such a product?

Yes I have some, unfortunately it also makes anything you touch taste foul too so I had to stop eating sandwiches and only eat knife and fork based lunches :p
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    God I love it. It is so satisfying. Mmm.

But I hate the feeling afterward. Guilt. Shame. Ugliness. Pain.

I have struggled for years with trying to stop. I wear the nasty stuff that makes your nails taste super bitter. Some days I will just bitetrough it no matter how bad it tastes. I have been using that stuff for nearly 4 years. I cannot stop. I can keep it under control but I cannot stop. I have to really force myself to just keep it under control. Hopefully someday I will quit.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't know but i do know that the biting of them burns off the cals of the eating them and then though the stress it takes to do it packs on all teh lbs!!!!!!!!!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Oh well, There is something missing in all the comments I see here. Can you guess what it is?

in ..... for entertainment and curiosity

How many threads on nail biting have you started, OP?
  • latewinter
    Options
    I remember years ago hearing about a product that you would put on your nails that made them taste foul - has anybody had any experience with such a product?

eww i friend gave me some back when i was in school i tried it once and threw up after trying to bit my nails it was so foul.but i stopped using it. i bite my nails basically for any reason lol i wouldnt know what else to do if i couldnt bite my nails lol mabey knit lol
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to log those fingernails people!

(For reelz, found it in the database :tongue: ).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nail biting could be good for you.

The bugs we encounter when biting our nails could boost our immune system

It’s a habit most sufferers try hard to give up, but it may actually be good for you, says Dr Hilary Longhurst, consultant immunologist from the Bart’s NHS Trust.

‘Unless your hands are filthy, the bugs we encounter when biting our nails could boost our immune system.’

This is because our immune system has a memory, making a note of how to fight every bug it has ever encountered.

When a bug is encountered a second time, the immune system reaches into its memory and releases weapons — called memory lymphocytes — that it knows will beat it.

So, regular nail biting exposes us to small amounts of potentially immune-boosting bugs. (The same principle applies to picking your nose and consuming the result. ‘It won’t harm you, though you’ll be a social outcast,’ she says.)

Dr Longhurst suggests biting our nails might be an evolutionary hangover.

‘In caveman times, we wouldn’t have had scissors, so biting our nails would have been the only way we could keep them short and prevent us injuring ourselves.’

The added benefit was that our immune systems learned to deal with bugs we encountered.

http://www.drakezeke.com/the-bad-habits-that-can-be-good-for-you/
  • megan_h26
    Options
    Thank you all, what else do you know?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options

Oral fixation? I know I have one.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    My compulsion to biting my nails is so bad. It nearly has killed me. No exaggeration.
    I bit my pinky nail once and tore the hang nail off. It got infected and I had blood poisoning. I could see the purple line of infection up my arm.
  • megan_h26
    Options
    Anything else you wanna mention?
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to pick the skin until it bled and bite my nails to the quick, but found having shellac on them helps tremendously!