*Our* Bodies

Options
2»

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying be supportive of self destructive behavior. I'm saying phrase your disagreement in a way that doesn't invalidate their experience with their own body. It's easy enough to do with wording.

i've noticed something on this site. almost all of the lectures about how to give advice come from people that can't be bothered to actually give advice.

serious question, how would you know? you had all of 80 posts in 6 months, so how could you know how easy it is to give advice that's actually helpful, encouraging and actionable without offending the delicate sensibilities of other people? not to mention the fact that different people like to get advice in different ways but you're assuming everyone is a monolith that happens to like it your way.

lead by example. 5 days a week for the next 3 months, pick out 5-10 posts per day that you feel qualified to answer and give advice in the carefully worded way that you're describing. THEN come back and lecture me on how easy it is to help people without offending them. THEN come back and tell me the right way to correct someone that's giving out false and possibly harmful information. let me know how it goes.
    QFT
    0WitLYH.gif
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    NO YOU'RE WRONG.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn the One True Way™ to interact on the internet.

This made me chuckle. Thanks!
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying be supportive of self destructive behavior. I'm saying phrase your disagreement in a way that doesn't invalidate their experience with their own body. It's easy enough to do with wording.

i've noticed something on this site. almost all of the lectures about how to give advice come from people that can't be bothered to actually give advice.

serious question, how would you know? you had all of 80 posts in 6 months, so how could you know how easy it is to give advice that's actually helpful, encouraging and actionable without offending the delicate sensibilities of other people? not to mention the fact that different people like to get advice in different ways but you're assuming everyone is a monolith that happens to like it your way.

lead by example. 5 days a week for the next 3 months, pick out 5-10 posts per day that you feel qualified to answer and give advice in the carefully worded way that you're describing. THEN come back and lecture me on how easy it is to help people without offending them. THEN come back and tell me the right way to correct someone that's giving out false and possibly harmful information. let me know how it goes.
    QFT
    0WitLYH.gif

++++ 1
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

x2

I stopped giving advice. People don't want to hear it.

Ditto!!!! Let em stay fat for all I care.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

And I'm bloody glad you do, as its people like you who still persevere with giving good advice that I learn from. Thank you
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn the One True Way™ to interact on the internet.

+1 :smile:
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I really think everyone is different and we all need to listen to our body and figure out what works for us. Sharing what has worked for us as a suggestion is one thing but telling someone that what they are doing is wrong, I think should be avoided. I wasn't raised by a mom that was constantly telling me what I was doing wrong, she was great to let me know when I was doing something that was right. And, then tried in a positive way to guide me away or show me when I was doing something wrong. Never did she condem when I was doing something harmful or stupidly wrong. So I try to follow her example. We could all learn from her example.