Healthy Coffee

Options
13»

Replies

• here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I went from a heavy fake creamer habit to black coffee by scaling back slowly; now black coffee seems more natural to me, lol. When I do put things in, I use measure out half an ounce of heavy cream and add a teaspoon of sugar; it's still not a *huge* amount of calories and is tasty. :D
    Exactly what I did! I only use a tiny bit of cream or sugar for "restaurant" coffee. It's usually to strong for me.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's not the coffee that's unhealthy--it's what you're putting in it. I drink mine with a splash of 1% milk. I used to use fat free half and half until I realized how much sugar was in it. There's so much junk in flavored creamers (palm oil, corn syrup, etc.) that I'm not sure they're a step in the right direction. Adding some cinnamon to your coffee (or even to the grounds before you brew) is a good natural way to add some flavor to your coffee.

If you have a Keurig, Cafe Escapes makes some flavored coffees. I like a mocha now and then, and they're only 60 calories. I'm pretty sure they make a carmel one, too. Those are about the only flavored coffees I ever drink, but I have colleagues who go nuts of over some of the flavored K-cups. I tried a Chocolate Donut one at work one day after my boss raved about it, and I thought it was pretty gross. But hey, to each their own.
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Monin sugar free syrup if you like it flavoured. Comes in a variety of flavours. Almond milk in coffee doesn't do it for me. I use semi skimmed milk. Measure 100 ml in the morning and set it aside in a small container in the fridge. It's enough for 2 coffees and a black tea.
  • ryandeceptacon
    ryandeceptacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just swap whole milk for skimmed milk... problem solved.

Better still, drink it black.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate sucralose/Spelnda then the Torani flavored syrups have a line of sugar free ones. I got my dad the Irish Cream flavor for his coffee (he's diabetic) and he likes it. I couldn't tell you what they taste like, as sucralose makes me horribly sick.

I prefer my coffee with just a little non-dairy creamer and don't use sweeteners at all. I've scaled back on how much I use and am almost to just black now. I will also buy a flavored coffee and mix it with my standard so its not overly strong, and it makes the expensive one last longer.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    When I want to simulate a creamy sweet coffee drink, I use a French vanilla or hazelnut coffee and add stevia and some milk. I sometimes steam the milk to get that whipped kind of mouth feel.
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would measure how much you use normally, then gradually cut down each day. By 30 days, one TBS of creamer may taste as good as 3. I drink my coffee black most of the time but when I do creamer, I make sure to measure it and log the calories...they definitely add up.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There are some pretty tasty flavored coffees available. Just get one that suits your taste.
    If you must have creamer, you could try using fat free half and half - approx. 20cals for 2 tbsp.
    ETA: use something like Truvia or Stevia for the sweet. Good luck!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I get the dark roast coffee at the local coffee shop with a bit of stevia and then sprinkle it with plain cocoa powder. It's yummy.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love my flavored coffee too although I am working on transitioning to less sweet.

My two faves are Green Mountain blueberry coffee with a little almond milk and Timothy's cinnamon pastry coffee with coconut milk.

Every so often, I get a craving for a skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks, but now they are getting to sweet for me...LOL. I found out that they use 4 pumps of vanilla so now I ask for it with 2 pumps...:drinker: :drinker:
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I drink flavored coffees (currently, Coconut Mocha Donut Shop K-Cups) with just about a 1/2 tablespoon of almond milk and sometimes a packet or two of Splenda.

Occasionally I get sugar-free creamers or syrups for added flavor. Sugar-free caramel syrup (made with Splenda) is one of my favorites.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I still drink coffee as well. I use Stevia, but I used the vanilla kind that comes in the packets like sweet-n-low. It is really good. I might also add a bit of half-and-half to it if we are eating out!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying I love coffee. I'll drink it black, whitened, sweetened, watered down, extra strong, or however else you're going to make it--as long as it's hot. Cold coffee does not Rodger my Hammerstein.

That said, it doesn't sound like the coffee you're already making and drinking (with whole milk and syrup) is unhealthy. Unless the diet/challenge you're looking to do specifically states that you can't have dairy or sugar, I'd just keep doing what you're doing if that's how you love your brew. I put whole milk in my coffee a couple times a week and I don't feel badly about it for even a single second. Hey, I'll even put sugar in it and still feel good about that delicious drink.

Drink your coffee the way you like to drink it--you can probably make it work for your diet.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcajY-3M5vlDekH5tUkMF3cAyCjOFuD4-_AWaRd3PH_3gHIe9f8w