Co-Worker Claims His Workout Is Superior

Options
Not really sure where to post this, so if it has to be moved then it has to be moved.

Somehow we got into a discussion on what kind of workouts each of us like to do. He told me he only does 30 minutes of walking over day, and no more. When he asked what I did, I told him that I do a combination of cardio and weight lifting three to four times a week, for about two and a half hours. He then proceeds to tell me that weights are useless and dangerous, and strength training does nothing - either with weight loss or losing inches. He's somewhat flabby and has a penchant for junk food and carbs.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. :( Definitely need some support on this one. :(

Replies

• PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Why the hell would you need support to swat down something that stupid? He's either messing with you or he's a humongous moron.

EDIT: You are perfectly fine and doing everything as you should.
  • robinsondel
    Options
    Not really sure where to post this, so if it has to be moved then it has to be moved.

Somehow we got into a discussion on what kind of workouts each of us like to do. He told me he only does 30 minutes of walking over day, and no more. When he asked what I did, I told him that I do a combination of cardio and weight lifting three to four times a week, for about two and a half hours. He then proceeds to tell me that weights are useless and dangerous, and strength training does nothing - either with weight loss or losing inches. He's somewhat flabby and has a penchant for junk food and carbs.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. :( Definitely need some support on this one. :(

I'm just now really starting out, and I'm by no means a professional...but it should be pretty obvious, that more exercise is better. I'm pretty sure that you already know that the comment "weights are useless and dangerous" is the biggest piece of crap advice anyone can give you. Sounds to me like someone who thinks they are getting fit, is jealous that you are actually attempting it and it just brings more attention to how little he is doing. Like I said, I'm just starting out and I'm already getting a lot of negative comments about what I'm doing from other fat people in my life who are too lazy or not motivated enough to do something about their own situation.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    He then proceeds to tell me that weights are useless and dangerous, and strength training does nothing - either with weight loss or losing inches. He's somewhat flabby and has a penchant for junk food and carbs.

er...I think you have answered your own question.....he has no idea what he is talking about
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Of course he does. Lol. Would you expect him to say, "I'm too lazy to do what you are doing even though it is better."? Stupid is as stupid does.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why the hell would you need support to swat down something that stupid? He's either messing with you or he's a humongous moron.

this
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    really, you need support?

to tell you that your tubby coworker hasn't discovered the magical walking secret?

alrighty then.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    He's just challenging you. Rise above it and ignore him from here on in like he's invisible.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

post-15478-Nathan-Fillion-speechless-gif-esWR.gif
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

this

+1
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    He is an idiot or winding you up...or both.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What the what? He's clearly in denial.:noway:
  • mrsmaslin
    mrsmaslin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    it isn't necessary to workout for 2.5 hours a day to get results.

im massively into women weight lifting. and it really does work wonders for us!

lift heavy. get results. a weight lifting programme shouldn't take you longer than 45-60 minutes in the gym.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Just look at your own ticker to see how well you are doing!! Sounds like this guy is trying to defend his lack of exercise (compared to yours)by putting yours down. As you say he is flabby and eats junk food all the time. Would you take his nutritional advice too?

*Also just noticed you are female. Unfortunately some guys still get hung up on women lifting especially when they lift heavy. The fact that he is trying to dismiss you lifting is because it does not just make him feel lazy but also less masculine as he knows you could probably lift more than him.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'd smile and say "That's an interesting hypothesis" and then change the subject.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Well if it is working for you.......then who care what he think?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    He is an idiot or winding you up...or both.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I had somebody at work say almost exactly the same thing to me. He said that walking the dog every day gave him all the exercise he needed and that I was nuts for working out any more than this. I asked him if he wanted me to put that in his eulogy? :huh:
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    There are some people in this world who clearly need to be junk punched.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym several times a week. I lift weights alternate days, I am becoming leaner, and stronger, and fitter. I would like to compare my last 3 month before and after pictures with your co-worker. Are you doing 2 1/2 hours per day, that does seem a bit excessive. Most people I know max out at 60-90 minutes.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to buy him a pair of 2 lb. dumbbells for his 30 minute walks (get em the pink ones)....... :laugh: Keep on doing what your doing and don't listen to those that know nothing of what they speak....... Best of Luck